Texas Cop, "Police Brutality", Black kids.

I got a DUI about 12yrs ago and I can tell you one thing. I was polite to the officer and it helped me out a lot when it came to sentencing.

I was in a golf tourney and a buddy called me and said he was flying into Lincoln that night and wanted to meet up. I had stopped drinking so I could drive. On my way to Lincoln, I got pulled over outside of Milford for going 45 in a 30 zone right outside of town. The Officer came to the truck and told me why he had pulled me over. As he was standing there, he noticed some empty beer cans in the back of my pickup and had asked if I had been drinking. I told him I haven't for sometime but did earlier today. he asked me to go through the tests and I did. At that time, his boss showed up and watched. At the end of testing, he asked if I could take a breathilizer and I complied. I blew a 0.089 which is over the limit. He went and talked to his captain and he decided to book me. The Officer told me that he had to arrest me for DUI and that he was sorry. I told him it's not his fault, I was the one driving over the limit. All the way up to Seward, he apologized and stated that if his boss wasn't there, he would have let me go. I told him again that he has nothing to apologize for and that I had broke the law and he was just doing his job.

At court, the Officer had talked to the Judge and told him how cooperative and courteous I was through the whole thing and he felt I didn't deserve the harsh punishment. I ended up with 1yr probation, $500 fine and had to sit through an impact panel. Never lost my license. I think it had to do with the Officer.

• Fire 1

.03 isn't completely sober though. Your eyes will give more clues than you think. Your admission of just leaving a bar, coupled with a few possible signs your eyes may have been giving away basically forced him to run you through sobriety tests. Once we run those tests we can tell pretty quickly whether someone is intoxicated or drugged. If you are close or below, based on what we see, we may not even offer a PBT on the side of the road. Just varies from PD to PD.

Obviously I can't tell what my eyes are like, but in response to any ~suspicion~ or "oh you don't know that", I recall the entire sequence of events quite specifically, and while I wouldn't bet my life on it, I'm confident enough saying that if I wouldn't have mentioned being at the bar and having drinks, I didn't give him enough to reasonably come to the conclusion that I might be impaired; I was articulate, apologetic, upfront, explaining my Nebraska license, etc. I was also tired and had to be up early, and the cop was a pretty young dude and seemed like he might be fairly new to the job, hence the temptation to decline his tests (that and I obviously hate all policemen).

But like I said, I thought better of it and it ended up working out in my favor not being cited for going 19 over.

Are you being serious right now? I hope you're being sarcastic............

• Fire 1

Are you being serious right now? I hope you're being sarcastic............

Yes, very obviously sarcasm. :)

nice english
Sweet punctuation and capitilization, bro.

Touché.

I dont speak french, anyone know what he just said?

In regards to the whole cop thing. If you are respectful and do what a cop says, it can help you a ton... however, there are some power hungry D-bag cops(like every profession has) and so sometimes it is luck of the draw.

My dad is a cop. I grew up in his department, and there are some people who just shouldnt be cops for a variety of reasons. 90% of the cops he works with are awesome people who are in the profession to make a difference... Remember they put their life on the line everyday, and being disrespectful wont help you. Sounds to me like LOMS and stumpy1 were both respectful and owned up to what they had done. Obviously it is frustrating to have to do a sobriety test when you were barely drinking, but it is an officers judgement call at that point.

LOMS, being a young guy, we get roped in to that. Admitting you just left the bar is going to give you a pretty great chance of getting tested. Fair or not, he has probable cause.

I greatly appreciate 90% of what police do. They have a very difficult job where their life can be on the line to protect others. When they do something wrong, it is very public and they don't get recognized enough for the good they do.

They are no different than any other profession. Many good cops patrol our roads and streets every day. The problem is, when there is a bad cop, things can go REALLY wrong and drastically affect people's lives. We have seen many instances of this in the news lately.

As far as personal experiences, I have very few bad ones. I do have a real problem with police just pulling people over simply because he suspects something. I'm not saying because the suspect DID something. I'm talking about just because the cop thinks he has someone nailed so he nit picks and finds some little thing to pull them over. I have been pulled over simply because I was seen leaving a bar. My lawyer finally was able to get the dash board cam and I would drive down that street exactly the same way right now. the prosecutor couldn't even find a reason to pull me over.

To me, that is total BS and no different than racial profiling. A police officer's job is not to go out and see how many arrests or tickets he can write.

PS.....not because of my situation. But, because of similar type things (even worse) he was quickly ushered out of town. I feel sorry for the community he is in now.

• 1 month later...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/death-sandra-bland-what-we-know-so-far-n396036

Last week, Sandra Bland was found dead from apparent "self-inflicted asphyxiation" in her cell in a Texas jail, three days after her arrest following a routine traffic stop.
Her puzzling death — she had just gotten a new job that she was excited about, her family said — has become the latest flashpoint in a national discussion about law enforcement in America. State and federal authorities are investigating, while Bland's family and supporters say they don't believe she killed herself and don't trust the official version of events.
Here's a look at what's known about the case so far.

Is anyone paying much attention to this story? Seems really bizarre/fishy, whichever word you prefer. How did she hang herself? Supposedly with a trash bag, from a partition that was shorter than she is.

You've never worked in a jail, I have, I've seen people hang themselves with sheets and other items from a object shorter than them. It's as simple as cutting off the blood through the arteries in your neck, you pass out, and now your body weight does the rest. This story is a bullsh#t attempt to find another reason to hate on cops. Another family looking for money and refusing to take things for what they are.

• Fire 3

Doesn't really seem too far of a stretch to believe she took her own life. Admitted depression (her family says she wasn't diagnosed, but there's a video of her saying she was going through a bit of deprssion at one point), scars from cutting, not being able to make bail... Tragic, because she likely never need to be in that jail, but far from a conspiracy.

You've never worked in a jail, I have, I've seen people hang themselves with sheets and other items from a object shorter than them. It's as simple as cutting off the blood through the arteries in your neck, you pass out, and now your body weight does the rest. This story is a bullsh#t attempt to find another reason to hate on cops. Another family looking for money and refusing to take things for what they are.

The cop behaved terribly regardless of what happened afterwards. That's not bullsh#t.

It shouldn't just be death that makes us question things.