Riley Shelf Life

He'll have at least four years esp. since the red-headed AD hired him. Things would have to get super ugly (like 4 wins or less) in order for the AD to fire 'his guy'.

I still think if Pedey hadn't been fired first Callahan wouldn't have been fired.

I really like Reily, he's a guy I really can root for and that's really important to me. Just having a coach I'm proud of and want to see be successful not just for our team but for him as well is a huge improvement.

My expectations are pretty vanilla. For me he only has to do about as well as Bo did win/loss wise with about the same conference championship appearances. The only step up I'd like to see is going without the blowout losses or without those games where you could tell the wheels were coming off and you KNEW we were going to lose even when we were still way ahead (a la UCLA).

I'm a pretty worrisome, glass half empty kind of fan, this year is no different. However I take solace in what Phil Steele has to say. In Callys first year he was the only person I know of that had us potentially not making a bowl game. He even went as far as to say he could see it coming down to the Colorado game with a bowl bid on the line and that's exactly what happened. So when he sees us competing for a division championship I feel a lot better about things.

• Fire 1

This would not have been considered a rebuilding year for Bo Pelini.

So I would love to see Riley come in and have an immediate impact with the same personnel -- which of course includes making better personnel decisions and reconfiguring Bo's depth chart.

I don't think Riley is going to overhaul the offense, either. He will start Tommy Armstrong and groom his replacement. He's going to like what a running quarterback brings to the table and see if he can get him to make smarter decisions with better passing mechanics. Pretty much what any HC we hired would do. As many here complained about, Beck and Watson ran a big playbook. We were adept at, if not masterful, running a variety of offensive sets. Mike Riley doesn't need to institute a major shift in scheme or philosophy -- he just gets to edit it down. If anything, it should get easier.

The strengths and weaknesses among defensive personnel are scattered in much the way they've been the past 5 seasons, and if the problem was stubborn adherence to flawed schemes, that's something immediately addressable. Again, more of a relief than a challenge.

It's a different season and possibly a tougher schedule, so I don't have a magic number of wins in order to declare my satisfaction. I do think Nebraska fans are smart enough to recognize good football when they see it. That's what I'm rooting for.

I also think Mike Riley took the job understanding the pressure and expectation at Nebraska. Seems that's exactly why he took the job. So I'm not going to declare this season a learning experience with reduced expectations. I want to see better coaching immediately. Why wouldn't we?

• Fire 1

So I would love to see Riley come in and have an immediate impact with the same personnel -- which of course includes making better personnel decisions and reconfiguring Bo's depth chart.

I don't think Riley is going to overhaul the offense, either. He will start Tommy Armstrong and groom his replacement. He's going to like what a running quarterback brings to the table and see if he can get him to make smarter decisions with better passing mechanics. Pretty much what any HC we hired would do. As many here complained about, Beck and Watson ran a big playbook. We were adept at, if not masterful, running a variety of offensive sets. Mike Riley doesn't need to institute a major shift in scheme or philosophy -- he just gets to edit it down. If anything, it should get easier.

The strengths and weaknesses among defensive personnel are scattered in much the way they've been the past 5 seasons, and if the problem was stubborn adherence to flawed schemes, that's something immediately addressable. Again, more of a relief than a challenge.

It's a different season and possibly a tougher schedule, so I don't have a magic number of wins in order to declare my satisfaction. I do think Nebraska fans are smart enough to recognize good football when they see it. That's what I'm rooting for.

I also think Mike Riley took the job understanding the pressure and expectation at Nebraska. Seems that's exactly why he took the job. So I'm not going to declare this season a learning experience with reduced expectations. I want to see better coaching immediately. Why wouldn't we?

Exactly how I see it as well, which is why I feel it's an "Indy or bust" season, even in year 1.

AS

His last team- the last year of the 5 year plan team beat Florida in the Outback Bowl

When you take over a weak program it's one step at a time and at the end of the day, his teams won consistently

Had he stayed they would have been a consistent Big 10 Dynasty, just like he did at his other stops

At LSU and Bama

You do know that Saban left to go to LSU before the bowl game, right? Bobby Williams coached the bowl game against Florida.

Of course

Sabans team

Same team that beat Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Oregon and Notre Dame that year

And lost 52-28 to Purdue and 40-10 to Wisconsin.

And the MSU fans were throwing the guy a parade for that season

What a great season 5 from where they came from

They would have been a dynasty had he decided to stay for less $$ and the cold weather

Yep and the dog would have caught the rabbit if he wouldn't have stopped to take a sh#t.

You can't say one way or another if Saban could have built a dynasty at MSU. I'm sure you are basing that off of his success at LSU and Bama.

He won everywhere he has been in College

National Championships at LSU and Bama

No doubt, he would have created a Dynasty at MSU, no different than he has always done in college like at LSU and Bama. In great there, but not as MSU? I dont think so

There is a reason he makes the $$ he does- guaranteed success

He and Meyer are absolutley obsessed with winning and have the leadership and TEACHING skills to make it happen no matter where they coach in College

Most have no clue what a great teacher he is- watched him coach DBs hands on. The guy is off the charts with his details

BUT IF a player can get the same results doing it DIFFERENTLY than he teaches he is 100% ok with that

He teaches a much different approach with his DBs- but he isnt a control freak- he lets the kids play IF they are getting results

Was shocked to hear him say this at a clinic I attended- but thats what he said

offensively I feel pretty much the same way you do. I really don't expect to see massive changes this fall. We didn't see huge changes in the spring, why would we expect it in the fall.

Defensively, I don't think BP's scheme was necessarily flawed, but it was complex, and didn't allow the players to make athletic plays too often. Banker's defense may get burned a little more often by the pass, but I can live with that if they are better at stopping the run.

NU deserves a top 10-15 coach, Riley isn't a top 10-15 coach

Who are the top 10 coaches?

Which ones would have accepted NU's offer?

Same questions for 11-15.

Why does NU "deserve" this?

We are top 5 in all time wins

300+ sellouts

Great facilities

Good money

Still a "brand" name with many

Excellent academic support

Clean image

Consistent 9 or 9+ win seasons even with average coaching staff- which means we arent great, but you arent starting at the bottom or even the middle

Coaching in a "winnable" conference, only one OSU really as any bully standing in the way

It is a top 15 job, that should have a top 15 coach coaching it

Riley isnt a top 30 coach, let alone top 15

Im rooting for him, but he isnt an upper echelon coach in the eyes of most

I really want to know who jmfb feels the top 10-15 coaches in the country are? We know Sabin and Meyer are 1 and 2, and from reading his stuff I think Rich Rod fits into his thought pattern. I bet we could throw Jimbo in there also. After that I am thinking Bryles, Patterson and most likely big game bob. That's 8 guys. Which of those 8 would be coming to Nebraska to coach? The next 7 I don't know about?

I dont want to get into a fake "debate" about who the top 15 are when many wont admit Meyer and Saban are far ahead of the pack, are first ballot Hall of Fame guys. Pretty pointless

That has been done to death

So the best we could do was what the 41st ranked College football coach with barely a winning college record?

Ok, got it, NU is the 41st best College Football program out there, Man the facilities, support and $$ must stink here :confucius

I really want to know who jmfb feels the top 10-15 coaches in the country are? We know Sabin and Meyer are 1 and 2, and from reading his stuff I think Rich Rod fits into his thought pattern. I bet we could throw Jimbo in there also. After that I am thinking Bryles, Patterson and most likely big game bob. That's 8 guys. Which of those 8 would be coming to Nebraska to coach? The next 7 I don't know about?

If all opinions are equal in value as you say- just go out and ask the old gal crossing the street or the kids hanging out at the corner market

That seems to work for you

If you have a medical question or something say on economics or physics, go ahead and ask them too. All opinions are equally valuable remember.

I dont want to get into a fake "debate" about who the top 15 are when many wont admit Meyer and Saban are far ahead of the pack, are first ballot Hall of Fame guys. Pretty pointless

That has been done to death

So the best we could do was what the 41st ranked College football coach with barely a winning college record?

Ok, got it, NU is the 41st best College Football program out there, Man the facilities, support and $$ must stink here :confucius

Has anyone said that Saban is not a great coach?

Exactly how I see it as well, which is why I feel it's an "Indy or bust" season, even in year 1.

That's where we differ. I can easily see signs of improvement and optimism in a season where we don't reach the title game.

• Fire 2