The Model for Success at Nebraska: A Strong Physical Running Game

The Duke

To save this season Tommy will have to be allowed to run the ball more. Its that simple. Theres a trend ive studied. When he gets going with his legs, and his attempts go down, his competence and completion % in the pass game soar. As does the whole teams win/liss success. This is not coincidence. Its a pattern dating back to his first start in 2013. Hes a thumper. Ges 6-2, 220 pounds. Hes the most physical-and in my opinion- most skilled running back we have. Feed him.

Agreed. Just look at his game against Miami last year...that's how we should play him. Limit him to about 17 passes or so, with most of them being play action and have him run. He's not at his best when you ask him to throw 30+ times a game The guy is a naturally gifted runner, passing on the other hand....

To save this season Tommy will have to be allowed to run the ball more. Its that simple. Theres a trend ive studied. When he gets going with his legs, and his attempts go down, his competence and completion % in the pass game soar. As does the whole teams win/liss success. This is not coincidence. Its a pattern dating back to his first start in 2013. Hes a thumper. Ges 6-2, 220 pounds. Hes the most physical-and in my opinion- most skilled running back we have. Feed him.

I agree with you that Tommy IS a physical runner, and I think that has gone unnoticed at times. I wouldn't say he's the most physical runner we have...that would be Andy Janovich, but Tommy definitely can hold his own.

The one area where Tommy has a very strong skill set is in running the speed option game. He runs physical, but he is also patient when deciding whether to keep or pitch the ball.

A roll out passer who is also a good roll out rusher scares the bejesus out of a defensive coordinator, and Tommy is definitely that guy.

He was that guy for the first four games this year, when he was the #6 most prolific passer in the NCAA.

The last two games.....I honestly don't know. I don't think the defenses were that much better. I won't blame the weather. It seems to me like the guy went rogue, and decided that every play deserved a chance to make Sports Center.

When your declared #1 running back and offensive line is producing an average of 8.9 yards per carry....you keep pounding the rock.

Stay committed to the running game. Nebraska did this for 3 plus quarters against Minnesota, until Langsdorf resorted back to his pass, pass, pass crap in the 4th quarter.

• Fire 2

Yes weather plays a part......Don't tell the Packers that though.......

The game has changed. Yes running the ball still wins games, but you have to have a threat of a passing game. You have to have deep threats, mid range threats, and over alll threats that hit home runs on a moments notice.

Watch other teams play football. Those who do run, have Heisman candidates at RB. They have NFL draft pick material on the lines. Watch, LSU will play a defense that can stop the run, and then watch them get embarrassed because they don't have a passing game. You saw what Ole-Miss did to Alabama via the passing game and run game, and shut down Bamas run game for the most part, forcing a QB to win it.

The logic of running the ball is still the number one thing to do to win. Having a balanced team is what wins championships at any level or conference in College football. Bring back LP or Ahman, or Rozier and you might be able to just run the ball and win games. I dont see those types of RB's in the current lineup or on the roster. Ameer was a great back, and they won games thru his 3 years of playing the main RB. Since Ahman, I would say that Ameer was the best since him. Talent people, talent wins games as much as coaching does in this age of ball. You got to have horses to go and win games 50-49, and win games that are 14-13. With the old systems, we haven't been able to win playing either way. Callahan could score on nobodies and got scored on by somebodies. Pelini offenses could score 20 points on good top 25 teams and couldn't score 35 or more on crappy teams. The last few years allowed more points each and every year he stayed here. The game has changed, you have to able to score in the 50's sometimes to win and sometimes you have to win games that are scored in the teens. Regardless talent is the key for success. That starts this off season with recruiting. Make your judgments next year and the year after if you want to judge the current staff. This season isn't enough to make anykind of decisions on what we have seen. At the best this team would be 3-3 under any circumstances. No matter who the coaching staff is. I truly believe in this theory. Now if Riley next year at this point is 2-4, and lost some games in the same manner, I would say theres no chance for improvement. At this point, a coaching change will completely send this program in a tailspin, and it won't recover. It might end up on the same level as Iowa St or Texas Tech.

This. You've nailed it, and thanks for your post.

When your declared #1 running back and offensive line is producing an average of 8.9 yards per carry....you keep pounding the rock.

Stay committed to the running game. Nebraska did this for 3 plus quarters against Minnesota, until Langsdorf resorted back to his pass, pass, pass crap in the 4th quarter.

he figured with a 16 point lead no one would notice. "But mike i have these new route concepts i really wanted to fit in". Ge couldnt help himself.

he figured with a 16 point lead no one would notice. "But mike i have these new route concepts i really wanted to fit in". Ge couldnt help himself.

Actually what he really said, was this from the LJS: http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/2015/report-card-nebraska-minnesota/article_3343a4fe-a976-5fb1-b2a5-db025dbea05f.html

And why did Langsdorf call for the aforementioned deep pass? Too much time remained, he said, and he didn't want to sit on the lead. "We liked our matchup," Langsdorf said. "We had Alonzo (Moore) again standing on the corner and they had nine people standing in the box. It was going to be a bad run, we took a shot at them."

This quote goes to the fears many Nebraska fans have about how Langsdorf & Riley manage a game. I'll give them both credit, for most of the game against Minnesota they called a very solid game, but when you have a 16 point lead in the 4th quarter, and when your #1 running back is averaging 8.9 yards per carry...you run the ball...

AND YOU RUN THE CLOCK!

Even if they didn't get the first down, Nebraska easily could have ran 2 minutes off the clock during that questionable series. That series didn't cost us the game, but it's similar decisions like the above mentioned quote that cost us the games against BYU & Illinois.

Sometimes there are critical moments in a game where the boys just need to tighten their chin straps and run the ball, even with nine defenders in the box.

• Fire 1

https://twitter.com/OWHJeffSheldon/status/655518679786848257?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Actually what he really said, was this from the LJS: http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/2015/report-card-nebraska-minnesota/article_3343a4fe-a976-5fb1-b2a5-db025dbea05f.html

And why did Langsdorf call for the aforementioned deep pass? Too much time remained, he said, and he didn't want to sit on the lead. "We liked our matchup," Langsdorf said. "We had Alonzo (Moore) again standing on the corner and they had nine people standing in the box. It was going to be a bad run, we took a shot at them."

This quote goes to the fears many Nebraska fans have about how Langsdorf & Riley manage a game. I'll give them both credit, for most of the game against Minnesota they called a very solid game, but when you have a 16 point lead in the 4th quarter, and when your #1 running back is averaging 8.9 yards per carry...you run the ball...

AND YOU RUN THE CLOCK!

Even if they didn't get the first down, Nebraska easily could have ran 2 minutes off the clock during that questionable series. That series didn't cost us the game, but it's similar decisions like the above mentioned quote that cost us the games against BYU & Illinois.

Sometimes there are critical moments in a game where the boys just need to tighten their chin straps and run the ball, even with nine defenders in the box.

Yep. They don't like the running game and they have no concept of clock management. Total embarrassment.

Thankfully the sun was shining today.

Yep. They don't like the running game and they have no concept of clock management. Total embarrassment.

I never said they didn't like the running game. I do think they need to commit to it more, and I think they did a much better job of that against Minnesota. I also never said that "they had no concept of clock management", but they do need to improve in this area. No one can deny that is one of the main factors as to why we lost to BYU & Illinois.

That series in the 4th quarter vs Minnesota wasn't an embarrassment per se, but it was concerning. After watching the game today I do think these coaches are starting to get it. That was reflective in the more 60-40% run/pass ratio with their play calls.

So yes the sun was shining today, and hopefully tomorrow. All we need is 3 more wins to get those crucial bowl practices.

https://twitter.com/OWHJeffSheldon/status/655518679786848257?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

AND YOU RUN THE CLOCK!

lord. I was makin a joke. But he basically said exactly that. God help me.

I never said they didn't like the running game. I do think they need to commit to it more, and I think they did a much better job of that against Minnesota. I also never said that "they had no concept of clock management", but they do need to improve in this area. No one can deny that is one of the main factors as to why we lost to BYU & Illinois.

That series in the 4th quarter vs Minnesota wasn't an embarrassment per se, but it was concerning. After watching the game today I do think these coaches are starting to get it. That was reflective in the more 60-40% run/pass ratio with their play calls.

So yes the sun was shining today, and hopefully tomorrow. All we need is 3 more wins to get those crucial bowl practices.

Sorry, wasn't trying to put words in your mouth, just playing off of your post.

lord. I was makin a joke. But he basically said exactly that. God help me.

My apologies. I tend to take some things too seriously sometimes. I went back and re-read your post, and it was clearly misinterpreted by me when I first read it.

Again my sincere apologies.

Yup, and had Minny recovered that onside kick...we would have been pulling an infamous Yogi Berra quote out.

And it's kind of funny/sad/amazing that fans have been crying for Langsdorf to pound the rock and get the RBs on track by giving them multiple carries (instead of jerking them out and using 4 or 5 of them), and he failed to listen. As soon as he got the freakin' memo, Nebraska was in command of a game for three quarters until Langsdorf started derping things up again.

Riley's and Langsdorf's offensive philosophy, pass to set up the run, just isn't going to work right now, and will become a liability in games like Illinois when passing is taken off the table. Frankly, considering how often this philosophy could become a liability this far north...

Look--if Riley and Langsdorf would just own up, adjust their philosophy and expectations to the reality of the roster they inherited and the realities of playing in the B1G (something they stated at the beginning they would do....you know, because of experience)...they could actually carry this team to where folks want to go...in spite of Banker and his Matador Secondary Coverage scheme on defense.

It's just too bad for the kids they're coaching that it took seven games into the season for Riley and Langsdorf to realize this.