Riley Shelf Life

When you consider Oregon State won 52 games total in the 25 years leading up to the Riley hire, he definitely won consistently there.

BTW that has to be up there for worst run in p5 school history. Averaging 2 wins a year for a quarter century is incredible futility.

Yeah, I don't understand all the effort to diminish what he did there. He was a pretty big overachiever. I don't want to say there's people who don't understand the fundamental difference between Oregon State and Nebraska in the landscape of college football, but it sure seems that way sometimes.

Hey, no problem at all. The hatred for that school down in Tucson burns deeply within me. :)

ASU definitely has a lot going for it right now. It is a beautiful campus and has a lot to offer that an incoming freshman could be swayed by. And the team is certainly doing well; Todd Graham is absolutely loved by his players and I can imagine he puts together a good story for recruits. The biggest adjustment will be attending a school with 70,000 plus students; that can be pretty daunting for an 18 year old kid. I know it was for me. Still a bummer to lose a local Nebraska kid, but I wish him well.

Any insight on why Dennis Erickson failed at ASU after such a strong start?
Dennis Erickson never failed. Must be someone else's fault. I mean....just look at his record at Oregon St. The guy is a legend.
I would have to agree with you about OSU

For coaches coaching 4 years or more he holds the record for highest winning % and of course highest ranking in OSU history- the team that went 11-1 and finished 4th in nation

And right in the middle of the Mike Riley tenure at a place a lot of people think is impossible to win at consistently, which they were wrong about

Great run

Did better at OSU than at Arizona State

Had some rough patches after OSU- not a HOF coach

Some guys fade over time- it happens. pretty common

Not impossible

Mike Riley won there

pretty consistently.

Well Mike RIley having 6 losing seasons out of 14 and having a losing record in conference wouldn't be winning consistently by most peoples definitions

Not mine either

Erickson greatly benifitted from Riley's foundation, as in the recruits Riley brought in before leaving for another opportunity, a business decision. Erickson won with Riley's recruits, he won with what Jimmy Johnson left behind, and he struggled at ASU. He is business savvy, but a mediocre coach.

I think Mark Banker is an upgrade at DC over JP, just look at how many more years of experience he has and the fact that he has been a DC before. Our position coaches on the defensive side are all upgrades in my opinion and a tie between Charlton Warren and Stewart. Anyway, instead of comparing between different staffs all the time I think Riley and co will have a lot of talent on the roster, but tough opponents in the coming years. I will trust that he gets us to compete and win most of those games in the coming years. I give Riley time and I don't think he needs a minimum years because I think he will start impressing right away. I will wait and see how he does before I say he has x amount of years to win or else he will be fired.

• Fire 1

We have a new year coming, a new coach, a new excitement from the team it appears.

why not let it run its course. If he can not do the job, plain and simple he will be gone, move on to the next coach.

I think he is the right guy. If you feel Bo was robbed, cheated, treated unfairly and truly like the man, then follow him to Youngstown State, see where that leads.

Way smarter people than any on this board, and I could not give a crap less how long you have coached pee wee, Jr All American or High School, your not on the same level, have no real clue of what it takes to be on that level, or you would be. So tired of hearing how smart some of you are.

Right now ne is Nebraska's greatest coach, because he is the only Nebraska Head Coach. He demands respect for that. Give him the opportunity to win or fail.

This forum is sickening at times. This how many page garbage barrel needs to stop.

• Fire 5

When you consider Oregon State won 52 games total in the 25 years leading up to the Riley hire, he definitely won consistently there.

BTW that has to be up there for worst run in p5 school history. Averaging 2 wins a year for a quarter century is incredible futility.

Yes, they were bad

Some really bad runs by teams like Kansas State and FSU as well- to the point they considered giving up football

Didnt turn out too badly for them

So what you are saying is Riley did a great job because OSU was bad. got it

Well how does it fit in that Dennis Erickson came in 2 years into the Riley tenure and went 31-17?

A record winning % and all time highest ranking #4- as well as 3 of 4 winning seasons

It will be interesting to see how well the next guy does, kind of a barometer for how hard it really is to win in the Pac in Corvallis

I guess it goes to how you define consistently, if you are saying he won consistently

Having a losing record in conference and a winning season just 8 of 14- to me isnt winning consistently- just 1 losing season away from half the time

That wont fly here- not even close

We have a new year coming, a new coach, a new excitement from the team it appears.

why not let it run its course. If he can not do the job, plain and simple he will be gone, move on to the next coach.

I think he is the right guy. If you feel Bo was robbed, cheated, treated unfairly and truly like the man, then follow him to Youngstown State, see where that leads.

Way smarter people than any on this board, and I could not give a crap less how long you have coached pee wee, Jr All American or High School, your not on the same level, have no real clue of what it takes to be on that level, or you would be. So tired of hearing how smart some of you are.

Right now ne is Nebraska's greatest coach, because he is the only Nebraska Head Coach. He demands respect for that. Give him the opportunity to win or fail.

This forum is sickening at times. This how many page garbage barrel needs to stop.

Ive said MANY MANY times, Bo wasnt the long term solution to our coaching needs and was VERY happy that he was fired

As always, Im supporting the team with my season tickets/attendance and $upport

Im sceptical- with plenty of solid reasoning why as are a lot of other long term Husker fans and non coolaid drinkers

If people want this thread to stop- all they have to do is stop commenting on it

Hey, no problem at all. The hatred for that school down in Tucson burns deeply within me. :)

ASU definitely has a lot going for it right now. It is a beautiful campus and has a lot to offer that an incoming freshman could be swayed by. And the team is certainly doing well; Todd Graham is absolutely loved by his players and I can imagine he puts together a good story for recruits. The biggest adjustment will be attending a school with 70,000 plus students; that can be pretty daunting for an 18 year old kid. I know it was for me. Still a bummer to lose a local Nebraska kid, but I wish him well.

Any insight on why Dennis Erickson failed at ASU after such a strong start?
Dennis Erickson never failed. Must be someone else's fault. I mean....just look at his record at Oregon St. The guy is a legend.
I would have to agree with you about OSU

For coaches coaching 4 years or more he holds the record for highest winning % and of course highest ranking in OSU history- the team that went 11-1 and finished 4th in nation

And right in the middle of the Mike Riley tenure at a place a lot of people think is impossible to win at consistently, which they were wrong about

Great run

Did better at OSU than at Arizona State

Had some rough patches after OSU- not a HOF coach

Some guys fade over time- it happens. pretty common

Not impossible

Mike Riley won there

pretty consistently.

Well Mike RIley having 6 losing seasons out of 14 and having a losing record in conference wouldn't be winning consistently by most peoples definitions

Not mine either

Erickson greatly benifitted from Riley's foundation, as in the recruits Riley brought in before leaving for another opportunity, a business decision. Erickson won with Riley's recruits, he won with what Jimmy Johnson left behind, and he struggled at ASU. He is business savvy, but a mediocre coach.

That may very well be the case

But when you win in your 4th year- after Riley was there just 2 years, maybe not so much. Hard to turn a program around in 1 year, they went from 2 to 3 wins in year one. Then you leave in year 2 In the middle of putting together your third recruiting class- that isn't a whole lot to work with in most places. A lot of those year 3 guys aren't sticking around to play for a different coach for a school that won 8 games in the previous 2 years. That first recruiting class is usually a bit of a reach with the tiny window unless youre a big name like a Saban or Meyer.

I could see what you are saying if Erickson coached somewhere for 2 years following a guy who had been there for 5-10 years, 2, not so much.

If Erickson was a mediocre coach who set the all time record for single season wins and winning % in 4 years + at OSU, that says something to me. Mediocre guy consistently wins at a place, must mean the place isn't such an awful place to coach at.

He had a great run at Miami- but all the fans in the seats around mine at the OB were not fans of his and that was even in the first quarter when Miami was taking it to us.

I don't know much about him other than he made some noise one year at left coast OSU. Seems like a good guy with decent ability but Nebraska needed a splash hire. Maybe there wasn't one for the taking this year or taking a flier on an unknown is too much of a risk and would upset the fans. I use Alabama as an example - they had some lean years under Curry, Dubose, Franchione, Shula. Getting the right coach is so key. They got Saban and look what he did in a couple of years. No reason Nebraska shouldn't get a top tier coach. Might need to open the wallet but guys like Saban and Meyer pay for their salary ten fold.

• Fire 1

Riley and staff will have to go out of their way to do worse than Bo. Thats what it boils down to. Bo left the cupboard fairly full of talent to work with. Riley will bting in better classes. And the entire staff has a plethora of experience compared to the newbies we had before.

If a coach in his first gig with a staff learning their jobs on the fly can win 9 games a season, why the frick can't Riley and his experienced guys? Answer: There is no damn reason, end of discussion.