Charting Our Offense - BYU

Mavric

Feel free to ignore this thread if you want.

Just wanting to get a feel for what we were - or weren't - doing on offense. And I thought I'd bore you with my thoughts.

First Drive - 11:57 1st Quarter

1&10, -12 yard line - Ace Wing set, Jet Sweep motion - Fake the sweep, straight dive to Newby. Not much of a hole but Newby squeezes through only to get tackled by the 8th guy in the box. Gain of three. I'm guessing BYU loading the box has a lot to do with our struggles running the ball. We had seven to block eight that play.

2&7, -15 - Shotgun spread set, doubles right - Straight drop, double curl routes. TA hits and open Hovey for 11 yards and a first down

1&10, -26 - Shotgun Ace Trips left - WR screen to Moore for 7 yards

2&3, -33 - Spread wing left, jet motion left - Jet sweep to Moore for 13 yards

1&10, -46 - Shotgun doubles both sides, motion to trips right - Play-action rollout right. TA hits Westy on the deep out for 18 yards.

1&10, +36 - Shotgun trips left - Play-action TA hits Westy on the deep cross for 21 yards

1&10, +15 - Shotgun TE Trips left - BYU blitzes OLB and CB, TA scrambles for 1 yard

2&9, +14 - Shotgun trips left - Fake WR screen left, RB screen right but TA overthrows Newby

3&9, +14 - Shotgun trips left - WR screen left that BYU has sniffed out but a great play by Westy - and block by TA - turn it into a TD

9 plays, 88 yards. 2 called runs for 16 yards, 7 called passes (counting a scramble) for 72 yards and the TD.

Pass heavy to start but it was mostly short, easy throws. Protection was fairly good on the longer throws except when they blitzed more than we could block.

• Fire 3

Second Possession - 7:14 1st Quarter

1&10, -11 - Offset I right, jet motion left - Fake the sweep, give to Newby on Power left. This was actually blocked really well but Newby was late and didn't get cut back to the left enough (pic below).

2&10, -11 - Substitution infraction

2&15, -6 - Shotgun doubles - Straight drop, TA hits Westy on the deep out for 18. Pass was late but placed high - good catch by Westy

1&10, -24 - Trips right - Give to Newby right for 4. Decent push by the line but didn't get a seam to break free

2&6, -28 - Pro I right - Play-action bootleg right, two man route. TA probably could have run, should have thrown it away and eventually got intentional grounding

3&14, -20 - Shotgun doubles - WR screen to Riley for 12

4&2, -32 - Punt

5 plays, 21 yards. 2 runs for 4 yards, 2 passes for 30 yards, 2 penalties for 13 yards. Intentional grounding killed the drive.

WR1zl9.jpg

• Fire 2

Third Possession - 2:50 1st Quarter

1&10, -35 - Pistol, TE, FB left - Outside zone left. Wilbon dances too much but still gets five.

2&5, -40 - Doubles bunched left, jet motion left - Inside zone. Wilbon get about 5 yards before contact, seven total

1&10, -47 - Ace - Zone run right. Cross never has a chance. Both Reeves and Lewis were asked to reach block defenders who were shaded to gapped toward the play. Very tough blocks. (pic below).

2&12, -45 - Shotgun spread left - Slip screen right to Wilbon. Almost dances too much but finds a crease for 14 yards

1&10, +41 - Shotgun TE,WB right - WR screen left. Read well by BYU. Couldn't tell if Turner dropped it or BYU tipped it

2&10, +41 - Shotgun, Two RB - Play-action, TA hits Moore on the deep out. Great diving catch by Moore.

1&10, +22 - Shotgun doubles - WR screen to Moore for a TD. Moore probably could have been flagged for not being on the line.

7 plays, 65 yards. 3 runs for 10 yards, 4 passes for 55 yards. Pretty clean drive but for the one play.

Ci2CiB.jpg

• Fire 2

Fourth Possession - 13:13 2nd Quarter

1&10, -25 - Shotgun doubles - Straight drop, TA tries to fit it in to Westy between three defenders (Reilly ended up in the same spot), incomplete.

2&10, -25 - Doubles TE,WB right, jet motion right - Jet sweep to Moore for 10 yards

1&10, -35 - False start on Hovey

1&15, -30 - Pistol FB, TE right - Outside zone right. Well blocked but BYU strings it out and holds Wilbon to three yards

2&12, -33 - Shotgun trips right - Straight drop, TA misses an open Reilly on the out

3&13, -33 - Shotgun doubles, motion to trips right - Straight drop, TA drops a dime to Reilly on the deep out for 16 yards

1&10, -49 - Shotgun doubles TE,WB right - WR screen to Moore but TA misses him

2&10, -49 - False start on Lewis

2&15, -44 - Shotgun doubles - Straight drop, TA misses Sutton who is injured

3&15, -44 - Shotgun trips left - Middle screen to Newby but they can't connect

8 plays, 19 yards. 2 runs for 13 yards, 6 passes for 6 yards. Penalties hurt but we had chances to overcome them but missed.

• Fire 2

Fifth Possession - 5:42 2nd Quarter

1&10, -25 - Pro I left, Jet motion right - Fake sweep, Zone run left. Lewis doesn't hold his block but there isn't much room against an eight man box.

2&8, -27 - Shotgun TE trips right - Zone read look, fumbled. Snap wasn't great then TA doesn't get the mesh point.

• Fire 1

Sixth Possession - 3:48 2nd Quarter

1&10, -25 - Trips right, jet motion left - TA misses an open West but got hit as he was throwing. Utter couldn't handle his guy.

2&10, -25 - Offset I left, jet motion right - Fake sweep, middle screen to Wilbon for 11 but called back by a legit illegal formation.

2&15, -20 - Shotgun doubles, motion to trips left - Middle screen to Newby is sniffed out and TA throws it away

3&15, -20 - Pro I left - Play-action. We miss picking up the stunt on the blitz and TA gets intentional grounding

4&29, -6 - Punt

This is the first possession that I thought the Line really struggled. A missed block and a penalty and things snowballed from there.

• Fire 2

Seventh Possession - 1:38 2nd Quarter

1&10, -32 - Shotgun TE Trips right - Straight drop, TA tries to force it to a double-covered Westy

2&10, -32 - Shotgun doubles, motion to trips left - Designed roll left but we miss the twist on the blitz and TA is sacked

3&13, -29 - Shotgun trips right - Straight drop, TA scrambles for 15 yards

1&10, -44 - Shotgun doubles motion to trips right - Straight drop, TA pressured and throws off his back foot, missing a wide open Westy

2&10, -44 - Shotgun doubles - Kondolo misses again and TA has to get rid of it.

3&10, -44 - Shotgun doubles - TA hits Turner on the out for 17 yards

1&10, +39 - Shotgun doubles - TA has time but can't find anyone and scrambles for 4 yards

2&6, +33 - Shotgun doubles - TA hits Westy for 10 yards

1&10, +23 - Shotgun doubles - TA throws behind Hovey

2&10, +23 - Shotgun TE trips right - Hovey is open in the end zone but an underthrown ball gives BYU time to recover and knock it away.

3&10, +23 - Missed FG

HALF

10 plays, 65 yards.

• Fire 2

General impressions of the first half:

OLine did pretty well for the first three possessions then struggled. Wonder about them getting tired.

TA still throwing off his back foot a lot - had to a couple times but had good time to throw for the most part.

Running backs weren't helping the OLine much - need to be more decisive and hit the holes harder

We're not very creative in our running game. Pretty much run jet sweep and zone. When zone is you main running play and you don't have a numbers advantage, you don't have much room for error.

That's it for tonight. Perhaps the second half tomorrow.

• Fire 2

Thanks for the write-up. Despite a few hiccups, it looked pretty good. As the year goes on a lot of those hiccups will be ironed out and the offense will get better. My biggest gripe with the running game is that the RBs need to be more decisive. Make that cut and accelerate through the hole. Better to get 4 or 5 yards than to dance around looking for a home run and get stopped for a short gain or a loss.

• Fire 2

This is great stuff, Mavric. Thank you for the time and effort you put into it. I have reviewed the game several times and agree with a lot of what you had to say. Always interesting to share actual football talk (formations, x's and o's, assignments, etc.) with other fans. Please keep the posts coming!

Two things on the running game that I agree with and have been mentioned.

1) We have got to get more creative with it. I believe we will. For good reason, the coaches keyed on the passing game in practice before this season. Now, they need to balance that out and give our guys (O line) a better chance at success by being creative and mixing it up more.

2) I like the run game from under center much better than out of shot gun. It allows the RB to get to the line faster and hit the hole with a head of steam. In the shot gun, he has to stand there and wait for the ball before he can take off. The jet sweep also works much better from under center.

So, right now, from under center they have an RB up the middle or the jet sweep. That allows the defense to basically only have to defend half the field. What they need to do moving forward is develop a mis direction play out of that so the LBs and safeties can't just flow to the jet sweep. If they ran something like this, I missed it.