Cornnation: Tommie Frazier left off Football Writers Of America Top QB's List

I've seen some people speculate that it's because Tommie wasn't a "pure QB" like Peyton Manning, but considering that Tim Tebow was on the list and he's every bit as far away from what anyone could consider a "pure QB" as Tommie is, I don't buy that theory.

Tim Tebow wasn't every bit as far away. His passing numbers were consistently top 5 in the country each year, about 30-40 points higher than Tommie in QBR.

Tim Tebow was closer to Jameis Winston than he was to Tommie Frazier.

He also had some amazingly talented WRs to throw to, though. I think that lent itself more to Tebow's stats than his ability as a QB did, or at least his "performance" in the NFL would lead me to believe that.

I've seen some people speculate that it's because Tommie wasn't a "pure QB" like Peyton Manning, but considering that Tim Tebow was on the list and he's every bit as far away from what anyone could consider a "pure QB" as Tommie is, I don't buy that theory.

Tim Tebow wasn't every bit as far away. His passing numbers were consistently top 5 in the country each year, about 30-40 points higher than Tommie in QBR.

The hell he was. Did you just look up some stats or did you actually ever watch Tebow play? Ha! We can try to spin things with statisitcs in almost any direction we want but let's get real. Tebow isn't even close to the thrower Jameis Winston is and that's coming from a big fan of Tebow. I like the guy. He's not the best passer but damn it was miraculous some of the stuff he was pulling off playing in Denver. I got a kick out of it.

Urban Meyer's system has made nearly every QB to ever play in it look spectacular. That's why Urban Meyer is who he is. That's why Tim Tebow and Alex Smith did'nt do a whole lot in the NFL. Its also why Urban Meyer can win with his first, second and third string quarterbacks. Not to take away too much from the players, these guys were good college QB's, but they weren't asked to make a lot of the NFL type of throws. A lot of simple routes, short throws and good use of some very talented TE's. These guys did what they were asked to do and they did it very well.

Tebow's numbers blow Tommie's out of the water because Tebow threw the damn ball 995 times and Tommie threw it 469 times in his career. Tebow's completion percentage was very good, as I said, he wasn't making NFL types of throws. Also, Nebraska was recruiting great run blockers at WR and TE. Florida was recruiting some of the better players in the country at these positions and they weren't going there to run block.

Anyway Hammerhead, plus 1, you're right. I heard that theory thrown around a bit today on the radio, but Tebow being on the list proves that wasn't the reasoning.

• Fire 3

The leap from college to pro is pretty huge, even for pro-style quarterbacks.

Tebow didn't get exposed until he faced NFL defensive backs licking their chops.

Yeah, I remember Tommie being at or near the top of a very similar list a few years back, probably the same one mentioned in post #12. Which I now notice is from 2006, nine years ago and 11 years removed from Frazier's senior year. I'm afraid newer quarterbacks are going to keep bumping vintage quarterbacks -- AJ McCarron is merely a nod to the recent Alabama dynasty -- and people who didn't see guys like Frazier in action are going to be influenced by college stats and pro careers. They're going to see Tommie Frazier's 49% completion rating and figure he wasn't a true quarterback. But if you ever saw a guy put a whole team on his back.....

• Fire 1

The leap from college to pro is pretty huge, even for pro-style quarterbacks.

Tebow didn't get exposed until he faced NFL defensive backs licking their chops.

Yeah, I remember Tommie being at or near the top of a very similar list a few years back, probably the same one mentioned in post #12. Which I now notice is from 2006, nine years ago and 11 years removed from Frazier's senior year. I'm afraid newer quarterbacks are going to keep bumping vintage quarterbacks -- AJ McCarron is merely a nod to the recent Alabama dynasty -- and people who didn't see guys like Frazier in action are going to be influenced by college stats and pro careers. They're going to see Tommie Frazier's 49% completion rating and figure he wasn't a true quarterback. But if you ever saw a guy put a whole team on his back.....

Good points. Just like looking at the Huskers as one of, if not the most dominant team (1995), in college history. The further from 1995 we get, the farther down the list they will go.

The hell he was. Did you just look up some stats or did you actually ever watch Tebow play? Ha! We can try to spin things with statisitcs in almost any direction we want but let's get real. Tebow isn't even close to the thrower Jameis Winston is and that's coming from a big fan of Tebow. I like the guy. He's not the best passer but damn it was miraculous some of the stuff he was pulling off playing in Denver. I got a kick out of it.

Urban Meyer's system has made nearly every QB to ever play in it look spectacular. That's why Urban Meyer is who he is. That's why Tim Tebow and Alex Smith did'nt do a whole lot in the NFL. Its also why Urban Meyer can win with his first, second and third string quarterbacks. Not to take away too much from the players, these guys were good college QB's, but they weren't asked to make a lot of the NFL type of throws. A lot of simple routes, short throws and good use of some very talented TE's. These guys did what they were asked to do and they did it very well.

Tebow's numbers blow Tommie's out of the water because Tebow threw the damn ball 995 times and Tommie threw it 469 times in his career. Tebow's completion percentage was very good, as I said, he wasn't making NFL types of throws. Also, Nebraska was recruiting great run blockers at WR and TE. Florida was recruiting some of the better players in the country at these positions and they weren't going there to run block.

Anyway Hammerhead, plus 1, you're right. I heard that theory thrown around a bit today on the radio, but Tebow being on the list proves that wasn't the reasoning.

All I meant by it was that Tebow was a great college passing quarterback. Because he was. By numbers and ability at the college level without any thought as to how it partains to the NFL, he was closer to Winston than Frazier as far as passing. That isn't to say that he was as good, but if Tommie was a 0 and Winston was a 100, I think Tebow would be over 50.

Neither was Tommie. Tebow accounted for 51 touchdowns and was the first sophomore in history to win the heisman the year he won it. He undoubtedly deserves to be on that list. If anyone doesn't it's maybe a Joe Hamilton or Kellen Moore. Both great college QB's but neither was the QB Frazier was. He (Frazier) could single-handedly put a team on his back and was 10 times the playmaker both of those guys were.

I think Tommy's personality hurt him, and still does. Not prince charming, not well liked by his own team. Great player for Nebraska, but he was surrounded by great players that listened to him and watched what he did. A leader by action, not all of popular. Those tones are heard by all. Sad to see him not get listed, but he has his name on a lot of them. He will be okay.

• Fire 1