Wisconsin

Mavric

It is interesting that in a week where their fans want them to run the ball more they face a team where you want to put as many receivers on the field as you can.

78 degrees with a 17 mph wind at kickoff. The wind will slowly decrease to 13 mph at 6:00 pm. SSW is the direction. Is this enough to allow our D to stop the Wisconsin passing game?

I want this Husker team to run the ball on every single first down today.

Forget the change up, forget catching them off guard, run the ball on every single first down.

Then if 2nd down is 5 or less, run it then too.

Sounds nice, but we'll have to wait and see if the tiger can change his stripes. I'm sure they've had intentions to utilize the run game, it just gets sidelined in the process. I picture this:

Setting, crowded coaches office where the game plan is set and scripted. Riley starts out with the bold announcement, "Alright guys, this week, we pound the rock!" *nods and grunts of approval*

"I say we start out giving the Wiscy Defense a gut check, send the Janimal up the middle". *more grunts of approval* "Then we're looking at 2nd & 5 or 6, we hit the edge, DPE on a jet sweep" *slow nods all around*

"That sets up 3rd & say 2 or 3, time to burn that redshirt for JS. Any thoughts?" *glances exchanged around the table until Riley locks eyes with Langsdorf. Seeing that gleam in his eyes Riley slowly nods as a grin widens*

"Downtown...we have Tommy go for it all, right? *Langsdorf nods and grins enthusiastically* "They'll never expect it", says Langsdorf adding "and you know...faking the handoff to Jano and hitting him on a screen would really open up the chances for that long pass..." *Now Riley is nodding vigorously as his eyes widen in revelation.*

"You're absolutely right! Also, can we really risk DPE getting caught behind the line or even getting injured? What if we switch that to a fake jet sweep and have Turner pull up and throw it over the middle to Westy? We'll have them reeling and off balance the whole time, never knowing what's coming next!" *Room erupts with chants of "Pound the Rock" and high fives all around*

I guess I can't entirely blame them. What offensive coordinator doesn't see Tommy's arm strength and begin to salivate. We just don't have the type of playmaker at WR. Yes, Westerkamp is reliable as anybody in the country, but can be made non-effective. Reilly has speed, but I have yet to see him step up and make the play on those tough catches, he doesn't appear to be "that" guy to me. Alonzo Moore is another burner, but his hands have been questionable. I haven't seen him get a lot of opportunities down field this season, but his hands have improved thus far. Maybe Morgan could be that guy? I don't know, but regardless, the deep ball is okay once in awhile but we look like we are headed down the road of going to it far too often. Last week was not a good sign.

Pound the running backs in this one or even run Alonzo on those jet sweep plays. It seems he gains at least ten yards every time he runs it. Play good defense and force Stave to make some throws. Yes, it might come down to the wire again, but that's better than the ass beatings we've taken from these guys in the past.