Athlon: Open letter to the concerned Nebraska fan

zoogs

I think Riley is going to win over a lot of fans in the next few years, but on the field results are the only thing that will do it. People that are on the fence about him or think he's Callahan 2.0 won't be convinced otherwise and that's OK.

3 games in and we've lost to the two top 35 (they may be better) type teams that we've played. We didn't beat any top 35 teams a year ago in year 7 of the Pelini era. 0-4. So it shouldn't be that surprising that we aren't instantly better 3 games into the Riley era.

• Fire 1

Nothing frustrates me more than when people say Riley is "Callahan 2.0". About the only thing the two have in common is they run a pro style offense. Riley is embracing the tradition at Nebraska. He's allowing former players to help in practice, he gave out the blackshirts before the season started so we could avoid the "when will Bo give out the blackshirts talk?" throughout the season, and heck he's allowing Boyd Epley to help in the training room! I believe Sipple wrote an article before the season about Dantonio and Michigan State, and how just a couple years ago they were a 6-6 team, that we need to be patient.

And to anyone who says "You hire a .500 coach, you're going to be .500", you're being completely naive. It's been said time and time again Oregon State and Nebraska are two completely different programs, but apparently that doesn't mean anything to some people so let's use other examples. Can you imagine if a coach was consistently .500 or better at schools like Purdue, Iowa State, and Kentucky? They would be celebrated as the next up and coming coach. That's what Mike Riley did at Oregon State.

Being a Chargers fan, me as much as anyone should be pessimistic about Riley, this is the 2nd time he's coached one of my teams. But I'm not because I'm able to see that this guy can coach as good as anyone. He's not Bill Callahan, not even close. I truly believe that Mike Riley and his staff are going to do great things here at Nebraska, and when his time here is done, we're going to be on a better path than we were before he came here.

I think it is a combination of WCO and an historically bad DC who is a buddy that causes the Callahan 2.0 comments.

[snip]

- Replaces a 9-3 coach winning over 70% of his games with no losing seasons at the only school that ever fired a 9-3 coach Stop.

- Breaks multiple long time record winning streaks Stop. Since the turn of the century, BYU is probably the toughest team we've faced to start the season. Riley keeps the "vaunted" winning streak going if we play South Alabama (much like Bo, Bill, and Frank did) first and BYU second. We also don't schedule 2 teams who could clearly beat us early in the year. It's always been: crap school, crap school, tough game, crap school, conference play. You come off as a fool if you don't acknowledge that pretty important bit of information.

- Starts a dual threat QB built to run the previous system Stop. What the hell else is Mike Riley supposed to do? Not start a guy who has started the last two years for the team in favor of someone who has never started? Really?!

- Has fans vocally blaming woes on a bare cupboard Stop. The team has talent, but it doesn't have depth, which once again can't be put pinned to Mike Riley. You need depth to win a lot of games, just look at Alabama, Michigan State, Ohio State; all those schools has depth. Nebraska doesn't. What's nice though, is that Nebraska will essentially return everyone next year, which means that we have a tremendous opportunity to build depth this year. That's exciting, most schools going through a coaching change don't have that luxury.

- Has lifetime winning percentage between .480 and .520 Stop. Anyone who continues to purport this fact as an argument must be the same people who think building a wall is going to stop our drug problem. Rarely is anything the cause of a single factor (i.e., coaching ability in this case). Here are the past records of the last 50 years of OSU coaches: Dee Andros 44-64 (.407), Craig Fertig 8-36 (.182), Joe Avezzano, 6-47 (.113), Dave Kragthorpe 16-48 (.250), Jerry Pettibone, 13-52 (.200), Mike Riley I 8-14 (.363) Dennis Erickson 31-17 (.646), Mike Riley II 75-66 (.532). Yes, even the great Dennis Erickson--who won national championships at Miami, couldn't replicate the same thing at Oregon State. Why do you think that is? He's obviously a national championship winning coach, so why didn't he win a national title at Oregon State?

--Winless when trailing at halftime Stop. Obviously, Mike Riley has won games when trailing at halftime. He hasn't done it while he's been here yet, but the guy has coached 3 games. It's dense to think that, it must be set in stone that we'll never win when trailing at the half just because it's happened after 3 games. For the longest time under Bo, Nebraska was undefeated when rushing for over x yards, and if that stat would've held--like you must think it does--we would've won a lot more games than we actually did.

You didn't really dispute any of the facts I posted. They ARE similarities.

But wasn't South Carolina horrible and didn't SS lead them to their only 10 win seasons or something like that? With a few top 5 rankings during the seasons and some high ranked recruiting classes?

Saban took over a pretty bad LSU team and won a title.

Look, Riley will get it done at NU, there is no doubt. But the comparisons seem odd.

And now Spurrier is back yo only winning 7 games.

OSU was pathetically horrible before Rilry and he took them to their first 10 win season.

No, Dennis Erickson took them to their first 10 win season in 2000. Then went on and won a BCS bowl.

• Fire 1

But wasn't South Carolina horrible and didn't SS lead them to their only 10 win seasons or something like that? With a few top 5 rankings during the seasons and some high ranked recruiting classes?

Look, Riley will get it done at NU, there is no doubt. But the comparisons seem odd.

OSU was pathetically horrible before Rilry and he took them to their first 10 win season.

You don't have to tell me! I am Pro-Riley!!!!
Good!!!
I guess you could argue that it also shows how hard it is to win 9-10 games each year

True

No, Dennis Erickson took them to their first 10 win season in 2000. Then went on and won a BCS bowl.

I stand corrected.

Point being made is still the same.

You know those Husker fans at games that completely make a fool out of themselves because they are yelling ridiculous things that make no sense and show a total lack of knowledge for what they are talking about...I think I have found one in this thread.

If I had to guess I'd say Redneck is the same person that last year was screaming from Row 88 at Pelini to fire Papuchis, for Defensive adjustments to be made, and for Stanton to come in at QB.

Do those people losing their minds understand that we are 3 games into the season, not 3 years? Do they also understand that when change happens not everything transitions perfectly? Do they understand that under the circumstances Mike Riley is doing a heck of a job guiding young men through a difficult time while still teaching them how to play good football. In 3 games I can honestly say I'm proud to have someone as experienced and talented as Coach Riley leading our football program. I can honestly say being at the Miami game was one of my favorite games I've been to. It tops NW Hail Mary because honestly that game featured terrible football. That type of football is going to be few and far between here under Riley, and that wasn't more evident in the way the team responded after just about everything went wrong in the first half. I saw young men being taught the right things and turning a corner.

Is it all about wins? We seem to look back fondly on past eras like we were undefeated for 25 straight years under TO. For those with an understood outlook on this season they know that it is about so much more

• Fire 2

You know those Husker fans at games that completely make a fool out of themselves because they are yelling ridiculous things that make no sense and show a total lack of knowledge for what they are talking about...I think I have found one in this thread.

If I had to guess I'd say Redneck is the same person that last year was screaming from Row 88 at Pelini to fire Papuchis, for Defensive adjustments to be made, and for Stanton to come in at QB.

Do those people losing their minds understand that we are 3 games into the season, not 3 years? Do they also understand that when change happens not everything transitions perfectly? Do they understand that under the circumstances Mike Riley is doing a heck of a job guiding young men through a difficult time while still teaching them how to play good football. In 3 games I can honestly say I'm proud to have someone as experienced and talented as Coach Riley leading our football program. I can honestly say being at the Miami game was one of my favorite games I've been to. It tops NW Hail Mary because honestly that game featured terrible football. That type of football is going to be few and far between here under Riley, and that wasn't more evident in the way the team responded after just about everything went wrong in the first half. I saw young men being taught the right things and turning a corner.

Is it all about wins? We seem to look back fondly on past eras like we were undefeated for 25 straight years under TO. For those with an understood outlook on this season they know that it is about so much more

:dunno What exactly did I say that set you off? Oh wait, I bet it's not what I said, but what I am thinking. Cuz I bet you know exactly what I think about Husker football, amirite?

:dunno What exactly did I say that set you off? Oh wait, I bet it's not what I said, but what I am thinking. Cuz I bet you know exactly what I think about Husker football, amirite?

Not difficult at all

• Fire 1

Just like Bo knew he hated Eichorst the minute he was hired.

Since Eichorst replaced TO, whom Pelini had an excellent relationship with......yeah, I'd say the Eichorst hire wasn't his favorite thing.

You get wood every time you get the chance to point out that Osborne was a Pelini supporter. Oh yes you do.

• Fire 1

i find the Riley hate extremely ironic. they all knew the minute he was hired that they hated Riley. Just like Bo knew he hated Eichorst the minute he was hired.

Since Eichorst replaced TO, whom Pelini had an excellent relationship with......yeah, I'd say the Eichorst hire wasn't his favorite thing.

and since you had a excellent relationship with Bo you knew you would instantly hate his replacement.

i find the Riley hate extremely ironic. they all knew the minute he was hired that they hated Riley. Just like Bo knew he hated Eichorst the minute he was hired.

and since you had a excellent relationship with Bo you knew you would instantly hate his replacement.

Well, I didn't have to "Google" him, like a certain percentage of Husker nation did.....but I read his accomplishments, or lack thereof.

Nothing frustrates me more than when people say Riley is "Callahan 2.0". About the only thing the two have in common is they run a pro style offense. Riley is embracing the tradition at Nebraska. He's allowing former players to help in practice, he gave out the blackshirts before the season started so we could avoid the "when will Bo give out the blackshirts talk?" throughout the season, and heck he's allowing Boyd Epley to help in the training room! I believe Sipple wrote an article before the season about Dantonio and Michigan State, and how just a couple years ago they were a 6-6 team, that we need to be patient.

And to anyone who says "You hire a .500 coach, you're going to be .500", you're being completely naive. It's been said time and time again Oregon State and Nebraska are two completely different programs, but apparently that doesn't mean anything to some people so let's use other examples. Can you imagine if a coach was consistently .500 or better at schools like Purdue, Iowa State, and Kentucky? They would be celebrated as the next up and coming coach. That's what Mike Riley did at Oregon State.

Being a Chargers fan, me as much as anyone should be pessimistic about Riley, this is the 2nd time he's coached one of my teams. But I'm not because I'm able to see that this guy can coach as good as anyone. He's not Bill Callahan, not even close. I truly believe that Mike Riley and his staff are going to do great things here at Nebraska, and when his time here is done, we're going to be on a better path than we were before he came here.

I think it is a combination of WCO and an historically bad DC who is a buddy that causes the Callahan 2.0 comments.

And:

- Replaces a 9-3 coach winning over 70% of his games with no losing seasons at the only school that ever fired a 9-3 coach

- Breaks multiple long time record winning streaks
- Starts a dual threat QB built to run the previous system
- Has fans vocally blaming woes on a bare cupboard
- Has lifetime winning percentage between .480 and .520
- Winless when trailing at halftime
There's probably more. And there will almost certainly be more in the future. Loss to Southern Miss first season?

Hey, now. In the interest of balance, Bo was the only coach in modern times at NU to repeatedly make a fool of himself on national television. Make ya a bet......tv cameras will be less absorbed with Riley's behavior on the field than they were with ol' lickspittle. Take me up on that?

Why are you bringing Bo into it? We were talking about the similarities between Callahan 1.0 and Callahan 2.0.

No, you were--true to form--setting up your straw man for another wedgie on Riley. Are you seriously going to pretend virtually all of your posts are not critical of Riley? All I did was make it easy for yo to segue into it.....

Broken record, dude.

I'll never understand the sentiment, expressed in that article, that NU under Pelini would've 'folded' in the 3rd-4th Q against Miami this weekend. Hell, we called them the 'Cardiac Cornhuskers' (or at least, some writers did). We have Ohio St (biggest comeback in school history), Penn St 2011, Wiscy, NW, Mich St, Penn St 2012 (all 4 of these comebacks were incredible), NW (hail mary), Mich (great final drive led by Tommy), Penn St, Georgia 2013, Iowa 2014 (and almost Mich St 2014, if not for a dropped catch by Zo). Just in the last 4 years of Pelini's tenure, there were /eleven/ comeback victories. And in almost all of them, the game looked hopeless (the only 3 where had a chance the whole way was NW, Georgia, and Penn St 2013).

Pelini's teams often gave up (I don't need to list those games, they are engraved in our collective memory forever) but to act like they always folded when the going got tough is INSANE. We were the comeback kids for years.

By the way, I am a big Riley fan and think he will do great things at Nebraska. But let's not revise history to fit a narrative.

• Fire 1