Can the Huskers really regain a top status in college football?

Can the Huskers Really be Relevant Again?  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nebraska had one heck of a good run. Changes in NCAA rules. Changes in $$$$ across the board. Location, Location, Location. Long, long, long term name cache.

Did we manage to catch the proverbial lightning in a bottle with Devaney, then a Nebraska native Tom Osborne, under the right circumstances (being the big brother in the North Big 8, unlimited walkons, etc).

Truly, looking at the landscape of college football the last 20 years, can Nebraska ever be a consistent Top Ten team again, or are we going to be a team that achieves its peak with 8 - 9 win seasons.

I started listening to games a couple of years before Coach Devaney first arrived and clearly remember my grandfather and uncles "hoping for a winning season this year". The 50 years since have spoiled us and I really wonder if that was just a run of good circumstances, and are we beating our heads against a wall hoping for something that in all likelihood won't happen again.

It is a hard question to ask, but after 20 years, I think it is a valid question.

Edit: I tried to set up a poll, but guess it didn't work. Any hints on how to do that?

Yes we can. See Alabama, Michigan, Notre Dame, Florida State.

Alabama >> longer, greater tradition than NU...in SEC?

Michigan >> longer, greater tradition than NU ... more access to talent ..

Notre Dame >>> Notre Dame..what can you say....

Florida State >>> advantage of being in ACC (like when we used to be in the North, Big 8)...access to local talent....sunshine, beaches and bikini babes.

First thing one has to do is not plan marathons before figuring out how to work the door knob on the front door. We fans are as guilty of that as anyone.

College football has never been more wide open. Also rans rising up, and former powers not guaranteed success simply because of past success. One thing we got away from, and something we see so much in other programs, is becoming really good at something. It's not whether you run or throw or play this defense or that one. Lots of things work. Find something you do well and do it until you can't fail.

Yes we can. See Alabama, Michigan, Notre Dame, Florida State.

Alabama >> longer, greater tradition than NU...in SEC?

Michigan >> longer, greater tradition than NU ... more access to talent ..

Notre Dame >>> Notre Dame..what can you say....

Florida State >>> advantage of being in ACC (like when we used to be in the North, Big 8)...access to local talent....sunshine, beaches and bikini babes.

All of these programs had ups and downs is what I am saying. Bama had them before Saban, Notre Dame went through I think 3 coaches before Brian Kelly. FSU started to skid with Bowden near the end. Michigan has gone through 2 coaches after Carr who won a natty and 5 B1G titles. It can be done. Yes, Nebraska has to recruit nationally that's one of the things that makes us unique.

I really hate this defeatist crap. Can't we support the current coaching regime (and I do) without deciding that Nebraska fans should be grateful for Sun Bowl berths in the modern era?

Michigan relies heavily on other states for its recruiting. It has another major power (MSU) not only within its own state borders, but within its own conference. It loses in-state "diamonds in the rough" to Western Michigan, Central Michigan, and Eastern Michigan all the time. If Michigan can rise from the ashes, Nebraska will be fine (just not this year).

In this day and age, every fanbase is programmed with a "win now" mentality. Many schools have gone through different coaches. Our problem is got a little too greedy and twice fired Coaches that had winning records. Now that we have a nice losing coach, all of a sudden its acceptable and people are willing to put up with mediocrity for the next 2-3 years.

• Fire 1

If teams like Utah can play at a high level and win, then so can a team with the tradition like Nebraska. We have way more to offer then they do, and they are not a recruiting hotbed either.

I"m not talking about having a few good years. Utah has never been a consistent top ten team. Boston College had their day too..but they've disappeared. I"m talking about being the "Nebraska" of old...perennial powerhouse, always top ten...

If teams like Utah can play at a high level and win, then so can a team with the tradition like Nebraska. We have way more to offer then they do, and they are not a recruiting hotbed either.

Utah. Yes, but they have a culture of physical football. It took them 3-4 short years to figure it out moving from MWC to Pac12 and they are ranked #5.

The environment at a Utah game looks much more enticing than a game at NU, why? The fans are right on top of the players. They are loud, they aren't 70+ years old.

I know most people aren't going to agree with me, but that's how I see it. It's my opinion, and I think the whole "nice" fan thing is WAY overrated and borderline bad. Again, just my opinion.

• Fire 1

I"m not talking about having a few good years. Utah has never been a consistent top ten team. Boston College had their day too..but they've disappeared. I"m talking about being the "Nebraska" of old...perennial powerhouse, always top ten...

I get what you are saying. I'm just saying that if these teams can put together a good couple of years, then a team like Nebraska, with it's tradition should be able to have more than just a couple of good years.

I voted that we can become great again with a good coach and money. Teams like Utah and etc. have their couple of years without those. If we can put together some good recruiting classes, I believe we can be more than competitive in the B1G. Start winning in the B1G, recruits will come (hopefully).

You're right, and about half of their roster is made up of 'unathletic' 'untalented' local guys.

Kinda like K-State's (which has an even heavier 'unathletic' 'untalented' local talent lean).

Kinda like the team Nebraska lost to today.

Kinda like Nebraska had back when they were good.