Safeties - The Battle to Start with Gerry

Can we reserve some of these pick six amd use them as points in actual games??

I'm sure there will be plenty. Unfortunately I think they might be going on the other teams side. All these picks in practice are making me question if Riley's offense is going to turn into Callahan 2.0.

Our DB's have always been a strength. Inconsistent passing has also been a consistent factor. If we pass more, I expect more int's until the coaching kicks in....

Banker said true freshman Aaron Williams is taking almost all the second-team reps at Safety.

So first team: Gerry, Alexander. Second team: Williams and Williams?

It's still pretty tough to tell with the Red/White split. Cockrell had been getting a lot of the first-team reps until they started working on the Nickel package then he went to Nickel.

I think all it means for now is that Williams has worked to the top of the White team. Not sure if that's actually the second team.

Wow. I take it Cockrell is the usual safety but moves to nickelback in the nickel package? What happened to all the Leroy/Kieron noise?

Yes, Cockrell has been working at Nickel. But it's still tough to tell with the Red/White split. I think Alexander and Williams are on the White. Williams has been working with the "third team" who are also on the Red squad so they are the guys who rotate in with the "starters". Good for Williams but I'm not sure it definitely means he's ahead of the other two. Same issue with Stoltenberg at DT. A couple guys reported that he was getting first team reps with VV out today but that's on the Red squad while Williams and Maurice are on the White squad so I'm not sure you can take much from that.

Wow. I take it Cockrell is the usual safety but moves to nickelback in the nickel package? What happened to all the Leroy/Kieron noise?

Yes, Cockrell has been working at Nickel. But it's still tough to tell with the Red/White split. I think Alexander and Williams are on the White. Williams has been working with the "third team" who are also on the Red squad so they are the guys who rotate in with the "starters". Good for Williams but I'm not sure it definitely means he's ahead of the other two. Same issue with Stoltenberg at DT. A couple guys reported that he was getting first team reps with VV out today but that's on the Red squad while Williams and Maurice are on the White squad so I'm not sure you can take much from that.

Makes sense, thanks Mav.

• 2 weeks later...

And, at safety: Nate Gerry, Byerson Cockrell, LeRoy Alexander, Kieron Williams and Aaron Williams, the latter a true freshman who may have had as good a camp as any of the early enrollees.

Speaking highly in midspring of the player from Atlanta, defensive coordinator Mark Banker said: "I don't know exactly what he did in preparation, but it's obvious he's a good player from the standpoint that he has what we refer to as F.B.I. — football instincts."
Stewart has been just as impressed with the 5-foot-11, 185-pounder's speedy transition to this level.
"He's one of those guys that should be getting ready for his prom right now. I'm most excited about his learning," Stewart said. "Everything's important to him, whether it's Coach Banker talking to him or myself. And he takes what you say from the meeting room onto the field immediately. I think he's going to be one to watch. I don't know how it's all going to shake out. We still have training camp ahead of us, but I thought he had a great spring."

LJS

• 1 month later...