Texas Cop, "Police Brutality", Black kids.

You should also pay attention to where you're getting your information from. The number of blacks being killed by police is NOT more than other races like your graph above shows. One of my graphs is from the FBI. The other graph is simply showing the number of people injured or murdered in mass killings. I'm on my phone now and posting graphs isn't as easy so I'm not going to try. Your talk about police killings going down then directly argues against what the media is trying to push then.

You should also pay attention to where you're getting your information from. The number of blacks being killed by police is NOT more than other races like your graph above shows. One of my graphs is from the FBI. The other graph is simply showing the number of people injured or murdered in mass killings.

There's nothing wrong with the information. It's... per... capita.

Let's say you have 5 Blacks and 10 Whites.

3 Blacks eat potato chips and 3 Whites eat potato chips.

The proportion of Blacks who ate potato chips is 0.6 The proportion of Whites who ate potato chips is 0.3. Therefore if we made a fancy graph out of this, the rate of Blacks who eat potato chips would be higher than the rate of Whites who ate potato chips.

Your talk about police killings going down then directly argues against what the media is trying to push then.

Indeed.

For the record I wasn't posting that graph to make a point about the rate of Blacks killed being higher. As you can see the rates are actually converging so it's improving. I was basically showing that the media covering things more doesn't mean they're happening more often. The same goes with the mass shootings.

I was really hoping this would be civil liberties discussion, about Americans, not about race. That's a real issue that needs to be talked about, but race tends to jump in a lot.

Regarding the "more blacks are killed by police than whites" stuff, that's a "yes this, but that, and also that, and kinda this, and some of this" argument. There are a LOT of factors that have to be looked at. This article brings up a bunch of them:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/apr/21/police-kill-more-whites-than-blacks-but-minority-d/?page=all

Race makes this an entirely different conversation.

• Fire 2

I get it, you don't need to explain it. I'm saying that the source you get the info from could very well be wrong if you're not careful. Despite what you think, I'm not a moron. I'll try and find the info later that says white males were killed more than black males in officer involved shootings. It recently came out, but not many know about it because it doesn't fit the agendas out there.

I get it, you don't need to explain it. I'm saying that the source you get the info from could very well be wrong if you're not careful. Despite what you think, I'm not a moron. I'll try and find the info later that says white males were killed more than black males in officer involved shootings. It recently came out, but not many know about it because it doesn't fit the agendas out there.

This shows you don't get it though. More whites are killed than blacks by police, I agree. Unless you're saying you saw that the rate of whites being killed is more than the rate of blacks. Then the graph could be wrong. It doesn't differentiate between gender though.

Damn, this wasn't even the point of me posting that graph. It was just to show deaths by police has gone down for everyone, heh.

I got the races flipped than, remember, I'm on a tiny phone right now. This thread shows what law enforcement is up against though unfortunately. Several people jumping on a cop that's simply trying to give you my point of view, but you refuse to take it. It's a tiny example of society's thoughts towards us today. Interesting....

I got the races flipped than, remember, I'm on a tiny phone right now. This thread shows what law enforcement is up against though unfortunately. Several people jumping on a cop that's simply trying to give you my point of view, but you refuse to take it. It's a tiny example of society's thoughts towards us today. Interesting....

Gotcha.

You're so defensive. I mean I get it if you're dealing with a$$hole$ every day. But you're constantly accusing everyone in these threads of hating all cops and none of us do. I basically just showed you a graph that makes a good point for you, that the media just covers it more now. That doesn't, however, mean we should stop caring when these things happen.

• Fire 2

Not to go against the nationwide thoughts towards us, but I'm off the play in a softball game to help raise funds for juvenile diabetes research with a bunch of other cops and fireman. I'll try to find some rights to violate along the way. (Waves) and I'm out of the conversation, getting too involved at this point and I've had enough. Good luck with the discussion. I've got no issues with you Moiraine. :thumbs

• Fire 1

I do think the vast majority of policemen take their duties very seriously and deserve admiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpSEemvwOn4?t=2m12s

I read some "analyses" on this video earlier and I have to say, this is not what I expected. That was brutal to watch. "I will LIGHT YOU UP!"

knapp says this is about civil liberties, and I agree. This Rolling Stone article makes some good points. I don't think Officer Encina is a horrible (or racist) human being. He just seemed to be having one hell of a bad day. But because of that, ...

harass[ing] people, using misdemeanors and violations as battering ram ... against which there's little defense

...is exactly what he ended up doing. It is unconscionable for a policeman to behave this way, I hope most would agree, and I truly hope that the citizens of Texas will have the right to not have this guy patrolling their highways and flexing his muscles any longer.

I'll try and find the info later that says white males were killed more than black males in officer involved shootings.

If you have 250 million white people, and 41 black people, and they're anywhere close that is beyond f'd up.

Unrelated, the only people that seem to ever long for "the good ole days" when America was a shining beacon of safe morality are white hetero males. Life was worse for women, for minorities, especially for blacks, for gays, and pretty much anyone else 30-40 years ago, and even worse before that.

Thanks LoMS, you're a shining beacon. I'd say go back even further to 40-50 years ago. I'd be even younger Yeehaww. yup white hetero and YOUNGER BABY But looking back must be a bad thing, right? I mean, the civil rights movement, space program, etc. all bad. Just sayin', cause everyone knows nuthin' good ever came of the good ol days.

GBR

• Fire 1

Thanks LoMS, you're a shining beacon. I'd say go back even further to 40-50 years ago. I'd be even younger Yeehaww. yup white hetero and YOUNGER BABY But looking back must be a bad thing, right? I mean, the civil rights movement, space program, etc. all bad. Just sayin', cause everyone knows nuthin' good ever came of the good ol days.

GBR

All those things came about because of a recognition of, "Where we're at is not good. We need to move forward and progress." Not lamenting an age before that that was better.