Best State Food Recipes

OK...something that is driving me crazy. Growing up, I was served Runzas at school, at home....lots of other places. Being an area that is heavy in German descendants, it was a common thing. I have an old recipe book that has Runzas in it.

BUT....now.....anything that isn't served from "Runza" has to be called something else. We had a local cafe serve them once as a special and the local "Runza" called and said they had to change what they were calling them.

Now, I love Runza restaurants and eat there a lot. But this is total BS. They didn't invent this food item.

OK...something that is driving me crazy. Growing up, I was served Runzas at school, at home....lots of other places. Being an area that is heavy in German descendants, it was a common thing. I have an old recipe book that has Runzas in it.

BUT....now.....anything that isn't served from "Runza" has to be called something else. We had a local cafe serve them once as a special and the local "Runza" called and said they had to change what they were calling them.

Now, I love Runza restaurants and eat there a lot. But this is total BS. They didn't invent this food item.

No, but they copy-righted it

So, if McDonalds wants to, they can copy-right hamburger?

Still BS.

Your local cafe should have told them to go pound sand. Surprisingly, Runza restaurant does have a trademark on a the word "runza". But I'll bet dollars to donuts the Examiner who issued that trademark didn't know about the previous use of the word runza that you mentioned. If he had, there's no way such a broad trademark should have been issued.

Your local cafe should have told them to go pound sand. Surprisingly, Runza restaurant does have a trademark on a the word "runza". But I'll bet dollars to donuts the Examiner who issued that trademark didn't know about the previous use of the word runza that you mentioned. If he had, there's no way such a broad trademark should have been issued.

Agree...that's my point.

The local cafe is a small place and the owner doesn't have much money. He had no way to fight anything if it came to that.

A copyright is for content like music, literature, art, etc. I think you mean to say that Runza has a trademark on the word runza. But like I said in the post above, if anyone ever challenged the broad mark for the word "runza" there's a good chance it would be invalidated. Runza restaurant probably knows that. They have narrower marks on stylized versions of the word "runza".

That's probably way more than you wanted to know. :lol:

• Fire 1

They call them krautburgers around here. Most people in Colorado don't even know what a Runza is. I guess I don't know if they were called Runzas before the company Runza tagged them with that name or not. I'm guessing the company Runza existed before people commonly called them Runzas, and if that's the situation, they should be able to limit the use of their name.

But whoever did that state list thingy doesn't know jack. Hand held meat pies? Who in the hell calls them that? And their description was not really accurate either. I lived in Nebraska for 23 years and I wasn't even sure what they were talking about, a hand held meat pie filled with lots of chopped vegetables? Did they change how they make them or are they still mostly hamburger with some cabbage and onion?