Riley Shelf Life

=====================================================================================================================

I moved a couple of posts to the Offending Posts thread in the Shed. You guys need to tone it down some. You don't need to agree with each other. But try to be halfway civil in your discussions.

=====================================================================================================================

Ah come on, NUance. You used to be cool. Now you're just one of them. :D

...said the soon-to-be former HB poster jsneb83.

:lol:

I moved a couple of posts to the Offending Posts thread in the Shed. You guys need to tone it down some. You don't need to agree with each other. But try to be halfway civil in your discussions.

...said the soon-to-be former HB poster jsneb83.

:lol:

I will say, I keep forgetting that saunders, Tom, and you are all mods now.

tumblr_mlw4887cQE1s00ervo1_500.gif

We are all kidding ourselves if we think things have not changed a bit in Nebraska

30 years ago when I was doing camps EVERY kid had NU gear on- IF it was a school branded item

That has slowly but surely changed

10 years ago I started seeing some Oregon, OU and even Texas gear

Now I see a lot of Oregon, then Alabama, Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, USC, TCU and even UCLA stuff

The breakdown now is about 35% NU, 40% no college brand and 25% the rest

In Omaha and Lincoln- far LESS NU gear on the kids- LOT more variety

In rural areas- NU is much better represented- dominates

It wasnt that way 30-20 or even 10 years ago

We are all kidding ourselves if we think things have not changed a bit in Nebraska

30 years ago when I was doing camps EVERY kid had NU gear on- IF it was a school branded item

Now I see a lot of Oregon, then Alabama, Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, USC, TCU and even UCLA stuff

I doubt that's entirely because NU hasn't been successful since the Osborne era. Omaha and Lincoln are attracting a lot of families from out of state.

FWIW, my family moved away from Omaha in 1990. When we would came back to visit my dad was a little taken back by how much more NU gear people wore out in public. Especially after the title years. Heck, we were big fans then but we owned more apparel after we moved away, than while we lived in Nebraska.

When/if we become elite again, we'll see more nebraska gear and championship t-shirts and such.

TV has changed that a lot.

I just listened to a Podcast interview with Christian Peter. He was talking about his recruiting process and how growing up, even in NJ Nebraska was on TV much more than anyone else.

Well, here in Nebraska, we DEFINITELY didn't get a lot of other games to watch. Nebraska was our program and that is what we watched on TV. Now days, any kid in the state can pretty much turn on the TV and watch any major program across the country.

This changes many kid's perspective especially if maybe they don't have a parent that is a huge Husker fan and takes them to games growing up.

I doubt that's entirely because NU hasn't been successful since the Osborne era. Omaha and Lincoln are attracting a lot of families from out of state.

I didnt say it was because of NU not being successful, that is just a part of it

Some of that may come from families moving in- but some of the kids I knew who were wearing non NU stuff were from local families

Back in the early 2000s when it first started showing up, I used to joke that the kids wearing it were going to have to run if they chose to wear it

IMO it has to do with:

Other brands being promoted on TV- the Bama and Oregons of the world

TV games are on everywhere

When I was growing up we only got to see a couple of games a weekend and those games were always just the major brands- NU, OU, Notre Dame etc

Now everyone is on all the time

Great Branding by teams such as Oregon, Boise State, USC, with uniforms and even lifestyle "USC"

Kids like being a little different, discovering a niche that they identify with that is different than the mainstream

When was the last time NU lost a rural player they really wanted? It's a different culture there compared to Omaha/Lincoln when it comes to NU football

I live in Northeast Kansas, right along the Kansas/Missouri border. Besides Oregon, I haven't really noticed another team taking foothold here besides the locals. If anything, I think our interest here has grown. Another thing that I believe can contribute to kids wearing other teams apparel is the "gear sales". Some of my friends used to go to them when was in high school a few yeas ago. Basically you pick up a teams cool, catchy gear for cheap. Most kids nowadays don't really care who the university is as long as they look athletic and cool wearing it.

I live in Northeast Kansas, right along the Kansas/Missouri border. Besides Oregon, I haven't really noticed another team taking foothold here besides the locals. If anything, I think our interest here has grown. Another thing that I believe can contribute to kids wearing other teams apparel are the "gear sales". Some of my friends used to go to them when was in high school a few yeas ago. Basically you pick up a teams cool, catchy gear for cheap. Most kids nowadays don't really care who the university is as long as they look athletic and cool wearing it.

Do you think this is a done deal or just part of the recruiting saga?

I dont know

I know the Buback family

Chris is head of FCA- done some camps with him

But Ive never talked to him about his sons college choice

LC often times plays kids out of position to max out their team

I dont know enough about him to say he is a great player or not

What I hear from Jareds words is maybe he didnt feel wanted- like they really felt he was the right fit, That maybe NU was just honoring the commitment of the previous coaching staff.

JMO- have no inside info at all.

I was thinking the same. I read somewhere that the staff told him they would honor the previous staff's offer. If that's what they said (and how they said it, as opposed to we want you to come/we're excited with the prospect of you coming), I can understand. Also, you would think if the staff did really want him, they would taking action to try to get him back and I haven't heard anything to suggest they have (but that of course doesn't mean they haven't - I just haven't heard anything).

Of course this is just speculation. But hey, it's a message board.

I havent spoke to Chris in over a year

However I do know from what Ive read that Jared wasnt contacted until 6 weeks after the hire

That doesnt give me a good feeling if Im Jared

Would have done the same thing he did- put feelers out, cant blame him for that

He hasnt blocked much

That isnt a great fit for a TE in a Pro Style offense

MUCH less of a problem for the type of Spread that Rich Rod runs and how ASU uses Tight Ends- lots of flexed out- much less of a blocker- H back

Hate to be "that guy," but as someone who was born a Husker and went to ASU, I feel that it's my Sun Devil duty to point out that Rich Rod coaches for that dump down in Tucson. Todd Graham is running the show at ASU and really has that "up and coming" hype train running at full speed.

Do you think this is a done deal or just part of the recruiting saga?

I dont know

I know the Buback family

Chris is head of FCA- done some camps with him

But Ive never talked to him about his sons college choice

LC often times plays kids out of position to max out their team

I dont know enough about him to say he is a great player or not

What I hear from Jareds words is maybe he didnt feel wanted- like they really felt he was the right fit, That maybe NU was just honoring the commitment of the previous coaching staff.

JMO- have no inside info at all.

I was thinking the same. I read somewhere that the staff told him they would honor the previous staff's offer. If that's what they said (and how they said it, as opposed to we want you to come/we're excited with the prospect of you coming), I can understand. Also, you would think if the staff did really want him, they would taking action to try to get him back and I haven't heard anything to suggest they have (but that of course doesn't mean they haven't - I just haven't heard anything).

Of course this is just speculation. But hey, it's a message board.

I havent spoke to Chris in over a year

However I do know from what Ive read that Jared wasnt contacted until 6 weeks after the hire

That doesnt give me a good feeling if Im Jared

Would have done the same thing he did- put feelers out, cant blame him for that

He hasnt blocked much

That isnt a great fit for a TE in a Pro Style offense

MUCH less of a problem for the type of Spread that Rich Rod runs and how ASU uses Tight Ends- lots of flexed out- much less of a blocker- H back

Hate to be "that guy," but as someone who was born a Husker and went to ASU, I feel that it's my Sun Devil duty to point out that Rich Rod coaches for that dump down in Tucson. Todd Graham is running the show at ASU and really has that "up and coming" hype train running at full speed.

My mistake

Thanks for the heads up

If Buback does go to ASU- Im sure he will be a solid citizen

After visiting the campus after the 95 Fiesta Bowl I can see why he's considering it

We love spending time nearby in Scottsdale

Hey, no problem at all. The hatred for that school down in Tucson burns deeply within me. :)

ASU definitely has a lot going for it right now. It is a beautiful campus and has a lot to offer that an incoming freshman could be swayed by. And the team is certainly doing well; Todd Graham is absolutely loved by his players and I can imagine he puts together a good story for recruits. The biggest adjustment will be attending a school with 70,000 plus students; that can be pretty daunting for an 18 year old kid. I know it was for me. Still a bummer to lose a local Nebraska kid, but I wish him well.

I live in Northeast Kansas, right along the Kansas/Missouri border. Besides Oregon, I haven't really noticed another team taking foothold here besides the locals. If anything, I think our interest here has grown. Another thing that I believe can contribute to kids wearing other teams apparel is the "gear sales". Some of my friends used to go to them when was in high school a few yeas ago. Basically you pick up a teams cool, catchy gear for cheap. Most kids nowadays don't really care who the university is as long as they look athletic and cool wearing it.

My experience is different then

Ive also attended some Nike Combines and FBU camps in other parts of the country

I found the same there- lots of team gear from other areas of the country.

It varies a bit by region

Damon Benning was on the radio today- he said he saw the very same thing I did

His sons three favorite teams are NU Oregon and TCU- has gear for all

One of my own kids likes Lacrosse and wears the Duke gear- a great Lacrosse power.