Outside Perspective

Sker4Ever

I'm so glad we didn't get Bert. Can't imagine having a HC with an Iowa tattoo.

Me too. A lot of people may already know this but I heard last weekend from a pretty reliable source, THE ONLY reason he's not our current HC is bc the media announced it before it was ever actually official and he backed out. Thank you press!

why would that cause him to back out? im not sure I buy that. Ive heard from many people in the know that he was offered, so I believe you there. If he wanted to coach at Nebraska, im not sure why a news story saying he might coach Nebraska would cause him to back out.

There was a little more to the story that I'm a little fuzzy on bc of the day's activities :wasted but something that happened with the media before it was official was the primary reason he backed out
Heard that he was offered the job, but the media reported it before Bert could make the announcement so he backed out. Apparently he's got that burr in his saddle.

I wouldn't trust anything that comes out of the AD or chancellor's office.

But you'd trust the media? Or Bielema? Or his agent?

The timeline alone makes Riley the obvious first choice. No way was there time to meet, greet, discuss, etc. another coach and still get Riley hired in 4 days.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, where did I ever say that I believed any of those 3?

All I said was that was the info put out there at the time.

I don't recall the timing, but I thought that there was more time between the firing and the hiring.

Even if it were only 4 days, there would have been time to interview and negotiate with other candidates.

4 days to interview and negotiate two coaches for a big time program? It did not happen. I was surprised Riley was hired so fast. For SE and HP to offer one coach, interview and negotiate with him, then offer another coach and interview and negotiate with them, it would of taken longer than 4 days.

I'm so glad we didn't get Bert. Can't imagine having a HC with an Iowa tattoo.

2nd that, no Big Red Bert. I was kind of hoping for Justin Fuentes who continues to kick butt @ Memphis, but I think Riley was and is an excellent choice, though it came out of left field. His demeanor is more "Osborne-like" as well.

Fuentes was a great QB here in Tulsa in his HS years. His was coached well and will be a rising star.

I liked Fuentes or Lance Leipold. Leipold is Buffalo's new coach.

Just to be clear, you never offer a job without knowing it will be accepted. You gauge their interest through an agent. "We'd like to see what Bret thinks about coaching here, we can talk numbers at a 3rd party location when he's on a recruiting trip."

This is done for plausible deniability. If the interest isn't reciprocated or talks fall apart, both sides can claim the offer never happened and that you never spoke, because communication is handled through each party's agent.

For the record, I have no idea if Brett was contacted. But it does seem likely, for a variety of reasons, that interest was measured by both sides.

• Fire 1

Just to be clear, you never offer a job without knowing it will be accepted. You gauge their interest through an agent. "We'd like to see what Bret thinks about coaching here, we can talk numbers at a 3rd party location when he's on a recruiting trip."

This is done for plausible deniability. If the interest isn't reciprocated or talks fall apart, both sides can claim the offer never happened and that you never spoke, because communication is handled through each party's agent.

For the record, I have no idea if Brett was contacted. But it does seem likely, for a variety of reasons, that interest was measured by both sides.

Houston Nutt disagrees. But I see what you are saying. I will chalk Houston Nutt up to just plain stupidity on the part of Steve Pederson.