Riley Shelf Life

When you consider Oregon State won 52 games total in the 25 years leading up to the Riley hire, he definitely won consistently there.

BTW that has to be up there for worst run in p5 school history. Averaging 2 wins a year for a quarter century is incredible futility.

Duke is a 50 currently in 15 seasons. If it weren't for a miraculous turn around by Cutcliff and company the last two seasons (19 wins I believe). Duke may have been looking at something similar in 10 years.

I could not give a crap less how long you have coached pee wee, Jr All American or High School, your not on the same level, have no real clue of what it takes to be on that level, or you would be.

+1

While I agree, and it's annoying (I know I've been annoying on multiple occasions after throwing some drinks back). I do appreciate those others that have been coaching on the high school level because even though they don't know what it takes to win on a Div 1 level. They do offer insight different from the casual fan. It's refreshing in my opinion. Just depends on the subject at hand though.

Sometimes I read things on here that only people in the profession know anything about when it comes to the gameday threads and playcalls or what not. Some of the people on here spew things about that stuff that make zero sense.

My example is usually when people refer to running the diamond. Thinking it's gunna make the difference in a game. Just because we scored a touchdown 1 time on 1 play, when never showing it before on film. That comment drives me insane, and shows how little that person knows about the game.

So even though, us coaches can get annoying, EVERYONE is capable of getting on that level in some capacity.

• Fire 1

We have a new year coming, a new coach, a new excitement from the team it appears.

why not let it run its course. If he can not do the job, plain and simple he will be gone, move on to the next coach.

I think he is the right guy. If you feel Bo was robbed, cheated, treated unfairly and truly like the man, then follow him to Youngstown State, see where that leads.

Way smarter people than any on this board, and I could not give a crap less how long you have coached pee wee, Jr All American or High School, your not on the same level, have no real clue of what it takes to be on that level, or you would be. So tired of hearing how smart some of you are.

Right now ne is Nebraska's greatest coach, because he is the only Nebraska Head Coach. He demands respect for that. Give him the opportunity to win or fail.

This forum is sickening at times. This how many page garbage barrel needs to stop.

I agree about letting Mike Riley coach. I'm optimistic myself.

But this forum isn't sickening. It's the off-season. Guys talking about football. Speculating because we don't have much choice. And it would actually get creepy if there wasn't any skepticism.

• Fire 1

To be clear, Erickson went 11-1 in his second season and then fell back to earth the next two years. Maybe he decided to leave when he realized that he probably couldn't get back their again.

His last year they were 8-5, beat Oregon and 2 snaps from being a 10-3 team with a +150 point differential- His only losing season they were 3 snaps away from being 8-3

If I was coaching those teams, my thoughts would be, heh we arent that far away, this isnt a bridge too far. We can consistently be in the 7-8-9 win area and We were 11-1, that's doable again in a very good year

The thing is OSU isnt the "armpit-only great coaches can field competitive teams there" that many here want to make it out to be

Some pretty good data to back that up and of course we will find out this year with their brand new staff. Time will tell, we will know more by December

Riley was not my first choice to replace Bo. I wanted a younger, hungrier coach who accomplished more than what was expected or possible. That coach to me was Matt Wells of Utah State. When I saw the ESPN piece on Riley, I really liked his professional demeanor and attitude. You just want to root for the guy. He is going to do a lot to fix our national image that Bo certainly tarnished. The first few years under Riley could be rough as the coaches and players adjust to one another. These next few recruiting cycles are also very, very important. So far, we seem to be getting a lot of targets that we want without settling for the second or third option. I predict we will have some 7,8,9 win seasons followed by some double digit win seasons with some more 8 or 9 win seasons. As long as the staff is classy and does things right, you have to allow for a few mulligan seasons when the injury bug bites or you just have that season where the ball is not bouncing your way. Patience. I'd like to see Riley stay here for a good while and have him groom a successor.

• Fire 2

Hey, no problem at all. The hatred for that school down in Tucson burns deeply within me. :)

ASU definitely has a lot going for it right now. It is a beautiful campus and has a lot to offer that an incoming freshman could be swayed by. And the team is certainly doing well; Todd Graham is absolutely loved by his players and I can imagine he puts together a good story for recruits. The biggest adjustment will be attending a school with 70,000 plus students; that can be pretty daunting for an 18 year old kid. I know it was for me. Still a bummer to lose a local Nebraska kid, but I wish him well.

Any insight on why Dennis Erickson failed at ASU after such a strong start?

In my opinion, he inherited a pretty stacked team after Koetter was let go, which led to a great first season at ASU. But he really struggled recruiting and I don't think the staff around him was very strong. The team really declined during his tenure, and lost a bunch of games to the UofA which is not acceptable for ASU coaches. He also had some off the field issues (some publicized, some rumored), plus a lame duck AD in Lisa Love. It was all a perfect storm that led to him struggling in Tempe.

Dennis Erickson was a bit of a nightmare during his run with the San Francisco 49ers, having inherited a decent roster from a better coach, then two seasons later driving them into the ground with an unimaginably bad 2 - 14 season.

Before that he had taken a talented Seattle Seahawks squad and and slowly turned them into under-performers.

Dennis Erickson was a bit of a nightmare during his run with the San Francisco 49ers, having inherited a decent roster from a better coach, then two seasons later driving them into the ground with an unimaginably bad 2 - 14 season.

Before that he had taken a talented Seattle Seahawks squad and and slowly turned them into under-performers.

Im not so sure the NFL game translates that well to College coaching

If it does, then a really average or below coach (maybe he was) was able to do quite a bit better than Mike Riley at Oregon State

Im not so sure the NFL game translates that well to College coaching

If it does, then a really average or below coach (maybe he was) was able to do quite a bit better than Mike Riley at Oregon State

I'm not sure, either.

Which is why I turn to people who have extensive experience in both professional and college football and take note of their consistent and often strong endorsement of Mike Riley's coaching abilities.

Endorsements that were not necessarily extended to Dennis Erickson's long, erratic decline in the coaching ranks.

Admittedly, I was not initially happy with the hire. I was getting my haircut and I was just in a crazy frenzy talking about how much I don't know about the guy. My barber then told my boss (who also gets his haircut there) that I was going crazy and actin' a fool!

Anyway, I came back and immediately started mourning our inability to get David Shaw (who was my #1 choice). I was thinking "man, we should've did what Bama. They did whatever it took to get Saban. Same with OSU getting Urban Meyer. Why could we do that?" I then randomly googled "Best coaches in college football".

What I found was this list.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap2000000360745

Surprised to see Riley there at #14. After that, I felt like there was something to it, and after learning about the guy I felt better. What I think really makes me like the guy is the staff. Say what you want about Riley, this staff is crazy experienced. I think that might be the most impressive of this. We aren't seeing a golf coach, or a guy who really just wants to be a minister. We are seeing guys who are crazy passionate about the sport, and their prospective positions. That to me says a lot!

I am still skeptical. But if they can coach these kids to make less mistakes. That right there makes us a better team.

Also,

My example is usually when people refer to running the diamond. Thinking it's gunna make the difference in a game. Just because we scored a touchdown 1 time on 1 play, when never showing it before on film. That comment drives me insane, and shows how little that person knows about the game.

Dude what are you taking about!?!? DIAMOND FORMATION = TOUCHDOWN FORMATION!!!

• Fire 1

I was very similar, cg_8! I also recall really hoping we'd somehow get David Shaw. When I first heard the name, it was out of left field. I had no idea who the guy was and felt a tinge of disappointment.

Then I thought I had better go read a little about the guy. And the disappointment quickly turned to elation.

He wasn't the only coach I would have been happy with. But he's exactly the right kind of guy.