Charting Our Offense - BYU

Mavric

Really interesting to me that we didn't see any kind of zone read/option plays.

Severe tweeted after the botched zone read resulted in the fumble that in the practices he saw, the spacing of the QB and RB looked off on zone reads. That is very troubling, if Riley wants to use some zone read. If Riley doesn't know how to coach the zone read, how is he going to have confidence in calling it/running it.

Twelfth Possession - 14:00 4th Quarter

1&10, -31 - Offset I right, jet motion - Fake sweep, Cross on the inside zone. Kondolo falls down into Reeves knocking him down and Reeves guy makes the tackle

2&6, -35 - Shotgun spread right - WR screen to Reilly for 5

3&1, -40 - Spread right - QB sneak goes nowhere. So both the plays we ran at the end of the game had failed miserably earlier in the half.

4&1, -40 - Punt

3 plays, 9 yards. 2 runs, 4 yards, 1 pass, 5 yards.

Pretty much shot ourselves in the foot again.

• Fire 1

Thirteenth Possession - 7:51 4th Quarter

1&10, -28 - Shotgun FB, HB left - Inside zone. Not much of a hole running into an eight man box but Newby hesitates and gets tripped up as he crosses the line

2&7, -31 - Shotgun TE trips left - Straight drop, TA hits Hovey on the curl for 6

3&1, -37 - Offset I right, TE motion left - Lead zone to Newby, Reeves and Utter confused on who picks up blitzing LB and Newby stopped before he gets started.

4&4 ,-34 - Punt

3 plays, 6 yards. 2 runs, 0 yards, 1 pass, 6 yards.

All of the sudden we're not very creative running the ball again. Last two possessions have been straight zone plays (plus QB sneak) out of tight formations. Not a lot of running room straight ahead against 7 or 8 guys in the box.

• Fire 1

Fourteenth Possession - 4:22 4th quarter

1&10, -30 - Offset I left, jet motion - fake sweep, Cross on the inside zone for 14

1&10, -44 - Shotgun doubles - Zone read, TA probably should have kept as the read defender made the tackle for no gain

2&10, -44 - Shotgun doubles - Fake WR screen and TA hits Reilly deep for 27

1&10, +29 - Offset I right, jet motion - fake sweep, Cross on the inside zone. Not much room against an 8 man box - there looked to be a little hole straight ahead but Cross bounced outside.

2&8, +27 - Shotgun TE trips left - Inside zone to Wilbon for 5

3&3, +22 - Offset I right, jet motion - Jet sweep to Turner. This play had no chance. Four defenders outside our tackle - two guys to block. Into the short side of the field Should have called timeout and tried something different.

4&5, +24 - Missed FG

6 plays, 46 yards.

The one creative play we ran went for a big gain. Very conservative play calling on the last three drives. Basically just running it into the line.

• Fire 1

Why do you think coaching staffs don't allow Tommy to run traditional option plays more? It seems to me that he does a pretty dang good job running them. The one he ran this game was awesome. I think he is more natural running that type of option than a read option.

It sounds like QB depth is really shaky. Hopefully it's a much better situation by next year, or maybe even by midseason, but that's optimistic. Really, not running the QB won't stop him from getting hit and injured either. It's a risk to manage.

IIRC, Langs recently said that they are trying to "limit" his hits. I would guess this hit factor is based upon designed QB runs, option/zone read and unfortunately getting sacked and knocked down..... My hope would be as the OL improves, Tommy is given more freedom to run. Lower his sacks/knock downs and runs increases. Its eerily like the way Bo managed Martinez with no "reliable" depth....

Final thoughts:

Really, we played pretty well in the first half. We mainly killed ourselves. The first four drives we moved the ball well - two TDs and the other two drives killed by penalties. Then we fumbled followed by the only other really bad possession. But we moved the ball again right before the half.

First possession of the second half was pretty bad but then we scored TDs on the next two. The next possession was wasn't good. Then the last three we basically went into a shell save the one deep pass to Reilly, which was a great call. Sure looked to be playing not to lose at that point.

Why do you think coaching staffs don't allow Tommy to run traditional option plays more? It seems to me that he does a pretty dang good job running them. The one he ran this game was awesome. I think he is more natural running that type of option than a read option.

It sounds like QB depth is really shaky. Hopefully it's a much better situation by next year, or maybe even by midseason, but that's optimistic. Really, not running the QB won't stop him from getting hit and injured either. It's a risk to manage.

IIRC, Langs recently said that they are trying to "limit" his hits. I would guess this hit factor is based upon designed QB runs, option/zone read and unfortunately getting sacked and knocked down..... My hope would be as the OL improves, Tommy is given more freedom to run. Lower his sacks/knock downs and runs increases. Its eerily like the way Bo managed Martinez with no "reliable" depth....

OK....this is something that I scratch my head about.

I know college football coaches know way more about football than I do. They live in it every day.

However, my belief has always been that a running QB doesn't necessarily get injured more than a pocket passing QB.

Thinking back to all the option QBs we have had. How many got hurt actually during a designed QB run?

Tommie Frazier had health issues not related to him running the option.

Brook Berringer had a lung issue the same year that may have been caused by him running the ball.

Taylor martinez injured his foot. I can picture the tackle in my head but I can't remember if it was on a pass play or running play. I know it was behind the LOS.

Any others?

Now, think of all the QBs you know that got injured standing in the pocket, standing tall, unprotected and get leveled trying to pass the ball.

1&10, -34 - Doubles - Jet sweep to Turner. BYU reads it well and there are simply too many defenders to block. Makes the late Jet Sweep to Turner look that much worse.

3&1, -40 - Spread right - QB sneak goes nowhere. So both the plays we ran at the end of the game had failed miserably earlier in the half.

3&3, +22 - Offset I right, jet motion - Jet sweep to Turner. This play had no chance. Four defenders outside our tackle - two guys to block. Into the short side of the field Should have called timeout and tried something different.

:dunno