Outside Perspective

Sker4Ever

Rivals with a short blurb about Riley and his start at Nebraska. What caught my eye was the last sentence where the author mentions Bielema being offered the job. Not sure if this has ever been proven, plus if it is true Mr. Eichorst told us a lie.

https://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1806720

"Nebraska could have Bret Bielema coaching right now after the Huskers offered him ahead of Riley. Sometimes a loss is a win off the field too."

• Fire 1

I'm so glad we didn't get Bert. Can't imagine having a HC with an Iowa tattoo.

Me too. A lot of people may already know this but I heard last weekend from a pretty reliable source, THE ONLY reason he's not our current HC is bc the media announced it before it was ever actually official and he backed out. Thank you press!

I'm so glad we didn't get Bert. Can't imagine having a HC with an Iowa tattoo.

Me too. A lot of people may already know this but I heard last weekend from a pretty reliable source, THE ONLY reason he's not our current HC is bc the media announced it before it was ever actually official and he backed out. Thank you press!

why would that cause him to back out? im not sure I buy that. Ive heard from many people in the know that he was offered, so I believe you there. If he wanted to coach at Nebraska, im not sure why a news story saying he might coach Nebraska would cause him to back out.

There was a little more to the story that I'm a little fuzzy on bc of the day's activities :wasted but something that happened with the media before it was official was the primary reason he backed out

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd have a very difficult time continuing to be a Husker fan if Bielema was strolling our sideline. He's not a very good coach, and him jumping from Arkansas so soon to Nebraska would look very bad. Riley is a great hire. Bronco Mendenhall would have been a great hire. I sort of took the bait hook line and sinker on a Tressel hire.

• Fire 1

I was not a huge fan of the Bielema rumors. I'm glad they turned out not to be true. This seems like a mistake from the author. Common sense, too: should be extremely plain what kind of qualities Eichorst was looking for, and in that context it's impossible to see how Bielema would have been a choice.

I was not a huge fan of the Bielema rumors. I'm glad they turned out not to be true. This seems like a mistake from the author. Common sense, too: should be extremely plain what kind of qualities Eichorst was looking for, and in that context it's impossible to see how Bielema would have been a choice.

As I recall Bielema's departure from Wiscy didn't go smoothly. Given the relationship between Alvarez and Eichorst I really doubt Bert was considered.

I don't think that Bert was ever "offered". He might have been contacted or been #2 or 3 or 4 on the list if Riley turned us down.

The first reports of serious talks with Bert was on Wed, Dec 3. But Eichorst and Harv where in SF meeting with Riley on Tues, Dec 2 and Wed, Dec 3. So I find it hard to believe that Bert was offered or the top choice when both our AD and Chancellor were meeting with another coach.

If we lose to Southern Miss tomorrow, Riley will be in serious trouble in year 1. I can't see how that happens, but the writer sure thinks its a possibility.

Southern Miss hung in there against Miss St. for a long time. With our injuries, new coaching staff, new schemes, secondary woes etc...it could very well happen.