Riley Shelf Life

I was very similar, cg_8! I also recall really hoping we'd somehow get David Shaw. When I first heard the name, it was out of left field. I had no idea who the guy was and felt a tinge of disappointment.

Then I thought I had better go read a little about the guy. And the disappointment quickly turned to elation.

He wasn't the only coach I would have been happy with. But he's exactly the right kind of guy.

That is exactly the path I took to where I'm at now.

Dennis Erickson was a bit of a nightmare during his run with the San Francisco 49ers, having inherited a decent roster from a better coach, then two seasons later driving them into the ground with an unimaginably bad 2 - 14 season.

Before that he had taken a talented Seattle Seahawks squad and and slowly turned them into under-performers.

Im not so sure the NFL game translates that well to College coaching

If it does, then a really average or below coach (maybe he was) was able to do quite a bit better than Mike Riley at Oregon State

I'm not sure, either.

Which is why I turn to people who have extensive experience in both professional and college football and take note of their consistent and often strong endorsement of Mike Riley's coaching abilities.

Endorsements that were not necessarily extended to Dennis Erickson's long, erratic decline in the coaching ranks.

You missed the entire point which was slowly and carefully explained

No one said DE was right for NU or should be hired here

I dont think we should be hiring anyone in their 60s or a guy like DE right now

The point was MANY people point to MIke Rileys "success" at OSU as something to hang his hat on

Once more- their mantra is "OSU is a terrible place to coach at, only a great coach could have any success at all there" Not sure I agree with it- the 6 losing seasons and conference losing record- but some believe that

My counter point was Dennis Erickson did much better than Mike Riley there and no one is proclaiming DE to be a great coach- yet he did much better than MR in same location in same era

Im not sure the claim that Mike Rileys tenure at OSU was great- because another "average" coach did much better in same era

The worse Erickson looks- the worse Riley looks- being outperformed by a schlep at the same school- same era

Friends and acquaintances are always going to endorse and well wish the nice guy. Im not sure it means a lot other than hes a friendly great PR nice guy, which is a good thing

So, Erickson did good at some places and not good at others. What that tells me is that success at one place doesn't guarantee success at another. Not winning championships at one place doesn't mean he can't do it at another.

This is because every situation is different. Gene Chizik was 5-19 at ISU over two years with his second season being 2-10 with an 0-8 record in the conference. He actually got worse his second year there than his first. He jumps ship to Auburn and two years later he wins an NC.

In 4 years at OSU, Les Miles was 28-21 and the best he had done was 3rd in his division. His bowl record was 1-2. He had a .500 record in conference. He jumps ship to LSU and he wins an NC three years later.

The fact remains that there is a difference in programs and what can be done at those programs. There is a difference between situations coaches are in at various programs.

I will trust the decision making of people who know one hell of a lot more than anyone on an internet message board over if he is the right guy for the job since we have nothing to base anything else on other than speculation.

So, Erickson did good at some places and not good at others. What that tells me is that success at one place doesn't guarantee success at another. Not winning championships at one place doesn't mean he can't do it at another.

This is because every situation is different. Gene Chizik was 5-19 at ISU over two years with his second season being 2-10 with an 0-8 record in the conference. He actually got worse his second year there than his first. He jumps ship to Auburn and two years later he wins an NC.

In 4 years at OSU, Les Miles was 28-21 and the best he had done was 3rd in his division. His bowl record was 1-2. He had a .500 record in conference. He jumps ship to LSU and he wins an NC three years later.

The fact remains that there is a difference in programs and what can be done at those programs. There is a difference between situations coaches are in at various programs.

I will trust the decision making of people who know one hell of a lot more than anyone on an internet message board over if he is the right guy for the job since we have nothing to base anything else on other than speculation.

Im not confident a 62 year old coach who hasnt won anything before in College football- will all of a sudden win something or that someone that hasnt consistently won - will consistently win. Especially when an average by most standards coach came right behind him and was able to do so.

You arent looking at the complete resume when it comes to guys like Miles

Great run at Colorado during the MCCarney era

Nice 8 year run at Michigan

OSU was 5–6, 5–6, and 3–8. the 3 seasons before he got there. He upset top 4 OU in year 1, beat a top 3 OU in one of the subsequent years. his only losing season in 4 was year 1

Im guessing if he stayed he would have been consistently successful there- just like he was at the previous stops and LSU- very consistent

Cant blame someone for doubling their income by leaving

Look at Sean Es resume when it comes to hiring head football coaches, He is the one making the decsion- what is his track record there? He doesnt really have one

If MR has consistent success, SE is officially the smartest guy in the room- but he doesnt have a track record to go on either

I didn't realize Miles was the HC at Colorado and Michigan.

If you want past success. Riley won two grey cups actually as a HC. Bo won an NC as a coordinator. Where did that put him as an HC?

Nick Saben was 34-24-1 with his best year being 2nd in the conference and he never won a bowl game at MSU before he went to LSU and won an NC 4 years later.

Dantonio is 75 -31 at MSU with a lot more hardware to show for it. Saben never got them there but a different coach could. I'm guessing Saben is a pretty good coach.

It is your opinion that a 62 year old coach can't get it done here and you are basing that off of what he did at a school with much less to offer recruits than Nebraska.

You're entitled to that opinion but that doesn't make it fact.

• Fire 3

If you want past success. Riley won two grey cups actually as a HC. Bo won an NC as a coordinator. Where did that put him as an HC?

Nick Saben was 34-24-1 with his best year being 2nd in the conference and he never won a bowl game at MSU before he went to LSU and won an NC 4 years later.

Dantonio is 75 -31 at MSU with a lot more hardware to show for it. Saben never got them there but a different coach could. I'm guessing Saben is a pretty good coach.

It is your opinion that a 62 year old coach can't get it done here and you are basing that off of what he did at a school with much less to offer recruits than Nebraska.

Had SabAn- not Saben stayed, he would have built a dynasty at MSU, just like he did at LSU and Bama- this again?

Ok- Saban never had a losing season at MSU, brought them up to a winner and had a 10 win season in his last year of the 5 year resurrection plan- he did it

MSU was very happy with the turnaround Saban engineered at MSU- he was right where he said he would be in year 5

Im very certain he would have had as good or better success at MSU had he stayed- hes shown he will go down in history as one of the all time great college coaches

Lots of NFL and College guys haven't been able to make what they did in college work in the NFL and Vis Versa- I don't think it matters MUCH different equation

If that does matter then I guess Rileys failure at San Diego counts too.

Im not confident a 62 year old coach who hasnt won anything before in College football- will all of a sudden win something or that someone that hasnt consistently won - will consistently win. Especially when an average by most standards coach came right behind him and was able to do so.

OSU was 5–6, 5–6, and 3–8. the 3 seasons before he got there. He upset top 4 OU in year 1, beat a top 3 OU in one of the subsequent years. his only losing season in 4 was year 1

Im guessing if he stayed he would have been consistently successful there- just like he was at the previous stops and LSU- very consistent

Look at Sean Es resume when it comes to hiring head football coaches, He is the one making the decsion- what is his track record there? He doesnt really have one

If MR has consistent success, SE is officially the smartest guy in the room- but he doesnt have a track record to go on either

Or he could have been like Riley after he went 10-4, 9-4, 9-4, 8-5 and started falling off. If Riley bolted for Bama instead of staying at Oregon St, you could possibly be saying the same thing about him that you are saying about Les right now. And saying someone was a successful assistant coach doesn't necessarily translate to him being a successful head coach.

Or he could have been like Riley after he went 10-4, 9-4, 9-4, 8-5 and started falling off. If Riley bolted for Bama instead of staying at Oregon St, you could possibly be saying the same thing about him that you are saying about Les right now. And saying someone was a successful assistant coach doesn't necessarily translate to him being a successful head coach.

Will give you the assistant thing- even though No one is willing to admit an average coach did a better job at OSU than Riley even though its there in black and white, an inconvenient truth

Not all good assistants make good CEOs- but it doesnt hurt if the team you coached was successful or you had a chance to work for a very good Head Coach

There is no guarantee MIke Riley would have been Bamas savior right?

Bama wiffed on what 3 coaches before they finally hired Saban and he engineered the turnaround and dynasty that "hot" coaches like Shula, Franchione and Dubose couldnt do

Would Mike Riley been one of the 3 or 4 corpses or not? We will never know- his NU tenure might give us a bit of a clue

I'm really not sure you can say Bama whiffed on three coaches before they hired Saban. When Gene Stallings "retired", he left Bama in pretty rough shape. DuBose inherited 30 less scholarships as Bama's HC. Franchione actually did turn Bama around. He made a good enough impression that Bama offered him a 10 year contract. He didn't sign the contract as he left for A&M because of more santions and penalties being assessed to Bama.

Had SabAn- not Saben stayed, he would have built a dynasty at MSU, just like he did at LSU and Bama- this again?

Ok- Saban never had a losing season at MSU, brought them up to a winner and had a 10 win season in his last year of the 5 year resurrection plan- he did it

MSU was very happy with the turnaround Saban engineered at MSU- he was right where he said he would be in year 5

Im very certain he would have had as good or better success at MSU had he stayed- hes shown he will go down in history as one of the all time great college coaches

Lots of NFL and College guys haven't been able to make what they did in college work in the NFL and Vis Versa- I don't think it matters MUCH different equation

If that does matter then I guess Rileys failure at San Diego counts too.

You're sure certain of a lot of unknown things, but only when they support your pre-established bias. Weird....or not.

• Fire 1

Okay, let's say in the last twenty years or so. Off the top of my head:

TO > Solich (you could argue whether it was a good transition or not)

Muschamp as the HC-in-waiting at Texas didn't turn out so great.

James Franklin bailed on Ralph Friedgen at Maryland.

WVU trying to have their lame-duck coach teach his successor was downright ugly.

Jimbo Fisher basically got the school to force Bowden out at FSU.

On the other hand, I'll grant Bielema to Alvarez at Wisconsin went pretty well.

Edit: Chip Kelly taking over for Mike Bellotti worked out.

Edit again: research.

Danny Hope went 22-27 and was fired at Purdue after Joe Tiller retired, though Purdue was not smart to fire him.

Joker Phillips went 13-24 and was fired at Kentucky after Rich Brooks retired.