Lottery is up to $500 Million - How would you spend it?

Why would people give to charity but not give it to people "who ask"...just curious

I would buy a strip club or start one, for sure.

I would make sure I had a cool house with a bad ass pool

I would make sure some of my friends could "retire" with me cause if they were not free I would be bored

Because more often than not it's some one looking to mooch, or for a free handout. The history of people coming into to quick money is littered with stories of their demise by giving to friend of friends and distant relations till it was ALL gone.

No, I get that...but say you are going to give 100,000 a year to a charity...why not just dish that out to "regular" people instead?

Your money could be all gone with giving it to a charity too.

Why would people give to charity but not give it to people "who ask"...just curious

I would make sure some of my friends could "retire" with me cause if they were not free I would be bored

Because more often than not it's some one looking to mooch, or for a free handout. The history of people coming into to quick money is littered with stories of their demise by giving to friend of friends and distant relations till it was ALL gone.

No, I get that...but say you are going to give 100,000 a year to a charity...why not just dish that out to "regular" people instead?

They probably feel like they are giving it to some place that knows what they are doing, and can put it to good use.

I'd say giving a person that much money is like giving a transient 20 bucks on the street. You hope he will get a meal with it, or go a shelter and help themselves, but more than likely it will go to alcohol or drugs. You're better of giving them a meal or taking them to a shelter to find a long term solution.

I honestly don't know if I would be really quick to "give away" a big chunk of my winnings. Yeah, that may be a selfish thing to say, but I would like to be able to live on my winnings for a while and know that I could do so, before giving it to some charity. I am not saying the charities don't have worthy causes, but I would need to make sure I still have a good chunk of my cash after 10-15 years before I start giving it away in spades.

• Fire 1

If I won that type of money. I'd try to buy the Dallas Cowboys and or the Texas University. That way I can have the satisfaction of getting rid of those football teams. That would be my contribution to the world.

As for giving it to the homeless. I wouldn't do that either. I use to help them when I could. But I've seen some get into nicer cars than I was driving at the time. Even witness a friend offer one work. The homeless man who was holding a sign will work for food. Declined to work for the food offered saying I'd just rather have the money.

Because of exactly what he said.

This is exactly why I said I would set up a foundation with a board of directors that would be in charge of donating the money to people/organizations that need it in the community. That charitable organization insulates you away from your uncle Fred's aquarium guy's niece who has a son dyeing of three kinds of cancer and he only needs $1,000,000 and he will be saved.