Player development and coaching philosophy

Nebraska was, without a doubt, to big of a gig for Bo with so much inexperience. LSU fans couldn't wait to get rid of him, even though he won a NCG as their DC. But just like here, it was a "His way, or no way" type of deal. There, even with the talent they had, he was giving up large amounts of yards and points, while doing it to teams who didn't rank in the final AP Poll. IMO, he only looked good on paper before he came here, because of how well the offenses were, where he was at during his assistant years. I am not going to lie, I was stoked to have him when he was first announced. I looked at his overall stats, and whatnot, and didn't read between the lines. A friend of mine, LSU fan, told me the day Bo got hired, "Glad you guys took him off our hands, but I am sorry to tell you, he won't do anything big there, besides be mediocre. He is lazy on the recruiting trail and his defensive system is flawed and is often exposed to mediocre teams." We saw all of this, and unfortunately, I told him he was crazy, and ate crow lol.

That's an interesting point, BRB. When Riley was hired, one of the journalists made the observation that whereas he (like Miles) had experienced failure at previous stops before, that was something Bo had never had to deal with in his fast ascension -- perhaps to his detriment. When there were bumps in the road at NU, Bo dug in and things got nasty.So I think that played a big part. But definitely he seemed at a loss as to how to get what he wanted out of the team to actually translate onto the field. At least in certain parts of the game.

Great news for Bo Pelini.

He is now starting all over in the place where he should've started from to begin with.

He got paid a boat load of money to be in HC in training here, and now he gets paid a boat load of money to continue that training somewhere else.

• Fire 1

That's an interesting point, BRB. When Riley was hired, one of the journalists made the observation that whereas he (like Miles) had experienced failure at previous stops before, that was something Bo had never had to deal with in his fast ascension -- perhaps to his detriment. When there were bumps in the road at NU, Bo dug in and things got nasty.So I think that played a big part. But definitely he seemed at a loss as to how to get what he wanted out of the team to actually translate onto the field. At least in certain parts of the game.

He is now starting all over in the place where he should've started from to begin with.

He got paid a boat load of money to be in HC in training here, and now he gets paid a boat load of money to continue that training somewhere else.

Hopefully, he actually listens and takes pointers from a damn good coach, in Tressel. Only way he improves, is if he stops being closed minded and starts to take advice.

Oh and he stops talking down fans and AD's lol.

What I never understood the entire time Bo was here was how he could do such an outstanding job of developing players he inherited from Clownahan but do such a poor job developing players he recruited into the system? Suh had the makings of a complete bust until Bo got here. The same can be said of other players. However, Bo just didn't do a very good job of developing a lot of the talent he brought into the program.

What I never understood the entire time Bo was here was how he could do such an outstanding job of developing players he inherited from Clownahan but do such a poor job developing players he recruited into the system? Suh had the makings of a complete bust until Bo got here. The same can be said of other players. However, Bo just didn't do a very good job of developing a lot of the talent he brought into the program.

He got high caliber players who's limits weren't even remotely touched under the old staff. While in his recruiting (no offense to the players), he was recruiting kids that couldn't/wouldn't improve. He has gotten a few that are higher caliber (not basing off star rating), and it has shown, but it goes back to his laziness on the recruiting road. Outside of Coach Fisher and Warren, who really excelled in recruiting? It seemed like Bo and some of our staff thought the program itself would be the selling point, while not showing how many kids in various positions they can get recognized to go to the next level. Had Garrison not gotten here when he did, I don't think our OL would have improved enough to even give Abdullah the exposure he got and well deserved. Same goes for Coach Kaz. These guys we have upfront on the defensive side, wouldn't be where they are at, without the recommended coaching changes. The two most improved spots on our team, and they come from guys Bo didn't originally bring in. Surprise, surprise.

He got high caliber players who's limits weren't even remotely touched under the old staff. While in his recruiting (no offense to the players), he was recruiting kids that couldn't/wouldn't improve. He has gotten a few that are higher caliber (not basing off star rating), and it has shown, but it goes back to his laziness on the recruiting road. Outside of Coach Fisher and Warren, who really excelled in recruiting? It seemed like Bo and some of our staff thought the program itself would be the selling point, while not showing how many kids in various positions they can get recognized to go to the next level. Had Garrison not gotten here when he did, I don't think our OL would have improved enough to even give Abdullah the exposure he got and well deserved. Same goes for Coach Kaz. These guys we have upfront on the defensive side, wouldn't be where they are at, without the recommended coaching changes. The two most improved spots on our team, and they come from guys Bo didn't originally bring in. Surprise, surprise.

I totally agree with this...that is what kind of worries me a bit if the Riley classes look very similar in ranking to the Bo classes.

Hopefully, he actually listens and takes pointers from a damn good coach, in Tressel. Only way he improves, is if he stops being closed minded and starts to take advice.

Oh and he stops talking down fans and AD's lol.

Did he actually listen to TO when he was here? I was excited about the hire if Bo and backed him until the final year with my buddies and on here. I just don't see him making the changes to be successful at a major school...way too stubborn!

I am really hoping MR will do a better job...I want to believe this, but I am a little hesitant until I start seeing the product on the field.

I totally agree with this...that is what kind of worries me a bit if the Riley classes look very similar in ranking to the Bo classes.

I think it is BS that everyone thinks that Callahan had such great classes and BP only did well with his recruits. Callahan recruited about 5 guys that really made a difference in what BP was doing. Number one on the list is Suh. He is a once in a generation player at DT. That one player changed the whole look of the defense with his play. Hegg and Prince A are 2 others. I am sure there are couple of others I am not counting guys like Crick, he was coming to Nebraska no matter what. Maybe Helu, Ganz.

What Suh really shows is how one really dominate player can change the complexity of a game and lift others up to new levels.

Suh looked rather pedestrian when coached by Clownahan and company. Without Bo, do you honestly believe he becomes a once in a generation player? I honestly do not. I agree with a lot of what you say, but I do not agree that Suh becomes a once in a generation player without the coaching change. Suh almost single handedly won us a lot of games, but I just don't believe it would have happened that way had Clownahan and company been at the helm another two years.

I thought the most interesting comment in this article is when Stai talks about running the 1's against the 1's. As I read it, because Bo was a defensive coach, and his scheme required a ton of technique, neither squad was able to fully practice the plays they were trying to implement. He gives the example of the zone read. It's hard to practice against the zone to prepare for a team like MSU when the defense isnt running plays that look like MSU's. As a result, both the offense and defense struggle to learn the concepts the coaches are trying to implement.

I thought the most interesting comment in this article is when Stai talks about running the 1's against the 1's. As I read it, because Bo was a defensive coach, and his scheme required a ton of technique, neither squad was able to fully practice the plays they were trying to implement. He gives the example of the zone read. It's hard to practice against the zone to prepare for a team like MSU when the defense isnt running plays that look like MSU's. As a result, both the offense and defense struggle to learn the concepts the coaches are trying to implement.

Your reading my thoughts.........That revelation was the biggest shocker to me in this article . Maybe that was why the offense was some what inconsistent in key games and prone to penalties and miscues. If so , then I have much more sympathy for coach Garrison. I really thought he was going to be a great line coach.