I don't think Sam liked the Play Call

NUinID

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/while-nebraska-qb-armstrong-learns-from-his-coaches-they-also/article_3b65a1da-8e9a-5830-91bf-f8377552eb86.html

I get the feeling that Sam didn't care for the play call that TA was intercepted on in OT

In other words: It was nothing like Nebraska’s previous three drives. Having tied the game with breathless, wide-open football suited to Armstrong’s talents, Langsdorf and Riley went back to their pro-style roots. I-formation. Two tight ends. The slowest of NU’s five I-backs. A play that preached patience, not reactive instinct. A play built for a Riley/Langsdorf protégé from their days at Oregon State.

• Fire 1

Meh. In OT, you aren't up against the clock any more. Yes, it did work to get us the comeback (fortunately), but it's a different situation for both teams. It was also one call. It doesn't make sense to break components of our offense into "fits the QB" and "doesn't fit the QB" like this. No team can simply always run their 2 minute offense.

It's an easy target because of the result, but that wasn't even the only time Tommy was picked that day. And it easily could have, should have not been an interception.

Meh. In OT, you aren't up against the clock any more. Yes, it did work to get us the comeback (fortunately), but it's a different situation for both teams. It was also one call. It doesn't make sense to break components of our offense into "fits the QB" and "doesn't fit the QB" like this. No team can simply always run their 2 minute offense.

It's an easy target because of the result, but that wasn't even the only time Tommy was picked that day. And it easily could have, should have not been an interception.

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with Sam. I just thought it was interesting how he was not even trying to be diplomatic about not liking the play call. I am with you it didn't work, but it doesn't mean it was the wrong or right play.

In this week's Nyatawa-McKewon podcast, Sam mentioned that he thinks that part of the reason that NU/Langsdorf/Riley struggled with that play call in OT is the helter-skelter way they played most of the 4th quarter. Sam said that NU was basically playing playground football, letting TA drop back and chuck it all over the field. There was nothing to lose with that type of offense, as it was the only way to get back in the game. Then when OT started, NU tried to go back to an offense based on actual play-calling with plays designed to trick the defense. He likened it to a basketball team trying to come back from a big deficit, and they are pressing, running up and down, shooting a bunch of 3's. Then when the team actually does come back, and they struggle to design a play/get off a good shot when the score is tied with 20 seconds left in the game. I thought the analogy was pretty interesting, but I actually like Sam's work, unlike most people on this board.

Another thing Sam commented is that today's spread offenses are less about designing great plays, they are more about tiring out the defense. Then that mental and physical fatigue causes a mistake by the defense, and a WR is left wide open or a defender misses a one-on-one tackle, allowing for a big play. Sam said that is why a lot of spread teams can struggle to close out games in the 4th quarter and hold onto leads. The offense isn't used to creating a play by themselves or by design, so if the defense is focused to make "one stop", it can happen. Sam pointed out that Mississippi has often struggled to close out games with Hugh Freeze, and I also thought of the TCU-Baylor and Baylor-Michigan State games last year.

• Fire 2

In this week's Nyatawa-McKewon podcast, Sam mentioned that he thinks that part of the reason that NU/Langsdorf/Riley struggled with that play call in OT is the helter-skelter way they played most of the 4th quarter. Sam said that NU was basically playing playground football, letting TA drop back and chuck it all over the field. There was nothing to lose with that type of offense, as it was the only way to get back in the game. Then when OT started, NU tried to go back to an offense based on actual play-calling with plays designed to trick the defense. He likened it to a basketball team trying to come back from a big deficit, and they are pressing, running up and down, shooting a bunch of 3's. Then when the team actually does come back, and they struggle to design a play/get off a good shot when the score is tied with 20 seconds left in the game. I thought the analogy was pretty interesting, but I actually like Sam's work, unlike most people on this board.

Another thing Sam commented is that today's spread offenses are less about designing great plays, they are more about tiring out the defense. Then that mental and physical fatigue causes a mistake by the defense, and a WR is left wide open or a defender misses a one-on-one tackle, allowing for a big play. Sam said that is why a lot of spread teams can struggle to close out games in the 4th quarter and hold onto leads. The offense isn't used to creating a play by themselves or by design, so if the defense is focused to make "one stop", it can happen. Sam pointed out that Mississippi has often struggled to close out games with Hugh Freeze, and I also thought of the TCU-Baylor and Baylor-Michigan State games last year.

Interesting I might have to watch that pod cast. Actually I think most people on this board like his writnig. I do.

The thing is, it was a good play call. It should've worked. Wasn't executed.

I think his point is, "Why such a convoluted play that you have to depend on perfect execution at that point in the game". I was indifferent on the play call. Supposedly, Imani came open after he crossed (no pun intended) with Cethan, but TA didn't wait long enough for that read to develop.

Interesting I might have to watch that pod cast. Actually I think most people on this board like his writnig. I do.

Sam & Jon do weekly podcasts during the football season. I usually download them on I-tunes and listen to them from my phone. They are pretty good, and not too long (40-50 minutes). They cover "6 topics" as it's called the Pick 6 Podcast. They usually talk about the previous game, another Husker topic, preview the next game, big games in college football coming up, and a couple other topics. I like both Sam and Jon, so I think it's worth a listen each week.

Sam & Jon do weekly podcasts during the football season. I usually download them on I-tunes and listen to them from my phone. They are pretty good, and not too long (40-50 minutes). They cover "6 topics" as it's called the Pick 6 Podcast. They usually talk about the previous game, another Husker topic, preview the next game, big games in college football coming up, and a couple other topics. I like both Sam and Jon, so I think it's worth a listen each week.
"Trick" the defense is the essentially the same thing Tim Beck tried to do and it frustrated me. I just don't understand deviating from what worked, especially with all the momentum we had. Was it a good play call? In that situation, I disagreed with it when I saw them lineup. It's a slow developing play, Tommy is antsy, and the OL had a terrible time sustaining blocks.

Yeah, it could have been a good play call if it worked the way Langsdorf thought, but it didn't.

"Trick" the defense is the essentially the same thing Tim Beck tried to do and it frustrated me. I just don't understand deviating from what worked, especially with all the momentum we had. Was it a good play call? In that situation, I disagreed with it when I saw them lineup. It's a slow developing play, Tommy is antsy, and the OL had a terrible time sustaining blocks.

Yeah, it could have been a good play call if it worked the way Langsdorf thought, but it didn't.

Hindsight is 20/20, so I can see why people think Langsdorf should have kept it simple the first play into OT. I can see why Langsdorf called what he did, too. He tried to pick on a 3rd string safety, and it might have worked. TA made a poor decision. I think Sam is saying Langsdorf shouldn't have put TA in the position to make that decision.