Barry's Contract

I am up in the air on whether or not I "want" this to happen or not.....

KC and I talk a bit, and we are constantly changing our mind on this topic...

This is MY OPINION:

Collier will retain his contract and this is why: Nebraska is happy being a football school with baseball and volleyball being the other sports bringing in revenue.... Becuase baseball is becoming so big in Lincoln, I believe EVERYONE, including the Athletic department is looking at basketball as just something to pass the time between the 2 big seasons.

Because of this, they will not spend the money to buy Barry out... all money right now is directed to fb... IMO, as long as Collier doesn't "embarrass" UNL drastically (by winning less than 10 games), he will be safe until his contract is up...

I may be completely off of my rocker, but this is my opinion at this time... now after the tourney, and Collier is gone, I will say " thats what i thought" :lol:

I wouldn't go as far as saying nebraska is happy being a football school with baseball/volleyball behind them...well yeah actually you could probably say that, but the issue, I think, is with the fans...we are all worn out and tired of the basketball displayed every year with collier leading the way...it has gone on too long, IMO.

I wouldn't go as far as saying nebraska is happy being a football school with baseball/volleyball behind them...well yeah actually you could probably say that, but the issue, I think, is with the fans...we are all worn out and tired of the basketball displayed every year with collier leading the way...it has gone on too long, IMO.

I agree with you Kansas..... I am just saying that my post is how I believe that the "guys in charge" feel.... not the fans....

I would love to see NU in the NCAA year after year, but I just sense that Basketball isn't the priority (or even in the top 3) right now.

I would list Football, Baseball, Volleyball definately ahead right now... In fact, track and wrestling spark almost as much fan interest...

To me, the university feels that as long as basketball just doesn't create controversy, it will be okay.....

* I would venture a guess that tomorrow's home opener at Haymarket on a friday at 2:00 may draw comparibly to most home basketball games.

now the latest I have heard is that on 610 radio, which is kansas city sports talk or something like that (you probably know kchusker)...anwyays on there, someone said that the buyout of collier's contract had been confirmed and that it would be announced after we lose in the big 12 tournament...

This is MY OPINION:

Collier will retain his contract and this is why: Nebraska is happy being a football school with baseball and volleyball being the other sports bringing in revenue.... Becuase baseball is becoming so big in Lincoln, I believe EVERYONE, including the Athletic department is looking at basketball as just something to pass the time between the 2 big seasons.

Because of this, they will not spend the money to buy Barry out... all money right now is directed to fb... IMO, as long as Collier doesn't "embarrass" UNL drastically (by winning less than 10 games), he will be safe until his contract is up...

I may be completely off of my rocker, but this is my opinion at this time... now after the tourney, and Collier is gone, I will say " thats what i thought" :lol:

Here's why this might not work. Pederson and the other administarters know the type of money that a good mens basketball team can bring in. For them to merely say, "Well, basketball will simply never be as good," will not fly and shouldn't. These are buisness men, who are in the buisness of making money and if there not they should fide something else. Basketball is a huge moneymaker, they simply cannot put everything into it. After they make basketball successful, they will move onto the next sport.

This is MY OPINION:

Collier will retain his contract and this is why:  Nebraska is happy being a football school with baseball and volleyball being the other sports bringing in revenue.... Becuase baseball is becoming so big in Lincoln, I believe EVERYONE, including the Athletic department is looking at basketball as just something to pass the time between the 2 big seasons.

Because of this, they will not spend the money to buy Barry out... all money right now is directed to fb...  IMO, as long as Collier doesn't "embarrass" UNL drastically (by winning less than 10 games), he will be safe until his contract is up...

Here's why this might not work. Pederson and the other administarters know the type of money that a good mens basketball team can bring in. For them to merely say, "Well, basketball will simply never be as good," will not fly and shouldn't. These are buisness men, who are in the buisness of making money and if there not they should fide something else. Basketball is a huge moneymaker, they simply cannot put everything into it. After they make basketball successful, they will move onto the next sport.

:yeah

I totally agree, they shouldn't just be happy with the sports we have that are successful. If i am not mistaken, mens b-ball and football are the only money making sports at UNL. I don't know why volleyball isn't on the list, but this drop in attendance (at bball games) needs to be addressed. They know the fans are tired of hovering at .500 and losing in the first round (ya finally got one collier!). I just think its too little too late.

I agree with all assessments so far...... I personally think it needs to be addressed..... and after watching last night's game, I feel as if maybe Barry might be gone ! He just had the "look" of a lame duck coach.....

We will soon find out.....