Welcome to the Twilight Zone

DomiNUs

When the coaches stop forcing square pegs into round holes on defense. With nearly the same personnel, our secondary has gone from one of the best to one of the worst in one year. That is scheme.

On offense, they need to be better game managers. We have one of the worst 3rd Down Conversions in the nation, many of these misses coming during 3rd & short (1 yard even). Our OC says these type of downs are pass plays, but we have personnel, like Jano, that would allow for a physical run game. Clock management has been a well documented disaster.

Wow. Did he really say that? Or is that something that is implied? Not trying to stir up controversy, just wondering if he really said it out loud, because it's been implied by the playcalling.

Here are his comments and the stats....... We do not have an OC that comprehends the running game.

Heading into the game, the Huskers were converting on 41.2 percent of their third downs, which is middle of the pack at No. 62 in the country. On Saturday, the Huskers converted just four of their 17 chances, or 23.5 percent.

Here’s the breakdown: Nebraska went with a pass on 12 of the plays, a run by quarterback Tommy Armstrong Jr. on three of them and a run by fullback Andy Janovich on the other two.

Armstrong went 2-of-11 with an interception and a sack, with one of his completions to tight end Cethan Carter for 55 yards and the other to Terrell Newby out of the backfield for four yards on third-and-16.

Armstrong busted off a 32-yard scramble, but his other two carries went for two on third and three and for a loss of three on third and five. Janovich carried the ball for gains of four and 10, converting both times, and both were on the drive preceding the Illinois game-winner.

Again, three of Nebraska’s four conversion were via the run. But they only ran it five times. Why?

“It’s hard to convert third-and-6, third-and-7 runs all the time,” offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf said. “I think you can get them occasionally.”

True. However, Nebraska had third-and-4 or less seven times. They threw it four times, all of them incomplete, and ran three times, with two conversions by Janovich during a clock-chewing drive.

Nebraska had a third-and-5 or 6 four times. It converted two with the big run by Armstrong and the big pass to Carter, ran for a loss of three on one and threw an incompletion on the fourth. The Huskers had six third downs of 7 or more yards and didn’t convert any of them, going 1 of 5 through the air with an interception and a sack.

“Success on those early downs can get us in those third-and-2, third-and-3 situations where we feel pretty good about running it,” Langsdorf continued. “But we really had some things going in the passing game. We thought we had some open plays that we didn’t connect on. But I like where we’re at with the run. We had good production there. We ran hard and stuck with it.”

"But we really had some things going in the passing game". Comments like these lead me to believe the coaches weren't at the same game, unless by things going he means really really bad things.

I would still like our chances, but we have too many injuries on defense to keep the score low enough to give us a strong chance of winning.

That's quite possibly true. On the flip side they had no offense even before their injuries. Could be a bit of a pillow fight this weekend.

When the coaches stop forcing square pegs into round holes on defense. With nearly the same personnel, our secondary has gone from one of the best to one of the worst in one year. That is scheme.

On offense, they need to be better game managers. We have one of the worst 3rd Down Conversions in the nation, many of these misses coming during 3rd & short (1 yard even). Our OC says these type of downs are pass plays, but we have personnel, like Jano, that would allow for a physical run game. Clock management has been a well documented disaster.

Wow. Did he really say that? Or is that something that is implied? Not trying to stir up controversy, just wondering if he really said it out loud, because it's been implied by the playcalling.

Here are his comments and the stats....... We do not have an OC that comprehends the running game.

Heading into the game, the Huskers were converting on 41.2 percent of their third downs, which is middle of the pack at No. 62 in the country. On Saturday, the Huskers converted just four of their 17 chances, or 23.5 percent.

Here’s the breakdown: Nebraska went with a pass on 12 of the plays, a run by quarterback Tommy Armstrong Jr. on three of them and a run by fullback Andy Janovich on the other two.

Armstrong went 2-of-11 with an interception and a sack, with one of his completions to tight end Cethan Carter for 55 yards and the other to Terrell Newby out of the backfield for four yards on third-and-16.

Armstrong busted off a 32-yard scramble, but his other two carries went for two on third and three and for a loss of three on third and five. Janovich carried the ball for gains of four and 10, converting both times, and both were on the drive preceding the Illinois game-winner.

Again, three of Nebraska’s four conversion were via the run. But they only ran it five times. Why?

“It’s hard to convert third-and-6, third-and-7 runs all the time,” offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf said. “I think you can get them occasionally.”

True. However, Nebraska had third-and-4 or less seven times. They threw it four times, all of them incomplete, and ran three times, with two conversions by Janovich during a clock-chewing drive.

Nebraska had a third-and-5 or 6 four times. It converted two with the big run by Armstrong and the big pass to Carter, ran for a loss of three on one and threw an incompletion on the fourth. The Huskers had six third downs of 7 or more yards and didn’t convert any of them, going 1 of 5 through the air with an interception and a sack.

“Success on those early downs can get us in those third-and-2, third-and-3 situations where we feel pretty good about running it,” Langsdorf continued. “But we really had some things going in the passing game. We thought we had some open plays that we didn’t connect on. But I like where we’re at with the run. We had good production there. We ran hard and stuck with it.”

Ughh, this makes my stomach turn.

"But we really had some things going in the passing game". Comments like these lead me to believe the coaches weren't at the same game, unless by things going he means really really bad things.

10-31 IIRC........Unsure what was going other than drops and bad passing..... And if something was going in the passing game, why call a run on that 3rd and 7.................

I think he meant the way Illinois was playing defense left more open in the passing game. Obviously, we didn't capitalize enough.

If we don't get out of the funk this week versus Wisconsin, I'm afraid of what will happen to the team's confidence. Hoping we get on track this week.

I just have a weird feeling about Wisconsin. I'm not nervous about it at all. For some reason, I think we are going to win convincingly. Of course I am probably wrong, but this is just a gut feeling.

I have the same feeling. Can't figure it out, but I just have a feeling of a win...big

The Wisconsin D worries me. They will make TA pass, and this staff will be happy to oblige. I think this will cause us to lose the TO battle. I would still like our chances, but we have too many injuries on defense to keep the score low enough to give us a strong chance of winning. Also, MR has to be up by 9 or more with 2 minutes to go, or he will find a way to give the game away.

Not only that but Ozigbo being a bigger part of the rotation- being young I think we are in for some fumbles there.

Heading into the game, the Huskers were converting on 41.2 percent of their third downs, which is middle of the pack at No. 62 in the country. On Saturday, the Huskers converted just four of their 17 chances, or 23.5 percent.[/size]

http://hailvarsity.com/news/commentary/run-the-ball/2015/10/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=2015_10_05_Runtheball_3&inf_contact_key=13b766c933cbdf1485a3c0d310bad588f1f426ac8db7a496e0c4e3870c27dafb

Langsdorf said during one of the post practice interviews that 3rd & 3 or 4 are passing downs. Then this weekend, he says it is hard to call more than two running plays in a row. It is no surprise they throw it so much on 3rd downs, regardless of the distance. It is part of his offensive philosophy.

Heading into the game, the Huskers were converting on 41.2 percent of their third downs, which is middle of the pack at No. 62 in the country. On Saturday, the Huskers converted just four of their 17 chances, or 23.5 percent.[/size]

http://hailvarsity.com/news/commentary/run-the-ball/2015/10/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=2015_10_05_Runtheball_3&inf_contact_key=13b766c933cbdf1485a3c0d310bad588f1f426ac8db7a496e0c4e3870c27dafb

Langsdorf said during one of the post practice interviews that 3rd & 3 or 4 are passing downs. Then this weekend, he says it is hard to call more than two running plays in a row. It is no surprise they throw it so much on 3rd downs, regardless of the distance. It is part of his offensive philosophy.

Per the article above, we only ran twice in a row 6 times IIRC. Looking back at our games, he rarely calls for running plays in a row. It is more probable than not that following a running play, we will not see another one. Frustrating to say the least as we are averaging over 5 yards per carry for the season IIRC.

Here's what Riley said about 3rd down conversions after the game:

"We were trying to do better on 1st and 2nd down to get some 1st downs there cuz our 3rd down stuff was, was bad from the very beginning."

:confucius

I don't even know what to say about this. This 3rd & 3-4 statement sounds like a square peg in a round hole if there ever was one. This is exactly the type of thing MR said they weren't going to force onto the team. As for not running more than two running plays in a row, that's also absurd. How do they know how hard it is if they never do it.