A New Rival

Since we don't play OU everyear nor any of the Big 12 South's teams, do we need a new rival? CU years ago claimed us under the Red Letter Day on their calendar, but many of their fans, mostly students, are so vile. We're their rival, but who cares? Maybe we can select another Big 12 North team that would most likely be a real threat to our season.

This year, I'm guessing that our best competition for the North title is ISU. Barney Cotton stated last year, before we played them, that they were the REAL Red! MO, KSU and KU lost a lot of players, although the Purple (with Freeman) might be a fun rival. What do you boys and girls think?

Since we don't play OU everyear nor any of the Big 12 South's teams, do we need a new rival? CU years ago claimed us under the Red Letter Day on their calendar, but many of their fans, mostly students, are so vile. We're their rival, but who cares? Maybe we can select another Big 12 North team that would most likely be a real threat to our season.

This year, I'm guessing that our best competition for the North title is ISU. Barney Cotton stated last year, before we played them, that they were the REAL Red! MO, KSU and KU lost a lot of players, although the Purple (with Freeman) might be a fun rival. What do you boys and girls think?

Having spent some time near Ames,Iowa.I think ISU is more fixated with Iowa than anyone else.and having a few of those inbred KSU fans posting here on occasion,let's pick on them. :restore2

Sorry folks, but I'm a traditionalist.

OU will always be our top rival, and we should change the Big 12 schedule so as to make that game a yearly battle.

I grew up watching #1 Nebraska battle #2 Oklahoma, or vice versa.

College football just isn't the same without it...

While I hate Iowa State more than any other team, I'll have to second that Oklahoma be put on the schedule every year. It would be preferable if the game returned to the post-Thanksgiving position.

:restore2

no doubt. Oklahoma is our rival. we OWN the north teams but our record vs. Oklahoma reflects that we were far more evenly matched back in the day. The days of Switzer vs Osbourne are gone unfortunately and The Big XII really fubar'd that. I think the people from texas had their way with that to draw all the attention to Oklahoma vs. Texas...

Really... there is no team in the north that I would make a traditional rival. Oklahoma and Nebraska were 1,2 in the big eight EVERY year. All of the other programs in the north go up and down year to year, so we can try to pick out a rival like Kansas State, or Colorado, or now Iowa State, but those programs are not sustainable programs with the tradition and money that Nebraska has. Now Oklahoma and Texas on the other hand...

Unfortunately the game will never be a every year occurance, unless the conference changes. Oklahoma considers us great game, but their rival is Texas. They would never change that. They think of us with respect but we are a second tier rival in their minds. Something like Colorado but not the hatred towards us that we seem to display against Colorado.

We really do not have a rival game. I would like to see something from the Big 10 develop. Iowa, Michigan or Ohio State would be great. Penn State would be a fun one too. We have quite a history with them.

Sorry folks, but I'm a traditionalist.

OU will always be our top rival, and we should change the Big 12 schedule so as to make that game a yearly battle.

I grew up watching #1 Nebraska battle #2 Oklahoma, or vice versa.

College football just isn't the same without it...

When the Big 12 was formed NEBRASKA and OU petitioned the conference do play each year with the 2 off years being Non-Conference, Both teams were turned down. - I say ksu, they have a 5-3 record since Osborne retired - and it would drive cu insane if we designated ksu as a rival.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a team outside of the North that we play annually. It would be interesting if Pederson would get a long term contract with someone. I agree PSU would be interesting! The difficulty of that happening is that elite teams tend to not want a potential loss before conference play. So, they contract for only a couple of years. The USC game is an example. An independent Notre Dame only did a back to back, as well. The have probably regreted it. CU, historically, has had great pre-conference schedules, but the payout for the visitor couldn't be terrific with the attendance in Boulder.

By the way does anyone know what UT's attendance is in Austin? We should have 80K for that game in Lincoln.

Darrel Royal stadium holds 80, 082. Which was filled to capacity by Nebraska in 1999. Their largest turnout ever.

That would really be the best rival game. They have the money of the south and Nebraska has the money of the north.

Pretty good fans too. Very loyal. I went to the Holiday bowl several times when they played there. Really enjoyed them, not as much as the Texas Tech group though.

I COMPLETELY agree that KSU and CU are NU's new rivals. Yep, let's send both schools a postcard a note telling them so. That way, instead of posting on our schedule each year KSU and CU, we can replace their names with 'Quasimoto' and 'Pippi Longsocking'.

Who says we need a rival? That is just an overhyped term used to sell tickets. Yes, OU used to be one. No, unless something changes, they're not. Last I checked, Nebraska doesn't need assistance selling tickets due to one opponent.

Please, NU, don't succumb to the media and other schools into dedicating a 'rival'. All that does is make a team nervous and think it's do or die if NU defeats them or not. Last I checked, Nebraska should have that attitude game in and game out without ANY title.