Riley Shelf Life

I'm not really a hypothetical person......but facts are easily findable. Riley's resume is absolutely questionable at best for a job like Nebraska.

Facts are easily obtained, but questions of Riley's fit as HC at Nebraska are hypothetical no matter how you slice it.

And while previous W/L records are simple and straight-forward, they don't appear to be a good predictor. Hoke had a good record before going to Michigan. RichRod looked good before going to Ann Arbor. And looked bad before getting to Tucson but is doing very well for the Wildcats. Pete Carroll wasn't good for the Patriots but has been exceptional at USC and Seattle. I thought Saban would have done a lot better in the NFL.

There are also lots of W/L records that translated into success as well. Urban at Florida and again at tOSU is probably the best example.

My point is that Riley's W/L record at Oregon St. doesn't mean much to how he'll perform at NU. You can keep presenting it as a fact, but it's not convincing evidence in the discussion of how Riley will perform at NU.

Wins take care of themselves if you're taking care of the details. Bo alway's preached about the little things, and I think it became very evident that behind the scenes, there were a lot of little things that were not being taken care of.

So, speaking of taking care of details and winning, Riley's record the past 5 seasons was 29-33.
I wonder what Bo Pelini's record would be if he was coaching at Oregon St. the last five seasons, instead of at Nebraska.

Stanford

USC

Oregon

Washington

UCLA

Arizona St.

There's six probable losses a year for Bo Pelini.

Then throw in your unreasonable loss to a team that shouldn't be able to compete with you, like WSU, Cal, Utah or Arizona. In all reality, Bo probably loses 2 of those games because Cal, WSU, Utah, and Arizona are a lot more comparable to Oregon St. than Northwestern, Iowa, or Minnesota is to Nebraska.

Imagine the whining about all the DISADVANTAGES he has to face at Oregon St. Holy crap, and this is a guy who thought he had it rough here.

Sorry TheSker, it probably seems unreasonable to assume how Bo Pelini would do at a school he's never even coached a game at, huh?

I like your post, but . . .

Sac St ! You forgot Sac St !

And shouldn't it be Mr. MR??

Wins take care of themselves if you're taking care of the details. Bo alway's preached about the little things, and I think it became very evident that behind the scenes, there were a lot of little things that were not being taken care of.

So, speaking of taking care of details and winning, Riley's record the past 5 seasons was 29-33.
I wonder what Bo Pelini's record would be if he was coaching at Oregon St. the last five seasons, instead of at Nebraska.

Stanford

USC

Oregon

Washington

UCLA

Arizona St.

Then throw in your unreasonable loss to a team that shouldn't be able to compete with you, like WSU, Cal, Utah or Arizona. In all reality, Bo probably loses 2 of those games because Cal, WSU, Utah, and Arizona are a lot more comparable to Oregon St. than Northwestern, Iowa, or Minnesota is to Nebraska.

Imagine the whining about all the DISADVANTAGES he has to face at Oregon St. Holy crap, and this is a guy who thought he had it rough here.

Sorry TheSker, it probably seems unreasonable to assume how Bo Pelini would do at a school he's never even coached a game at, huh?

I'm not really a hypothetical person......but facts are easily findable. Riley's resume is absolutely questionable at best for a job like Nebraska.

It's better than hiring someone with no track record.

I agree hiring an experienced head coach was the thing to do. I just think an experienced coach who has that many losing seasons, including a 9 loss season on his resume is not someone who should make it through the process to be head coach at Nebraska.

• Fire 1

Stanford

USC

Oregon

Washington

UCLA

Arizona St.

I like your post, but . . .

Sac St ! You forgot Sac St !

And shouldn't it be Mr. MR??

Forgot Eastern Washington as well- Or Eastern Washington State Tech- whatever they call themselves that OSU also lost to

Stanford

USC

Oregon

Washington

UCLA

Arizona St.

I agree hiring an experienced head coach was the thing to do. I just think an experienced coach who has that many losing seasons, including a 9 loss season on his resume is not someone who should make it through the process to be head coach at Nebraska.

Boy, you must've been distraught when Bo Pelini was hired, huh? I mean, considering his resume' as a Head Coach was non-existent.

• Fire 1

Can we ban broken records? At least until midway through the season? This same sh#t is said over and over by this poster. It's just spam now.
As long as we treat posts with unrelenting optimism the same way.

No more posts about Bo not getting recruiting, Mike Riley not having resources at Oregon State, etc.

Stanford

USC

Oregon

Washington

UCLA

Arizona St.

Boy, you must've been distraught when Bo Pelini was hired, huh? I mean, considering his resume' as a Head Coach was non-existent.

Coordinators have track records

Facts are easily obtained, but questions of Riley's fit as HC at Nebraska are hypothetical no matter how you slice it.

And while previous W/L records are simple and straight-forward, they don't appear to be a good predictor. Hoke had a good record before going to Michigan. RichRod looked good before going to Ann Arbor. And looked bad before getting to Tucson but is doing very well for the Wildcats. Pete Carroll wasn't good for the Patriots but has been exceptional at USC and Seattle. I thought Saban would have done a lot better in the NFL.

There are also lots of W/L records that translated into success as well. Urban at Florida and again at tOSU is probably the best example.

My point is that Riley's W/L record at Oregon St. doesn't mean much to how he'll perform at NU. You can keep presenting it as a fact, but it's not convincing evidence in the discussion of how Riley will perform at NU.

The NFL is a totally different animal= if you want to add the NFL then you have to look at Rileys failure at SD then as well

College football is a much different equation

Rich Rod was sabotaged at Michigan- he would have been successful there had they left him alone

Great book there about it, 3 and out. Friends at Michigan verified, very accurate

Lots of great coaches won at every college stop

Bear Bryant

Urban Meyer

Nick Saban

Lou Holtz

Riley- jury is out

Rich Rod is a College great coach and will have a great career

Past results DO matter

Consistent Results either verify what you are doing makes sense, or they dont

The best are going to win at every stop, no excuses

This is what I was getting at as well.

TheSker, you claim not to be a hypothetical person when I pointed out how I think Bo would've choked even worse than he did here if he was put into a situation like Oregon St.

But when we talk about Mike Riley's time at Oregon St., you want to get hypothetical about how he will do here.

Resume' or not, there is no evidence as to how good a coach Mike Riley is at Nebraska. Aside from a pretty fun spring game and some nice recruting recently. I like his staff he's hired, and I like the things these guys have said. Aside from that we have nothing to judge about his time at Nebraska. Until these guys take the field against BYU, we know nothing.

Bear Bryant

Urban Meyer

Nick Saban

Lou Holtz

Whoa. You just listed some of the Greatest Coaches of all time. This is hardly the "norm". These guys are legends or will be legends by the time their career is over.

I don't think anybody has even remotely said Mike Riley is Bear Bryant, Urban Meyer, Nick Saban or the other dummy you listed.

Riley- jury is out

Well....kinda. The jury is out on his time here at Nebraska. The jury isn't out on his previous career though. Don't forget, he did have some very successful years at Oregon St. too. He also won quite a number of games that realistically, they shouldn't have won. He overcame quite a bit there. He was hired as a HC in the NFL, and in the CFL. His reputation amongst coaches is impecable. For all the talk you do about the in's and out's of this game, you'd think you would show a bit more respect for the guy. There's a lot of people a hell of a lot smarter than you or I who thinks Mike Riley is an excellent person, coach, evaluator and developer.

Past results DO matter

Past results do not matter now. In no way will Riley's record at Oregon St. affect the record at Nebraska. If you wanted to apply his record there to his record here, then don't forget to include those good seasons and the upsets over some highly ranked teams too. You guys aren't just gonna sit here and apply all the bad and none of the good. That's being unfair and ignorant. Like I said though, none of it really applies at all.

• Fire 1

TheSker, you claim not to be a hypothetical person when I pointed out how I think Bo would've choked even worse than he did here if he was put into a situation like Oregon St.

But when we talk about Mike Riley's time at Oregon St., you want to get hypothetical about how he will do here.

Resume' or not, there is no evidence as to how good a coach Mike Riley is at Nebraska. Aside from a pretty fun spring game and some nice recruting recently. I like his staff he's hired, and I like the things these guys have said. Aside from that we have nothing to judge about his time at Nebraska. Until these guys take the field against BYU, we know nothing.

I understand you prefer to push a discussion toward Pelini, but Pelini has nothing to do with Riley's resume. The coach who would be the best example of being "put into a situation like Oregon St." would be Dennis Erickson......and I'd recommend avoiding that discussion.

I understand you prefer to push a discussion toward Pelini, but Pelini has nothing to do with Riley's resume. The coach who would be the best example of being "put into a situation like Oregon St." would be Dennis Erickson......and I'd recommend avoiding that discussion.
I don't care about Dennis Erickson. He doesn't coach for the Huskers.

I've seen what Pelini could do here.

I'm ready to see what Mike Riley and his staff can do. They are coaching the Huskers now. That's not gonna change anytime soon.

The only reason I bring Pelini into this discussion is because you seem to still be holding onto him and secondly, I truly would enjoy seeing Bo melt down on an Oregon St. sideline as he's getting his ass handed to him by six very good/above average teams within that conference on a yearly basis.

Stanford

USC

Oregon

Washington

UCLA

Arizona St.

Coordinators have track records

What's Banker's time in the 400?

• Fire 1

It seems a lot of people on here are quick to choose a side. I think most people are optimistic and already have jumped on his bandwagon, but there are a few who seem to think it was a bad hire and don't think MR will succeed.

Where do you stand? How many seasons does he get?

I am cautious. I am still in a wait and see approach.

I definitely like the culture he is building as well as his staff.

Ultimately though, he better compete for a conference title within 2 years. Just my humble opinion.

What say you?

First of all, you quit bashing the new coach...give him some time.

My question would be, if he has great success yet due to his age, how long would he stick around to try and keep winning? Similarly, if he can't move is forward w/in the first 2-3 yrs would he decide to hang it up, citing age/family/fatigue?

I think this is all great stuff to think about. I guess this is my biggest hesitation with Riley, he hasn't really won anything yet and he is in the upper age bracket for coaches. Maybe everything will finally all come together for him here. I guess it's wait and see. Wait and see.

The NFL is a totally different animal= if you want to add the NFL then you have to look at Rileys failure at SD then as well

College football is a much different equation

Rich Rod was sabotaged at Michigan- he would have been successful there had they left him alone

Great book there about it, 3 and out. Friends at Michigan verified, very accurate

Bear Bryant

Urban Meyer

Nick Saban

Lou Holtz

Riley- jury is out

Rich Rod is a College great coach and will have a great career

Past results DO matter

Consistent Results either verify what you are doing makes sense, or they dont

I bolded the obvious contradiction in your post. So does only the W/L matter, or are excuses/context applicable?

A better comparison (arguably) to Riley at NU than Erickson is Bill Snyder returning to KSU... and you should avoid that discussion.

I remain convinced that past performance is not a strong indicator of future results. And a corollary is that every situation is different.

• Fire 1