Outside Perspective

Sker4Ever

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd have a very difficult time continuing to be a Husker fan if Bielema was strolling our sideline. He's not a very good coach, and him jumping from Arkansas so soon to Nebraska would look very bad. Riley is a great hire. Bronco Mendenhall would have been a great hire. I sort of took the bait hook line and sinker on a Tressel hire.

I really don't know how anyone could take the Tressel hire seriously. Bielema and SE were underlings to Alvarez at Wisconsin so they obviously knew each other. With that said, on the surface, Bielema doesn't seem like the type of coach that SE would go for. To me Bret Bielema is a lot closer to Bo Pelini in demeanor than what he was looking for. He doesn't want any "Energy Vampires" and he seems like that type of a guy.

Bronco is never leaving BYU he is a Mormon and this is his dream job.

I was not a huge fan of the Bielema rumors. I'm glad they turned out not to be true. This seems like a mistake from the author. Common sense, too: should be extremely plain what kind of qualities Eichorst was looking for, and in that context it's impossible to see how Bielema would have been a choice.

As I recall Bielema's departure from Wiscy didn't go smoothly. Given the relationship between Alvarez and Eichorst I really doubt Bert was considered.

Exactly this. I don't see Alvarez recommending Bert, and I don't see Eichorst not asking Alvarez.

• Fire 1

Would love to play Arkansas in a bowl game. Bert wouldn't be able to resist trash talking in all the lead-up time to the game. Then we could be the "nail in the coffin" getting him fired.

I guess I would rather play in a major bowl, though.

He'll probably end up at Iowa eventually.

Hopefully that's the closest he ever gets to Lincoln

BW-vnIQCMAAP1o7_crop_north.jpg?w=759&h=5

• Fire 4

I'm so glad we didn't get Bert. Can't imagine having a HC with an Iowa tattoo.

2nd that, no Big Red Bert. I was kind of hoping for Justin Fuentes who continues to kick butt @ Memphis, but I think Riley was and is an excellent choice, though it came out of left field. His demeanor is more "Osborne-like" as well.

Fuentes was a great QB here in Tulsa in his HS years. His was coached well and will be a rising star.

Would love to play Arkansas in a bowl game. Bert wouldn't be able to resist trash talking in all the lead-up time to the game. Then we could be the "nail in the coffin" getting him fired.

I guess I would rather play in a major bowl, though.

He'll probably end up at Iowa eventually.

Hopefully that's the closest he ever gets to Lincoln

BW-vnIQCMAAP1o7_crop_north.jpg?w=759&h=5

sure glad he isn't our coach - a dumpster fire worse then Bo would be in the works.

• Fire 2

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd have a very difficult time continuing to be a Husker fan if Bielema was strolling our sideline. He's not a very good coach, and him jumping from Arkansas so soon to Nebraska would look very bad. Riley is a great hire. Bronco Mendenhall would have been a great hire. I sort of took the bait hook line and sinker on a Tressel hire.

I really don't know how anyone could take the Tressel hire seriously. Bielema and SE were underlings to Alvarez at Wisconsin so they obviously knew each other. With that said, on the surface, Bielema doesn't seem like the type of coach that SE would go for. To me Bret Bielema is a lot closer to Bo Pelini in demeanor than what he was looking for. He doesn't want any "Energy Vampires" and he seems like that type of a guy.

Bronco is never leaving BYU he is a Mormon and this is his dream job.

this board has a lot of those "energy vampires" floating around.

Me too. A lot of people may already know this but I heard last weekend from a pretty reliable source, THE ONLY reason he's not our current HC is bc the media announced it before it was ever actually official and he backed out. Thank you press!

why would that cause him to back out? im not sure I buy that. Ive heard from many people in the know that he was offered, so I believe you there. If he wanted to coach at Nebraska, im not sure why a news story saying he might coach Nebraska would cause him to back out.

There was a little more to the story that I'm a little fuzzy on bc of the day's activities :wasted but something that happened with the media before it was official was the primary reason he backed out

Heard that he was offered the job, but the media reported it before Bert could make the announcement so he backed out. Apparently he's got that burr in his saddle.

I wouldn't trust anything that comes out of the AD or chancellor's office.

Me too. A lot of people may already know this but I heard last weekend from a pretty reliable source, THE ONLY reason he's not our current HC is bc the media announced it before it was ever actually official and he backed out. Thank you press!

why would that cause him to back out? im not sure I buy that. Ive heard from many people in the know that he was offered, so I believe you there. If he wanted to coach at Nebraska, im not sure why a news story saying he might coach Nebraska would cause him to back out.

There was a little more to the story that I'm a little fuzzy on bc of the day's activities :wasted but something that happened with the media before it was official was the primary reason he backed out

Heard that he was offered the job, but the media reported it before Bert could make the announcement so he backed out. Apparently he's got that burr in his saddle.

But you'd trust the media? Or Bielema? Or his agent?

The timeline alone makes Riley the obvious first choice. No way was there time to meet, greet, discuss, etc. another coach and still get Riley hired in 4 days.

The timeline alone makes Riley the obvious first choice. No way was there time to meet, greet, discuss, etc. another coach and still get Riley hired in 4 days.

I have always been enamored by those who have such terrible things to say about the people behind the scenes. There is so much information that they miss and are not aware of that their judgement are based purely surface level opinions

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, where did I ever say that I believed any of those 3?

All I said was that was the info put out there at the time.

I don't recall the timing, but I thought that there was more time between the firing and the hiring.

Even if it were only 4 days, there would have been time to interview and negotiate with other candidates.

I have always been enamored by those who have such terrible things to say about the people behind the scenes. There is so much information that they miss and are not aware of that their judgement are based purely surface level opinions

I agree.