Texas Cop, "Police Brutality", Black kids.

Easy to say until your the one in the middle of the situation and in some cases no matter what you say to that individual they won't listen to you and they want to continue to argue and be uncooperative. We aren't in the customer service business, we WILL NOT satisfy the citizens we serve to 100% satisfaction by the very nature of our job. The "customer" isn't always right in our world, whether they want to agree with that or not. Your attitude, whether you like it or not, may directly play into whether you are going to get a citation or not. The officer doesn't HAVE to give you a warning, they can give you a citation instead if you want to be an ass. Or you can be honest, cordial, and go through the motions and you may only get a warning. Your driving record and the violations obviously play into that as well. There's been several situations where I could've arrested someone or did and I could pile the charges on and didn't because they were either honest or decent and treated me like a human being and went with the process and didn't turn into a total a$$. This could be considered the customer service portion of the job if you wanted to see it that way.

Let me explain further on the highlighted section. I'll speak with the county attorney and let them know what's going on and how the process is going. Ultimately I let them make the decision on what they feel the most comfortable with for when it goes to court. This not only speeds the process up, it helps out the defendant on some level and helps the court look into the situation a little more.

This is scary stuff.

Think what you want, people being cooperative helps them when they get to court in the judges eye. And I also have my cases so locked up that to this date I've never lost a case in 13 years of law enforcement. That's because I'm careful and give people the benefit of the doubt if I can. So I make a point to make the judge aware of that while doing my job at the same time. You know, the job the citizens pay me to do because they don't want to do it. It's not a desk job unfortunately and stopping a car not knowing what's going on inside has it's risk, but I doubt you would know anything about that.

Charging someone with assault causing bodily injury instead of willful injury is the difference between a misdemeanor and a felony. The court gives ME the decision to decide on the charge unless the county attorney wants to amend that charge. That's the court system, that's the way it is unfortunately. I also speak with the victim and explains to them as well so they understand things and the options.

I figure if you people are going to treat us like a monster I might as well feed into your stereotype. *rolls eyes*

It would be better if the posts I make weren't edited. Edit what you write all you want, but don't change my posts, please. That changes the nature of the conversation and isn't fair.

Think that all you want, but your post wasn't edited, I added my parts to the original post and then copy and pasted those additions to the additional "quotes" So saying I edited them is simply a lie on your part, so you're wrong.

*Edit* Thought you meant "your words" were edited, they weren't, I did add the parts into the post for consistency purposes.

It would be better if the posts I make weren't edited. Edit what you write all you want, but don't change my posts, please. That changes the nature of the conversation and isn't fair.

Think that all you want, but your post wasn't edited, I added my parts to the original post and then copy and pasted those additions to the additional "quotes" So saying I edited them is simply a lie on your part, so you're wrong.

You added, to my post, words that weren't there when I responded to them. Adding those words changes the nature of the post.

If you want to edit your own posts, fine. But don't edit mine.

All I'm trying to do is be honest folks and give you my point of view because thankfully you don't see it. I'm glad you don't have to see it. I'm glad that you don't have to explain to your six year olds why someone hates you because of the profession you chose when they think it's the greatest thing in the world that you're a cop. You can't explain that to them in a way that they can understand. I'm glad that you don't have to stop a car with a minority in it and have them treat you like trash because of a news story that makes all police seem like racist bad guys when you know in your heart you aren't. I'm glad you don't have to have a cell phone shoved in your face to record your interaction with someone because they're looking for their 15 seconds of fame and want to make you into a youtube star.

There are bad cops out there, simple as that, but they are DEFINITELY in the minority, the majority of us serve our citizens with integrity, top class service, and excellence to make you proud of the job we do and to create a partnership with you that creates not only a strong police department, but a strong community as well. That strong bond leads to a good environment for our children to grow up in and helps you trust us to do the job for you. I've seen some really messed up stuff in the 13 years I've been doing this and I'm sure the next 13 are going to be just as interesting.

• Fire 1

We're ignoring the MASSIVE disproportion in consequences to the two parties, and that's where the conversation breaks down.

I guess I don't follow you here. As the situation played out, the consequences were she was arrested. No one is arguing about those consequences, only who's responsible. It's possible that it could be found that the officer was well out of line and could be fired or possibly charged with some crime of his own. We'll have to see what the outcome is but being arrested vs. being fired isn't a massive disproportion imo.

As citizens we should never be OK with a law officer escalating what amounts to a bad attitude to the level that someone's civil liberties are taken away. I can't fathom how anyone can be OK with her arrest for being rude.

Being rude is not what got her arrested.

Yes it is. If she's not rude to that officer, she gets a ticket and goes on with her life. Her rudeness was the base on which that entire situation was built.

The bolded is true. But that's not why she was arrested.

But it led directly to her arrest.

Law enforcement is akin to customer service. The customer/citizen can come in with any attitude they want and sh#t all over you, but at no point are you to return that(assuming a typical traffic stop/no weapons/felons). Exception being if they threaten you in some way. You are payed to remain calm and resolve the issue in a professional manor, not give lip back to them. That doesn't mean you can't inform them that you don't appreciate their attitude, but you don't do it with snarky comments that escalate the situation.

As much as I hate The Nighly Show, Larry Williams has a pretty good break down of the confrontation and it's escalation. It's worth the couple minutes to watch it.

This is a bad analogy. This is really nothing like customer service. If you take that attitude with someone in customer service, they are very unlikely to respond as the company would want to keep the customer even if their attitude is terrible and the customer service person would be risking their own firing if they respond harshly.

It isn't the same with a person in some sort of authority position. If they are in a position to enforce some sort of consequences upon you, you need to take that into consideration when you're dealing with them. If you choose to ignore that, you run the risk of receiving those consequences. You can yell at a customer service person or someone who works for you because they aren't in a position to enforce any consequences. If you yell at your boss, you run the risk of being fired. It doesn't mean they have to fire you, but they could.

If you yell at your boss, you run the risk of being fired. It doesn't mean they have to fire you, but they could.

Not saying the customer service analogy is good, but this is an even worse analogy.

You can get a good look at a T-bone by sitcking your head up a butchers ass, but I would rather take the bulls word... Wait.. It has to be your bull.

• Fire 1

Had he simply written the ticket and left, she would not have been arrested. The person with the control in that situation was the officer, period.

Her attitude, her belligerence, has zero bearing on that. The fault lies with the officer because he was in control of the situation at all times.

Yep, not sure what's so difficult to grasp about this concept.

This thread makes me sad.

This entire country and what it's coming to is making me sad! It's a shell of its former great self unfortunately.............

I get so tired of this "back in my day" cane waving "let's make America great again" crap.

Good for you, you pretty much disagree with everything I say anyways so this is nothing new.

Had he simply written the ticket and left, she would not have been arrested. The person with the control in that situation was the officer, period.

Her attitude, her belligerence, has zero bearing on that. The fault lies with the officer because he was in control of the situation at all times.

Yep, not sure what's so difficult to grasp about this concept.

These are opinions, not sure what's so difficult to grasp about that concept. The problem is a few of you REFUSE to try and look at it from the officer's position. I'm not saying what he did was right, I'm not saying what he did was wrong. As I've said, I'm sure at this point he wishes he would've done something different. My OPINION is her attitude could've been a lot better, she helped walk herself into that situation and AT LEAST is partially to blame for what occurred. She's 100% responsible for her own death though, which is an unfortunate decision she made in the jail cell.