Riley Shelf Life

Back to the topic...It might have been mentioned before and I had missed it but does anyone see Langsdorf sticking around for Rileys tenure and maybe succeeding him?

Then Bray to DC....need to keep him around

I could see that happening. Both those things. Someday, that is. :thumbs:

I have heard these two names being floated out there already. Obviously, it is premature to have such talk, but more to the point, are we interested in another first time HC to run the program, no matter how great of a coordinator he may be?

In the coaching carousel we've experienced since Osborne's retirement, the worst W/L record is by the only one who wasn't a first time HC.

Umm, no dookie?

A first time head coach doesn't have a W-L record.

• Fire 1

Back to the topic...It might have been mentioned before and I had missed it but does anyone see Langsdorf sticking around for Rileys tenure and maybe succeeding him?

I have heard these two names being floated out there already. Obviously, it is premature to have such talk, but more to the point, are we interested in another first time HC to run the program, no matter how great of a coordinator he may be?
In the coaching carousel we've experienced since Osborne's retirement, the worst W/L record is by the only one who wasn't a first time HC.

Umm, no dookie?

Riley also has the best W/L record

Umm, no dookie?

Riley also has the best W/L record

Never mind

Umm, no dookie?

I'm referring to the W-L record of each of them as coach of the Huskers.

Sure, Solich and Pelini were both first time HC (unless you are counting HS), but Callahan only had one year under his belt. The reason I brought up the first time HC question was not about records but more about how they will handle the pressure of the position, especially at a place like Nebraska.

There is no correlation at all, either way, between head coaching experience and head coaching success. Any given year that you look at the top 25, about half of the coaches of teams listed are first timers and half are veterans. You either have it or you don't, and having already been a head coach doesn't really factor into whether you have it all that much.

Wins take care of themselves if you're taking care of the details. Bo alway's preached about the little things, and I think it became very evident that behind the scenes, there were a lot of little things that were not being taken care of.

So, speaking of taking care of details and winning, Riley's record the past 5 seasons was 29-33.
Can we ban broken records? At least until midway through the season? This same sh#t is said over and over by this poster. It's just spam now.
As long as we treat posts with unrelenting optimism the same way.

No more posts about Bo not getting recruiting, Mike Riley not having resources at Oregon State, etc.

X2

Umm, no dookie?

If you are referring to he who shall not be named, it was his first time as a college head coach so really Riley is the first coach in a LONG time to come here with actual college head coaching experience. That should really mean something.

Way too early to be talking about Bray as a DC. Sure he's been off the charts recruiting but he still needs to get it done on the field to be in that conversation. Good thing for him though is he's young and seems to have plenty of enthusiasm so I'm sure he'll get the chance to prove himself. That and we have 2 other guys on D with prior DC experience at P5 programs. (And Davis has experience as DC in the NFL)

If you are referring to he who shall not be named, it was his first time as a college head coach so really Riley is the first coach in a LONG time to come here with actual college head coaching experience. That should really mean something.

Yeah, I think Callahan's* lack of college coaching experience had a bigger impact than anyone anticipated. It seems like Cally treated his players like they were professionals. But the vast majority of college players lack the mental discipline that the pros have. And that's why he never got the most out of his players. Bo, on the other hand, hadn't been a college HC before. Yet he seemed better at training his players up, and instilling a sense of team spirit. (Even though the team spirit seemed like us-against-the-world sometimes.)

*Callahan. There, I named he who cannot be named. :lol:

• Fire 1

Way too early to be talking about Bray as a DC. Sure he's been off the charts recruiting but he still needs to get it done on the field to be in that conversation. Good thing for him though is he's young and seems to have plenty of enthusiasm so I'm sure he'll get the chance to prove himself. That and we have 2 other guys on D with prior DC experience at P5 programs. (And Davis has experience as DC in the NFL)

I think you mean Stewart...right? He has DC experience in both NFL and college.

• Fire 1

Umm, no dookie?

That would be the first time since 1962. Man...that's a hell of a long time.

Umm, no dookie?

Exactly. So take his W-L record at OSU for what you want. The thing I'm happiest about is the fact that this isn't his first Rodeo.

Umm, no dookie?

Exactly. So take his W-L record at OSU for what you want. The thing I'm happiest about is the fact that this isn't his first Rodeo.

Completely agree. My comment came more from realizing I haven't seen a new HC at Nebraska with college HC experience in my lifetime. And, I'm starting to get up there.