Riley Shelf Life

NU deserves a top 10-15 coach, Riley isn't a top 10-15 coach

Who are the top 10 coaches?

Which ones would have accepted NU's offer?

Same questions for 11-15.

Why does NU "deserve" this?

I really want to know who jmfb feels the top 10-15 coaches in the country are? We know Sabin and Meyer are 1 and 2, and from reading his stuff I think Rich Rod fits into his thought pattern. I bet we could throw Jimbo in there also. After that I am thinking Bryles, Patterson and most likely big game bob. That's 8 guys. Which of those 8 would be coming to Nebraska to coach? The next 7 I don't know about?

If all opinions are equal in value as you say- just go out and ask the old gal crossing the street or the kids hanging out at the corner market

That seems to work for you

If you have a medical question or something say on economics or physics, go ahead and ask them too. All opinions are equally valuable remember.

I know you're a coach yourself and I know that means something - honestly - but there appear to be a bunch of guys who know a lot about football at an even higher level, and the informed consensus was that Mike Riley was a smart hire for Nebraska:

Rivals.com national recruiting director Mike Farrell tweeted that the hiring is a "home run."

"I don't think Huskers fans realize what a well-respected game coach Riley is and how hard it is to win in Corvallis," Farrell wrote.

Aaron Taylor ‏@outland1997

Gut feeling that Mike Riley will be the Tim Miles for our football program. Congrats coach and welcome to the program.

Tom Lemming ‏@LemmingReport

Only time will tell but my guess is Mike Riley will bring Nebraska back to national prominence.

Sean Callahan ‏@Sean_Callahan

Another interesting tidbit about Mike Riley is he opened all practices at Oregon State to media and fans.

Also the fact USC courted him in 2011, and Alabama offered him their job in 2002 intrigues me on what drew him to make this move now?

Damon Benning ‏@damonbenning

Amongst his peers, Mike Riley finished 2nd in an ESPN poll behind Cutcliffe as the most underrated coach in the country.

Tommie Frazier ‏@TouchdownTommie

Good Hire by NU today.

George Schroeder @GeorgeSchroeder ·

Just landed to news of Mike Riley to Nebraska. Truly stunning — but that is a GREAT hire.

Scott Shanle ‏@scottshanle

After hearing from many people who know Mike Riley personally I am optimistic about the future of @Huskers football.

Dan Hoppen ‏@danhoppen

Mike Riley was heavily rumored to replace Pete Carroll at USC in 2010, Dennis Franchione at Alabama in 2002. He must like NU’s prospects.

Mike Farrell ‏@rivalsmike

I may be in the minority here but I like the Riley hire for #Huskers better than the McElwain hire for #Gators. Thoughts?

Zach Hannon ‏@_HannonZach72

I stand behind you @Coach_Riley ! I love Coach Bo and all my coaches, now it's a new era. I'm a husker through and through. #GBR

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer

"@CFBONFOX: NEWS: #Nebraska hires Oregon State's Mike Riley to replace Bo Pelini>>Good for Riley, one of the nicest guys I ever met in NFL

Mark McMillian ‏@MarkMcMillian29

If Mike Riley offered my son or any kid I coach I would send them in a heartbeat this man is all about the kids & families #GBR #Nebraska

Rich Kaipust ‏@RKaipustOWH

I liked this poll back in September because it was a vote of coaching peers -- and Mike Riley scored high on it http://es.pn/1Dc1ACC

Brian Christopherson ‏@HuskerExtraBC

Remember this when viewing Riley's record at OSU. MT @Hlas Oregon State had 28 straight losing football seasons, from '71 thru '98.

Jay Foreman ‏@foreman5655

A few things that will be different:player development and pro off!! That alone I'm cool with! Chips in!#HuskerNation

Greg Sharpe ‏@SharpeGreg

Excited to meet and work with @Coach_Riley can't wait to begin the next chapter of Husker Football. GBR!

Brock Huard ‏@BrockESPN

No one in CFB I'd trust more with my son in his program than new NEB Coach Mike Riley. Judge this hire after you see the staff he assembles

John Bishop ‏@JohnBishop71

#Huskers could double Riley's OSU salary and still be on budget with last year. Look for assistant salary pool to be strong.

B. Reilly ‏@brandonreilly01

Idk why everyone's being so negative, give the guy a chance. I mean he has a solid last name that should count for something. Let's get it!

Jon Nyatawa ‏@JonNyatawa

“He has done more with less at Oregon St than almost any coach I know" -- former NU AD Bill Byrne

Jeremy Crabtree ‏@jeremycrabtree

#Pac12 assistant on Mike Riley: “Our recruiting jobs just got a lot easier. He was the best talent evaluator in the conference by far.”

danny woodhead

@danny__woodhead

Follow

Mike Riley was my coach at the hula bowl and thought he was a great guy #realexcitedaboutthehire

10:20 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Jordan Westerkamp @JordanWesty1

Follow

Looking forward to this new experience with @Coach_Riley GBR.

10:37 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Paul Myerberg

@PaulMyerberg

Follow

Mike Riley is the most optimistic, pleasant, gracious, accommodating HC in CFB. They'll absolutely love him in Nebraska.

Michael Rose-Ivey @Rose_IveyNB15

Follow

Got a coach finally. Let's get to work. If this is our guy to get us over that hump then I'm all for it! Time to start a new chapter !!

Joel Klatt

@joelklatt

Follow

I'm a huge fan of Mike Riley...yes, he is a wonderful person...he is also a GREAT football coach

10:25 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Sam Ponder

@sam_ponder

Follow

LOVE that hire for Nebraska. Handful of coaches I'd want my kid to play for/learn from... Mike Riley's top 5 for sure.

9:46 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Doug Gottlieb

@GottliebShow

Follow

If you don't like Mike Riley, that is a you problem. Congrats #Nebraska between Riley&Tim Miles 2of the most liked/respected in their sports

Prince Amukamara

@PrinceAmukamara

Follow

Welcome to the Husker family Coach Mike Riley! Go Big Red!

Jay Moore @jaymoore44

Follow

Now I'm really liking this hire #Huskers #GBR

10:44 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Kirk Herbstreit

@KirkHerbstreit

Follow

If it's done...great hire by @Huskers getting Mike Riley from Oregon State!!

Dennis Dodd

@dennisdoddcbs

Follow

MIke Riley was always squeezing blood out of a tomato in Corvallis. More infrastructure at Neb. Love the hire.

9:54 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Mack Brown

@ESPN_CoachMack

Follow

Mike Riley is a great hire @ Neb. Super fit for both. Good job Huskers

• Fire 9

I really want to know who jmfb feels the top 10-15 coaches in the country are? We know Sabin and Meyer are 1 and 2, and from reading his stuff I think Rich Rod fits into his thought pattern. I bet we could throw Jimbo in there also. After that I am thinking Bryles, Patterson and most likely big game bob. That's 8 guys. Which of those 8 would be coming to Nebraska to coach? The next 7 I don't know about?

If all opinions are equal in value as you say- just go out and ask the old gal crossing the street or the kids hanging out at the corner market

If you have a medical question or something say on economics or physics, go ahead and ask them too. All opinions are equally valuable remember.

I know you're a coach yourself and I know that means something - honestly - but there appear to be a bunch of guys who know a lot about football at an even higher level, and the informed consensus was that Mike Riley was a smart hire for Nebraska:

Rivals.com national recruiting director Mike Farrell tweeted that the hiring is a "home run."

"I don't think Huskers fans realize what a well-respected game coach Riley is and how hard it is to win in Corvallis," Farrell wrote.

Gut feeling that Mike Riley will be the Tim Miles for our football program. Congrats coach and welcome to the program.

Only time will tell but my guess is Mike Riley will bring Nebraska back to national prominence.

Another interesting tidbit about Mike Riley is he opened all practices at Oregon State to media and fans.

Also the fact USC courted him in 2011, and Alabama offered him their job in 2002 intrigues me on what drew him to make this move now?

Amongst his peers, Mike Riley finished 2nd in an ESPN poll behind Cutcliffe as the most underrated coach in the country.

Good Hire by NU today.

Just landed to news of Mike Riley to Nebraska. Truly stunning — but that is a GREAT hire.

After hearing from many people who know Mike Riley personally I am optimistic about the future of @Huskers football.

Dan Hoppen ‏@danhoppen

Mike Riley was heavily rumored to replace Pete Carroll at USC in 2010, Dennis Franchione at Alabama in 2002. He must like NU’s prospects.

I may be in the minority here but I like the Riley hire for #Huskers better than the McElwain hire for #Gators. Thoughts?

I stand behind you @Coach_Riley ! I love Coach Bo and all my coaches, now it's a new era. I'm a husker through and through. #GBR

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer

"@CFBONFOX: NEWS: #Nebraska hires Oregon State's Mike Riley to replace Bo Pelini>>Good for Riley, one of the nicest guys I ever met in NFL

If Mike Riley offered my son or any kid I coach I would send them in a heartbeat this man is all about the kids & families #GBR #Nebraska

I liked this poll back in September because it was a vote of coaching peers -- and Mike Riley scored high on it http://es.pn/1Dc1ACC

Remember this when viewing Riley's record at OSU. MT @Hlas Oregon State had 28 straight losing football seasons, from '71 thru '98.

A few things that will be different:player development and pro off!! That alone I'm cool with! Chips in!#HuskerNation

Greg Sharpe ‏@SharpeGreg

Excited to meet and work with @Coach_Riley can't wait to begin the next chapter of Husker Football. GBR!

Brock Huard ‏@BrockESPN

No one in CFB I'd trust more with my son in his program than new NEB Coach Mike Riley. Judge this hire after you see the staff he assembles

#Huskers could double Riley's OSU salary and still be on budget with last year. Look for assistant salary pool to be strong.

Idk why everyone's being so negative, give the guy a chance. I mean he has a solid last name that should count for something. Let's get it!

Jon Nyatawa ‏@JonNyatawa

“He has done more with less at Oregon St than almost any coach I know" -- former NU AD Bill Byrne

#Pac12 assistant on Mike Riley: “Our recruiting jobs just got a lot easier. He was the best talent evaluator in the conference by far.”

danny woodhead

@danny__woodhead

Follow

Mike Riley was my coach at the hula bowl and thought he was a great guy #realexcitedaboutthehire

Follow

Paul Myerberg

@PaulMyerberg

Follow

Mike Riley is the most optimistic, pleasant, gracious, accommodating HC in CFB. They'll absolutely love him in Nebraska.

Follow

Got a coach finally. Let's get to work. If this is our guy to get us over that hump then I'm all for it! Time to start a new chapter !!

Joel Klatt

@joelklatt

Follow

I'm a huge fan of Mike Riley...yes, he is a wonderful person...he is also a GREAT football coach

Sam Ponder

@sam_ponder

Follow

LOVE that hire for Nebraska. Handful of coaches I'd want my kid to play for/learn from... Mike Riley's top 5 for sure.

Doug Gottlieb

@GottliebShow

Follow

If you don't like Mike Riley, that is a you problem. Congrats #Nebraska between Riley&Tim Miles 2of the most liked/respected in their sports

Prince Amukamara

@PrinceAmukamara

Follow

Jay Moore @jaymoore44

Follow

Kirk Herbstreit

@KirkHerbstreit

Follow

Dennis Dodd

@dennisdoddcbs

Follow

MIke Riley was always squeezing blood out of a tomato in Corvallis. More infrastructure at Neb. Love the hire.

Mack Brown

@ESPN_CoachMack

Follow

"All those guys you listed could fit their knowledge in a thimble" - jmfb

• Fire 3

Good Hire by NU today.

Dan Hoppen ‏@danhoppen

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer

Greg Sharpe ‏@SharpeGreg

Brock Huard ‏@BrockESPN

Jon Nyatawa ‏@JonNyatawa

danny woodhead

@danny__woodhead

Follow

Follow

Paul Myerberg

@PaulMyerberg

Follow

Follow

Joel Klatt

@joelklatt

Follow

Sam Ponder

@sam_ponder

Follow

Doug Gottlieb

@GottliebShow

Follow

Prince Amukamara

@PrinceAmukamara

Follow

Jay Moore @jaymoore44

Follow

Kirk Herbstreit

@KirkHerbstreit

Follow

Dennis Dodd

@dennisdoddcbs

Follow

Mack Brown

@ESPN_CoachMack

Follow

Welcoming a guy in or saying someone is a nice guy or has a solid last name is the same as saying he is a great hire?

Wow what a stretch,.

As to how hard it is to win in Corvallis. Interesting that a guy like Gary Anderson who turned Utah State around from nothing to an 11 win team only 6 points away from being 13-0 and a nice run at Wisconsin would bother going there if it was so bad/impossible to win there. Will be interesting if he can replicate the big success Dennis Erickson had after Riley left the first time.

Good Hire by NU today.

Dan Hoppen ‏@danhoppen

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer

Greg Sharpe ‏@SharpeGreg

Brock Huard ‏@BrockESPN

Jon Nyatawa ‏@JonNyatawa

danny woodhead

@danny__woodhead

Follow

Follow

Paul Myerberg

@PaulMyerberg

Follow

Follow

Joel Klatt

@joelklatt

Follow

Sam Ponder

@sam_ponder

Follow

Doug Gottlieb

@GottliebShow

Follow

Prince Amukamara

@PrinceAmukamara

Follow

Jay Moore @jaymoore44

Follow

Kirk Herbstreit

@KirkHerbstreit

Follow

Dennis Dodd

@dennisdoddcbs

Follow

Mack Brown

@ESPN_CoachMack

Follow

Welcoming a guy in or saying someone is a nice guy or has a solid last name is the same as saying he is a great hire?

Wow what a stretch,.

As to how hard it is to win in Corvallis. Interesting that a guy like Gary Anderson who turned Utah State around from nothing to an 11 win team only 6 points away from being 13-0 and a nice run at Wisconsin would bother going there if it was so bad/impossible to win there. Will be interesting if he can replicate the big success Dennis Erickson had after Riley left the first time.

So you are saying that Anderson is going to be great at OSU without him even coaching a game. But Riley has yet to make his debut and he is already a bad choice because he was ranked 41 on a meaningless poll?

Sound logic right there. And for the Record Anderson took that gig because he was tired of his situation in Wiscy, sounded like a toxic relationship. He wont be in Corvalis long.

Good Hire by NU today.

Dan Hoppen ‏@danhoppen

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer

Greg Sharpe ‏@SharpeGreg

Brock Huard ‏@BrockESPN

Jon Nyatawa ‏@JonNyatawa

danny woodhead

@danny__woodhead

Follow

Follow

Paul Myerberg

@PaulMyerberg

Follow

Follow

Joel Klatt

@joelklatt

Follow

Sam Ponder

@sam_ponder

Follow

Doug Gottlieb

@GottliebShow

Follow

Prince Amukamara

@PrinceAmukamara

Follow

Jay Moore @jaymoore44

Follow

Kirk Herbstreit

@KirkHerbstreit

Follow

Dennis Dodd

@dennisdoddcbs

Follow

Mack Brown

@ESPN_CoachMack

Follow

Wow what a stretch,.

So you are saying that Anderson is going to be great at OSU without him even coaching a game. But Riley has yet to make his debut and he is already a bad choice because he was ranked 41 on a meaningless poll?

Sound logic right there. And for the Record Anderson took that gig because he was tired of his situation in Wiscy, sounded like a toxic relationship. He wont be in Corvalis long.

You need to go back to school for reading comprehension

Me saying something is interesting is saying Anderson is going to do great?- wow you need to get out of moms basement/off the pipe/off the booze

Real shame that your didnt take the time to turn on Sesame Street while you were/are living down there- could have helped you in your reading comprehension

I will try to help

Interesting DOESNT mean the same as as "great"

Hope that helps

And telling someone: this is NOT a ringing endorsement.

Follow

This reminds me of last week, when you were confronted with a dozen things that countered your opinion and you only responded to a couple things that no one could possibly disagree with.

I didn't actually vet that list for 100% Ringing Endorsements, JMFB, I simply grabbed it off a post last December confirming that knowledgable football folk were more upbeat on the Riley hire than many of the hand-wringers on HuskerBoard.

And some of those were, in fact, ringing endorsements. Should we compare their resume to yours, since that seems to be the litmus test?

I didn't actually vet that list for 100% Ringing Endorsements, JMFB, I simply grabbed it off a post last December confirming that knowledgable football folk were more upbeat on the Riley hire than many of the hand-wringers on HuskerBoard.

There are plenty in Husker Nation- people from the program who are scratching their heads about the hire

Good old fashioned manners and welcoming Nebraska hospitality are what a lot of the comments are about

Most everyone is going to wish the guy well

Hard to dislike such a nice guy

Tom Lemming- OK- remember he ranked his good buddy Bill Callahans recruiting class #1 and later admitted he did so because he wanted to give his buddy a little help. Yeah I really respect his comments.