Camping Out: Wide Receivers and Tight Ends

Among the tight ends, it'd be good to see Cethan Carter finish camp strong. He's been fine, but you'd like that slow burn to kick over into full engagement and a dominating day of practice. Behind him, tight ends David Sutton, Sam Cotton and H-backs Trey Foster and Luke McNitt all appear in line for playing time. McNitt and Foster have the best hands of that quartet, and they seem to be open more.

Back to Carter. It's time. Nebraska's wide receiver situation is unstable enough that he can be a clear top option. Let's see if he asserts that vocally, with body language, etc.

OWH

For much of Saturday’s scrimmage, junior tight end Cethan Carter worked with the No. 2 and No. 3 offenses while junior Trey Foster — who was just put on scholarship — was working with the top unit.

Riley said Carter hasn’t been demoted. Rather, the top quartet of tight ends — David Sutton, Sam Cotton, Foster and Carter — are closely bunched on the depth chart.
“That group is pretty interchangeable, and I think that (Carter) will be in that mix,” Riley said. “I think we would like to play multiple tight ends. We’ll play two at a time quite a bit. There’s a first-string and a second-string, and they’re all pretty close, really.”

OWH

Trey Foster getting quite a few reps with the 1s.

Ahead of Carter?

I think there are some issues with Carter's blocking that has the coaches frustrated. That is causing Foster and Sutton to get more reps on the top unit.

I hadn't seen any specific reasons but there definitely seems to be something off with Carter. He sure seems like he should be head and shoulders above all the others but Riley said he was "in the mix" with the other guys.