Riley Shelf Life

I thought Riley was a good, out of the box. hire. If he would have been hired in 2008 everyone would have said it was a great hire.

IMO what really contributed to his teams decline at OSU is the rise of Oregon and Stanford in that 2008-2014 time period. Oregon was good before that but took it to a new level when Chip Kelley took over as head coach. That hurts recruiting and image locally. OSU wasn't getting as many of the local good players. Stanford's rise hurt because they were competing for the same type of player in California.

I also think he was getting a little too comfortable and stale. Many coaches need a new challenge after a while. Even Meyer and Saban

JBFB I am sure will just say that is an excuse, but these are factors that do have an effect.

He ain't here anymore to say it, thanks to the banhammer. :)

Really! You have banned a guy because he did not agree with the norm.

I truly disagreed with most of his crap, but I never really took anything as a personal attack.

Will admit, I am not going to miss him.

Is this a permanent ban or a scolding ban?

I'm already over him... Clogged up some meaningful discussion debating over the intricacies of the misspelling of Saban and telling us we all lived in our mother's basement playing D&D. Get it right dude! I play Settler's of Catan!

Please tell me JMFB isn't banned.

I found him occasionally maddening, but nowhere near troll level disruption. Dude knew his football — mostly — but not the fine points of interpersonal communication.

Also, I was kinda having fun with him.

Perhaps some time in the penalty box would be in order? Now back to soaking my dentures.

I truly disagreed with most of his crap, but I never really took anything as a personal attack.

No he got banned because of personal attacks

No he got banned because of personal attacks

Kinda hard to avoid the banhammer when you get like 3 warnings in one day and continue ignoring said warnings directly below those warnings.

In honesty I don't read the board like I used to. Never saw the warnings, normally only read the posts from a few people. Seems only a few of the old geezers remain. Just a different type of fan now. Nothing wrong with that, just not as fun as it used to be here for me. Plus I have a new hot rod toy and I am out driving it or on the car site a lot more.

Don't be too negative on Huskerboard or you'll get banned.

I get that he was frustrating, but cmon. I personally think Mike Riley is a C- hire, I thought he was a joke when first hired and I've upgraded him into 'meh' while accepting that Nebraska is just now a mediocre football program. Hopefully this doesn't get me canned too.

I guess because I had followed him a little because of his upsets of USC, I was not terribly surprised. Good guy, the last coach was not fired because of wins or losses. He was destroying the image of Nebraska. The change had to be a positive on that side.

But who could we have gotten that would have been that splash hire some seem to think we needed.

I would not want Harbaugh anywhere near this program. David Shaw was not leaving Stanford to come to Nebraska. Patterson, he is a god in Texas now.

Some new up and comer from the FCS ranks would have been met with questions at the least. We tried a supposed up and comer and see where that got us.

I truly wanted Tressel, a big enough splash hire.

But Coach Riley is a good man, and I think he will prove to be just what we needed. But I said that about Coach Solich and Coach Callahan, Supported both till the date they were shown the door. The past moron, not a single minute did I want him here. But this coach has potential, desires to wear the Nebraska Red, wants to make the fans happy, appears to love his job. Those things make up for a lot for me. I did not want someone that was using this great program as a stepping stone. I wanted a guy that said this is my chance to do great things, thank you God and Nebraska. I know he will give us everything he has, and I personally can not ask for more.

I prefer it when everyone settles their own hash on the board, without moderator intervention.

The threads with the snarkiest arguments have the most posts and views, so let's not pretend they drive good people away.

The banishments have been pretty lame and inconsistently applied, imho.