"Guys like myself, that's what we flock to."

Are we accounting for the 2 wins Abdullah gave us last year?

McNeese St (maybe) and ..... which other?

And are we accounting for never having to worry about losing to Minnesota with real coaches?

Miami

Yeah, I'm comfortable predicting a win over Minnesota. I'd even be so bold as to say we don't get blown out by Wisconsin.

We beat Wisc this year. Write it down

at what?

Corn production.

And Coaches Polo's that support our Bruce Jenner-ly man boobs.

Are we accounting for the 2 wins Abdullah gave us last year?

McNeese St (maybe) and ..... which other?

And are we accounting for never having to worry about losing to Minnesota with real coaches?

Miami

Yeah, I'm comfortable predicting a win over Minnesota. I'd even be so bold as to say we don't get blown out by Wisconsin.

We beat Wisc this year. Write it down

at what?

Corn production.

Spectator comportment.

But I don't get why so many won't even say we should be expected to win at least 9. For all the complaining about how easy it is that it's even mocked to bring up winning 9 games because basically a drunk monkey could coach the Huskers to 9 wins and now we have better coaches at every single position and they will actually develop the players and put them in much better positions to do well along with play the players that deserve to play .......... but we might only win 7. Doesn't add up.

Bingo.

Double bingo! It's not fair to have it both ways. You can't say how great this new coaching staff is but then freely admit that they might struggle to get seven or eight wins while at the same time saying any staff can get nine wins every year.

I am all for giving the new staff plenty of time, we gave Bo plenty of time and in reality he won at least nine games every year. There's no reason Riley can't do the same thing.

Triple duh from you.

8-4 is the vegas line on NU this year. If you think it will be different, make your prediction and support it with some reasons.

Mavric you use the non quantitative word "expectation" like it means something but it doesn't mean anything. It might mean 51% likely, it might mean 100%. I think you are confused about what others have said because you don't know yourself what a forecast is. A forecast is an educated guess (or a entirely unfounded stupid one) and in the case of season win totals would ALWAYS be properly described by a PROBABILITY DISTRIBUTION not by some meaningless word. Vegas has 8-4 as the PD tipping point but the actual distribution they know and it would be something like 28% 8-4, 24% 7-5, 23% 9-3 etc.

Since some here seem to not know why the Vegas line is 8-4, I'll tell you why. The schedule. The QB. The RB.

The Vegas opinion could shift quite bit after the Miami game AFTER seeing the REALITY of NU vs. the schedule and the actual performance of the players. If there are no material surprises after 3 games, the power rank will remain unchanged.

How great coaches are? Everybody (almost) knows this staff is an upgrade. However schedule, how the ball bounces, and the time it takes to improve player performances (including upgrades with new players) determine annual w/l. Improved staffs typically "really prove it" in the third year. If NU's 2017 is not a meaningful improvement in POWER RANK over the 25ish of the last staff, that will be time to consider why NU didn't get better.

POWER RANK....is THE metric people SHOULD use when considering how good a team is. Not W/L. Bowls. CCG's (in a freaking 14 TEAM Conference with Urban Meyer OSU in it, plus 3 other Kings and and 2-3 princes).

True. But as of right now Nebraska is favored in every single game except for Wisconsin and Michigan State. They are also -1s as of right now with Miami, or they were the other day.

teachercd....by what you have just said you have proven you don't understand the probability of a season total.

I'll give you one simple example that should be enough to teach you what you don't know.

12 game regular season.

Team NU is predicted by Vegas for all games now.

7 point favorite. EVERY. SINGLE. GAME!

What is NU's vegas win/loss prediction? I know you have no idea so I will tell you.

8.5 o/u.

I await your double down with ignorance reply (I just did a lil prop bet like forecast).

But I don't get why so many won't even say we should be expected to win at least 9. For all the complaining about how easy it is that it's even mocked to bring up winning 9 games because basically a drunk monkey could coach the Huskers to 9 wins and now we have better coaches at every single position and they will actually develop the players and put them in much better positions to do well along with play the players that deserve to play .......... but we might only win 7. Doesn't add up.

Bingo.

Double bingo! It's not fair to have it both ways. You can't say how great this new coaching staff is but then freely admit that they might struggle to get seven or eight wins while at the same time saying any staff can get nine wins every year.

I am all for giving the new staff plenty of time, we gave Bo plenty of time and in reality he won at least nine games every year. There's no reason Riley can't do the same thing.

Triple duh from you.

8-4 is the vegas line on NU this year. If you think it will be different, make your prediction and support it with some reasons.

Mavric you use the non quantitative word "expectation" like it means something but it doesn't mean anything. It might mean 51% likely, it might mean 100%. I think you are confused about what others have said because you don't know yourself what a forecast is. A forecast is an educated guess (or a entirely unfounded stupid one) and in the case of season win totals would ALWAYS be properly described by a PROBABILITY DISTRIBUTION not by some meaningless word. Vegas has 8-4 as the PD tipping point but the actual distribution they know and it would be something like 28% 8-4, 24% 7-5, 23% 9-3 etc.

Since some here seem to not know why the Vegas line is 8-4, I'll tell you why. The schedule. The QB. The RB.

The Vegas opinion could shift quite bit after the Miami game AFTER seeing the REALITY of NU vs. the schedule and the actual performance of the players. If there are no material surprises after 3 games, the power rank will remain unchanged.

How great coaches are? Everybody (almost) knows this staff is an upgrade. However schedule, how the ball bounces, and the time it takes to improve player performances (including upgrades with new players) determine annual w/l. Improved staffs typically "really prove it" in the third year. If NU's 2017 is not a meaningful improvement in POWER RANK over the 25ish of the last staff, that will be time to consider why NU didn't get better.

POWER RANK....is THE metric people SHOULD use when considering how good a team is. Not W/L. Bowls. CCG's (in a freaking 14 TEAM Conference with Urban Meyer OSU in it, plus 3 other Kings and and 2-3 princes).

Well, that's a lot of ..... stuff. A certain phrase comes to mind: baffle them with ..... nevermind.

I'm talking about the "expectations" of the people on this board. That doesn't require four paragraphs worth of explanation. That requires reading the threads to see what people are saying. I'm well aware of what the Vegas line is. I would jump on the over if I was a betting man. I can see a push but I "expect" the over. I would be surprised with 7 (or fewer) wins. That doesn't mean it can't happen. That means I definitely do not "expect" it to happen. And I'm surprised at how many posters consider 7 a very real possibility - especially with the amount of praise being heaped on the new staff and how many like to put all of the blame for "only" winning 9 games every year on the old staff.

• Fire 1

And I'm surprised at how many posters consider 7 a very real possibility

You guys are really strange. You spend the entire time talking about expecations, and then think it's weird when other people talk about possibilities, which aren't at all the same thing? You literally admitted in your own post that 7 wins is a possibility.

• Fire 2

Bingo.

Triple duh from you.

Well, that's a lot of ..... stuff. A certain phrase comes to mind: baffle them with ..... nevermind.

I'm talking about the "expectations" of the people on this board. That doesn't require four paragraphs worth of explanation. That requires reading the threads to see what people are saying. I'm well aware of what the Vegas line is. I would jump on the over if I was a betting man. I can see a push but I "expect" the over. I would be surprised with 7 (or fewer) wins. That doesn't mean it can't happen. That means I definitely do not "expect" it to happen. And I'm surprised at how many posters consider 7 a very real possibility - especially with the amount of praise being heaped on the new staff and how many like to put all of the blame for "only" winning 9 games every year on the old staff.

I feel like I remind you and a few others of this quite often:

It wasn't the nine wins that was the issue, the problem was the 4 losses and the way the team tended to lose them.

• Fire 1

And I'm surprised at how many posters consider 7 a very real possibility

You guys are really strange. You spend the entire time talking about expecations, and then think it's weird when other people talk about possibilities, which aren't at all the same thing? You literally admitted in your own post that 7 wins is a possibility.

I realize they aren't the same thing. There is definitely a difference between the two - which I also noted in my post. But many people are talking about 7-8 wins as what they are expecting this year. They aren't talking about it simply as a possibility.

Bingo.

Triple duh from you.

It wasn't the nine wins that was the issue, the problem was the 4 losses and the way the team tended to lose them.

I don't disagree.

What does that have to do with winning those same 9 games this year?

I realize they aren't the same thing. There is definitely a difference between the two - which I also noted in my post. But many people are talking about 7-8 wins as what they are expecting this year. They aren't talking about it simply as a possibility.

Then why didn't you say that?

I have not seen a single person, except the perpetual pessimists, say that they expect us to win 7 games.

Bingo.

Triple duh from you.

I don't disagree.

What does that have to do with winning those same 9 games this year?

What is the same about them? Other than this infatuation with slapping a number on it, what is the same?

Then why didn't you say that?

I have not seen a single person, except the perpetual pessimists, say that they expect us to win 7 games.

Well yeah, that's how straw man arguments work.
  • Fire 1