2015 MLB Thread

He had a decent year last year yes but he's given up 16 earned runs in 5 starts this year. Both him and Lester as well as the bullpen have been hugely disappointing this year although Lester seems to be looking somewhat better. Regardless it's only April but I still think next year or the year after are more likely years for the Cubs to make a serious run. The hitting potential is there and it's young. Rizzo, Kris Bryant, Jorge Soler and Addison Russell who currently has a 9 game hitting streak. The pitching needs to be there too however which is pretty obvious. Without question it needs to improve. The Cubs aren't done putting this staff together though and thankfully so.

He had a decent year last year yes but he's given up 16 earned runs in 5 starts this year. Both him and Lester as well as the bullpen have been hugely disappointing this year although Lester seems to be looking somewhat better. Regardless it's only April but I still think next year or the year after are more likely years for the Cubs to make a serious run. The hitting potential is there and it's young. Rizzo, Kris Bryant, Jorge Soler and Addison Russell who currently has a 9 game hitting streak. The pitching needs to be there too however which is pretty obvious. Without question it needs to improve. The Cubs aren't done putting this staff together though and thankfully so.

I'll admit I'm a little biased with Hendricks because my wife and I actually have met him and spent some time with him when we were on a Cubs destination weekend last year in Chicago. He is really a nice guy (at least seemed that way) and after last year, I am hoping he really catches on and has a good career with the Cubs.

I haven't been this optimistic with the Cubs since I lived in Des Moines and watched players like Kerry Wood, Mark Prior and Cory Patterson come up through and almost get us to the WS. The young bats are there and (I agree) it may take a year or so for them to fully develop.

I have heard discussion about possibly dealing Castro for another pitcher. If that happens, Russell would move to short (his natural position) and we would need to find a second baseman. Right now, we have a ton of pitchers on the roster and (again, I agree) the bull pen has been struggling. Hopefully getting Grim back helps that. If we could find middle relief it would be a huge step forward. We have been struggling with that for the last several years.

Yesterdays game was filled with horrible fielding, batting and pitching. Other than that, it was pretty good :) However, the Cards are on fire and they are going to make one heck of a lot of teams look like that this year. Right now, it looks like we are playing for just trying to win the wild card. However, there is a slight chink in their armor. They have been using their bull pen way too much. If they wear them out, they could go on a streak where they lose quite a few they should have won.

• Fire 1

I'll admit I'm a little biased with Hendricks because my wife and I actually have met him and spent some time with him when we were on a Cubs destination weekend last year in Chicago. He is really a nice guy (at least seemed that way) and after last year, I am hoping he really catches on and has a good career with the Cubs.

I haven't been this optimistic with the Cubs since I lived in Des Moines and watched players like Kerry Wood, Mark Prior and Cory Patterson come up through and almost get us to the WS. The young bats are there and (I agree) it may take a year or so for them to fully develop.

I have heard discussion about possibly dealing Castro for another pitcher. If that happens, Russell would move to short (his natural position) and we would need to find a second baseman. Right now, we have a ton of pitchers on the roster and (again, I agree) the bull pen has been struggling. Hopefully getting Grim back helps that. If we could find middle relief it would be a huge step forward. We have been struggling with that for the last several years.

Yesterdays game was filled with horrible fielding, batting and pitching. Other than that, it was pretty good :) However, the Cards are on fire and they are going to make one heck of a lot of teams look like that this year. Right now, it looks like we are playing for just trying to win the wild card. However, there is a slight chink in their armor. They have been using their bull pen way too much. If they wear them out, they could go on a streak where they lose quite a few they should have won.

That weekend your wife and you had sounds like a blast. I'm with you too in that I haven't been this optimistic about the Cubs since 2003 or the Bartman year! Yeah the Cards are basically the team to beat and the barometer in terms of how we measure up but other than last night the Cubs really had an amazing offensive series. You are totally right about the bullpen being used too much. Thankfully Cub fans have something to be halfway excited about this year because they are a fun team to watch!

That weekend your wife and you had sounds like a blast. I'm with you too in that I haven't been this optimistic about the Cubs since 2003 or the Bartman year! Yeah the Cards are basically the team to beat and the barometer in terms of how we measure up but other than last night the Cubs really had an amazing offensive series. You are totally right about the bullpen being used too much. Thankfully Cub fans have something to be halfway excited about this year because they are a fun team to watch!

As a Cubs fan, it's the ultimate weekend. I was glad we went before the renovations. Another thing that was fun was we were in a group and when I sat down, at the first game, I introduced myself to the guy next to me and he and his wife ended up being from Nebraska too.

• Fire 1

As a Cubs fan, it's the ultimate weekend. I was glad we went before the renovations. Another thing that was fun was we were in a group and when I sat down, at the first game, I introduced myself to the guy next to me and he and his wife ended up being from Nebraska too.

Oh wow. That is awesome. Every time I meet someone here in Chicago from Nebraska it's really cool. Every now and then I'll see someone with a Nebraska hat or shirt here too. That ultimate weekend sounds really neat.

After last night....yeah.....we have power at bat.

It's pretty cool to see that from the Cubs finally! Kris Bryant finally getting some HR's under his belt and Addison Russell with the 12 game hitting streak. Rizzo having a fine year too.

Happy birthday Yogi Berra who turns 90 today!

11248075_10152761180726695_2815794905972

Some famous "Yogism's"

"90% of the game is half mental."

"I'm going to have them start cutting my pizza in to 4 pieces because I can't eat 8".

"When you come to the fork in the road, take it."

"Oh that restaurant? Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."

"It's deja vu all over again."

"You can observe a lot by just watching." "If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else."

"Keith Richards? He must have played in Brooklyn."

"He's got his whole future ahead of him."

"I never said most of the things I said."

• Fire 2

I will donate money to the cause if any MLB team would take Edwin Jackson away from the Cubs.

You can add the majority of the their bullpen and Kyle Hendricks too. Theo and the Cubs need to shore up their pitching. Plain and simple.

3 home runs in his first 3 at bats today for Bryce Harper.

harperx-large.jpg

I was actually at that game. He smacked two of them directly over my head in RF

• Fire 1

This is a week the Cubs could continue making up some major ground against the Cards. The Cards are playing the Mets (23-16) and just got done with a marathon 14 inning game. Their bull pen had to have been used up. The Cubs are playing the Padres (19-20) coming off of a days rest everyone reasonably fresh.

I haven't heard an update on if Bryant is still under the weather so I have to assume he is ready to go.

They then go to KC for the weekend and we go to Arizona.

Could be a good week.

• Fire 1