Ashamed

Would agree. Stop with the Riley bashing, at least until the end of the season. I agree with some that expectations should remain at a championship level, but reality is, unless you hire Saban or Meyer, it takes more than one or two years to win a title. Meyer did inherit a good program, that won games and played for recent titles. Saban is the king of turn arounds.

Harbaugh is next on that list. Followed by the B list of coaching talent. "A" level coaches are slim for the picking. This is my arguement for Scott Frost as the next coach in a few seasons. Obviously, in my opinion, "A" list coaches are not coming here. This job has been open 3 times in 12 years, and they haven't broken the door down to get here and coach. If you select another mid tier coach, your looking at more of the same.

Be patient, see if Scott Frost is willing to come home in a couple of years and make this program Big Red Strong once again. I would be willing to say that Frost will involve many past and former players/coaches in this turn around process. Those who know, understand, and believe in Nebraska football.

Riley is an experienced coach, but his experience is only limited to Canadian and Pac 12 football. Chuck and gun ball, and more chucking and gunning. Thats what his identity is. That who was hired. I do think with a couple of recruits, this team next year could be a really fun team to watch. Hell, with a healthy DPE, and if Stevenson is for real, that might make the difference right there.

I am a strong supporter that this team needs to try different players at all 22 positions the rest of the way. Seems like we have some tampering going on with in our lockeroom by former players, and coaches. Alot of stuff being circulated. Now is not the time to change coaches, again.

• Fire 1

Harbaugh might turn this around, or Michigan might end the season with 3 losses, so let's kinda wait on that one. He might have Michigan on top of the world in two or three years' time or maybe he does a Brady Hoke. Hoke went 11-2 his first year, and shockingly, didn't end up the best coach ever.

• Fire 1

When I posted this originally, I was frustrated with all the fire Riley postings. I was hoping that my post would help in calming things just a little. After reviewing all the subsequent posts, it appears I had made it worse. What I really find interesting is all the new name posters. I have been reading this board for a long time. I usually keep my thoughts to myself, laugh at some I read and shake my head at others. But, the fire the coach thing is really getting out of hand. Even with all the reposting of my post, nobody addressed the main point I was making.

Its not about the wins or losses, Its about how you play the game. We, the husker faithful, used to keep that in mind and close to our hearts. Not so much anymore. Too bad, that is what made us special as a fan base.

Okay, all you haters..... Ready, set, go.......

There must be some who agree with you, NU5X. You received 17 +1s for your OP. (So far.) I've only seen a handful of posts on HB since we've been giving out +1s that were more well received. :thumbs:

If it's really about how you play the game, then I suggest that you 2 and anyone that plus 1'd your posts actually watch the games.

The team hasn't gotten better, and has actually regressed in many Areas.

When I posted this originally, I was frustrated with all the fire Riley postings. I was hoping that my post would help in calming things just a little. After reviewing all the subsequent posts, it appears I had made it worse. What I really find interesting is all the new name posters. I have been reading this board for a long time. I usually keep my thoughts to myself, laugh at some I read and shake my head at others. But, the fire the coach thing is really getting out of hand. Even with all the reposting of my post, nobody addressed the main point I was making.

Its not about the wins or losses, Its about how you play the game. We, the husker faithful, used to keep that in mind and close to our hearts. Not so much anymore. Too bad, that is what made us special as a fan base.

There must be some who agree with you, NU5X. You received 17 +1s for your OP. (So far.) I've only seen a handful of posts on HB since we've been giving out +1s that were more well received. :thumbs:

If it's really about how you play the game, then I suggest that you 2 and anyone that plus 1'd your posts actually watch the games.

Do you think losing Ameer and Randy Gregory, and the injuries we have on defense, have any impact on our team?

I do think some comments and the people who offer them on this board (I don't know what is written elsewhere as I don't take the time but presumably there is a similar tone and content as this board exhibits) are fair or right and could be accurately described as shameful. I am not ashamed of our team or program or the coaches or administration.

I do, however, understand the strong questioning of how or why we selected Riley to be the future of the program. We needed as a Head Coach at Nebraska someone that has the following capabilities:

1. A great X & Os guy.

2. A person of great, demonstrated personal character for honesty, integrity, sincerity, intelligence, well spoken, with a desire to be the coach at Nebraska as a long term career.

3. A coach with considerable experience (at least 10 years IMO) as a head coach of a program of significance with large budgets, of a D-1 level program.

4. A coach with experience as a former player who can relate to the work, effort, trials and tribulations of being a collegiate and or pro athlete in today's world.

5. A coach with a national reputation and well known to most of the college football world.

6. A good judge of character who can relate to today's youth and be a good role model and leader of them (this is not easy certainly).

7. A person with extra thick skin who can handle criticism and responds well to challenges and believes fervently in his system.

8. Someone who is adaptable and can adjust to the changes that occur over time as things are always in a state of constant change.

9. Someone who will NOT embarrass the University through his personal actions or violate the rules or attempt to cover up the same.

The question is: How many of these basic descriptors do you feel Riley fits? Can we find someone who fits better?

I thiink Riley somewhat fits numbers 1, 3, 4, 6 (maybe?), and 7, and 9. I think he falls short of meeting 2, 5 and 8 and again 6 is ify at best.

:facepalm:

Most that state they don't accept mediocrity, are. Would be good to see the great successful lives of those that seem to be the loudest on this witch hunt.

Your not in the fish bowl, so it is easy to make claims and promises, predictions and what ifs. The team is doing the job in front of us, and it certainly is not all wine and roses for them. The staff is struggling some no question. But some on here actually act like the know more about coaching than coaches that have done it at this level. Paid millions of dollars to do. While the ones screaming, most likely have never done anything above peewee or possibly high school level. If they did, they would not have the time to post after post about the problems it seems.

We have so many new posters lately. When the water rises the rats start coming out. We have a boat load it appears.

• Fire 3

Its not about the wins or losses, Its about how you play the game.

So exactly how do we play the game?...

• Alex Lewis quitting the team (for one night)
  • Alex Lewis taunting the fans
  • The other Captains publicly backing Alex Lewis
  • Tommie Armstrong throwing on 3rd and 7...when told not to do so.
  • Penalties, penalties, penalties
  • Head Scratching play calls
  • WTF Clock Management and Timeouts
  • Players not knowing the plays and /or formations called (Aaron Williams, Cethan Carter, Imani Cross are three that come to mind)
  • Even more penalties
  • Running and passing on a downward trend
  • Pass defense holding steady

It was different when Nebraska used to get beat constantly by Oklahoma or Miami by great players, great coaches, and great plays. This isn't that.

So if a lot of fans don't like this, is that on them or is it the body of work that has been showcased so far?

• Fire 1

Sorry, but I refuse to accept mediocrity. If that's being "selfish" or "pathetic" so be it.

Then good luck getting coaches, or even recruits, that want to come here.

If you are content with attracting coaches and players that want to be mediocre, all the power to ya. I'm not.

• Fire 1

In the immortal words of Vince Lombardi, "if winning isn't everything, then why do they keep score?"

• Fire 3

Do you think losing Ameer and Randy Gregory, and the injuries we have on defense, have any impact on our team?

Every team loses players.

Injuries are not an excuse. They weren't for the past 7 years even when we actually lost all American caliber players, why would they now?

Coach em up, coach em up.

Excuses are not acceptable here.

• Fire 1

I have no issue with anyone who isn't happy with the results so far. I don't think anyone is or should be happy with that.

I do agree with the OP to an extent in that some fans have gone way overboard with bashing the coaching staff and/or anyone who who supports the coaching staff.

I'm not happy with this season but I do support the team and staff and I do believe that this staff can be successful here. I like the way they have conducted themselves through adversity and they way Riley and the team have composed themselves this week has me positive for the future of the program under Riley.

• Fire 4

Sorry, but I refuse to accept mediocrity. If that's being "selfish" or "pathetic" so be it.

Then good luck getting coaches, or even recruits, that want to come here.

If you are content with attracting coaches and players that want to be mediocre, all the power to ya. I'm not.

No coach is going to want to come here if there is a chance of them getting fired after a mediocre first season. And no recruits are going to want to come here if they are going to have different coaches every year. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet the first year or two.
  • Fire 2