The Model for Success at Nebraska: A Strong Physical Running Game

The Duke

If they don't switch their philosophy to a more 60/40 run-pass ratio or even a 70/30 run-pass ratio, it's hard for me to see this staff being here for only 2 or 3 years, and that hurts to say because I really like everyone on this staff.

Bravo and +1. I don't share your affinity for the staff, but I agree they will not make it here with their philosophy.

If Callahan's teams proved passing wouldn't work, which by the way they didn't (it was the defense)...

Against good teams, his offense wilted.

I'll never forget that USC game. I thought Callahan was waaay to conservative as far as throwing the ball I remember especially with all the success Zach was having that year in the air. We had no chance from the get go.

If Riley can get his QB here it will do wonders. Hopefully O'Brien is that QB.

MR has produced some good NFL talent QBs and those QBs did even better in college. I anxiously await his QB to arrive on scene.

Once we get the QB, we will get the WRs. Build a line around the QB and a RB is certain to come.

I agree, smash mouth football is Nebraska's DNA. But given the right pieces this could work.

No matter what, we just need a strong big line. Lets invade the recruiting grounds Wisconsin goes for to get their Oline.

• Fire 1

Duke - I couldn't agree more. Excellent topic which I have brought up many tiimes. In my opinion, NU will NOT get to national title prominence again until it goes back to adopting Osborne's blueprint. I've given reasons in other posts, but here's another thing....I think a lot of fans have lowered their standards to where they think about "winning the Big 10 championship", or even worse, "winning the West division". Who cares? I couldn't give a damn about a conference or divisional championship. Means nothing to me. Just tells me you outplayed 6 or 13 other teams. What I care about is NATIONAL prominence, being #1 again, being taken seriously (feared) by other teams, being physical and running teams over.

Having a cookie cutter passing offense is Ok for guys like Riley who never won anything, but to get back to winning NATIONAL TITLES and being in the hunt for them year after year (like today's Alabama's, Ohio State's, etc.) requires a SOLID running game, and for that...Riley is NOT the answer. He MIGHT get NU to 6-6, 7-5, maybe even 8-4 on a good year, which maybe for some fans is good enough. But he will NEVER get NU to national titles (or even in the conversation of one).

Undone - you're right.....what one personally wants to see run as far as offensive philosophy and what could actually work can be entirely two different things. A lot of fans like passing. I hate it. I despise it. To me, it is WUSSY football. It's throwing the ball over someone's head so they can't get to it (basically, monkey in the middle). I'd rather run a team over, physically beat them up. With rule changes over the years, they have geared the game more to passing and less to running. They've taken the brutality of the game away. Osborne had it right...EVERYONE (including the QB) blocks, everyone (including QBs) runs (and no slides or running out of bounds). Qb's should not be given any special status when it comes to the BRUTALITY of the game...they should hit and be hit just like everyone else. No prima donnas.

So since you mentioned preference, I will say my preference is to run the ball (80/20 ratio or higher, 90/10 even). But to do that you need the right coach who knows the ins and outs of the running game...and Riley is not that coach. He is not a run-the-ball TECHNICIAN. So we are stuck with Riley and his West Coast wussy throw the ball around offense, which, like I said, will absolutely not bring NU back to national titles, hence, it is not good enough for me. I won't settle for "winning the West division". I want PANCAKES. When is the last time you heard the word Pancakes? Offensive linemen used to compete to see who could get the most pancakes in a game. They took pride in it. They enjoyed firing off the line to smash the defensive linemen into the ground on run plays. What happens on a pass play? Offensive linemen BACKPEDAL, forming a nice cushy pocket for the QB (in other words, very passive, and defintiely not gonna lead to any pancakes).

So to sum up....my preference...run the ball. What will bring Nebraska back to the promised land of national title?....run the ball (but only with the right coaches who know what they're doing and are true technicians in rushing attack philosophy and execution).

There is much to love about this brand of football - Husker teams of yesteryear called it "smashmouth" football. Dominate the line of scrimmage and pound the defense into submission. You throw over the top 6 to 8 times a half just to scorch 'em with a big ugly tight end lumbering down the field as little DBs slip and fall off his back for 29 yards into the dreadful 4 down territory inside the opponents' 40. From there, the opponent's defenders knew what was coming - more tough running backs and hard hitting fullbacks pounding away. It was brutal at times - yes. The toughest team won 90% of the time.

Want to know how much Nebraska fans love this brand of football...smash-mouth football? Want to know how much they miss those tough running, physical types of running games?

Just listen to the crowd on Saturday after Janovich's 55-yard touchdown run.

This is just one example of what Nebraska football is, what it was...

.... and what it should be.

This was the loudest I've ever heard the crowd since the kick that beat Colorado.

The band even sounded powerful after that run, like a FB was playing the trumpet too...

But alas, all that for NOTHING. We go back to bad defense and Riley-ball. Thanks coaching staff.

Seriously? What is soo hard about breaking the huddle with an Ozigbo, Janovich and 3WRs, line up in an I-Slot, and do three running plays to secure the game? I mean, Green Bay uses that formation to perfection, because it dictates terms to the defense. If they come with a base 4-3, then play action pass. If they go with a Nickel or Dime, then do any series of FB or I-Lead runs? Yet that simple formation and all it's possibilities is light years beyond this staff. Not only that, but others here have mentioned that we don't drive to get pancakes anymore, and that's completely true. It's a testament to the softness of this team, that they don't DRIVE BLOCK anymore, they simply do that Influence blocking even when running inside zone plays, and we act surprised when those running plays get blown up. Or we do a whole buncha motion and shifting to run a lame Jet Sweep that gets strung out for no gain.

We may very well go 2-10 this year. I feel for the players because they are stuck with this worthless staff, and they are doing the best they can. I mean, I even feel bad for Tommy "I never met a bad deep ball I didn't like" Armstrong. He's had to endure Beck's soft East-West offense, only to be saddled with LangsDORKs nightmare. And what more can be said about Janovich? A GREAT FULLBACK, in the light of past Husker greats and he was completely phased out during the Beck era, and finally gets some love only to get regressed under this coaching regime.

Think about how much talent we've wasted with all these loser coaching staffs and OCs. Helu, Burkhead, Suh, Crick, Lavonte David, Janovich, ... the list just goes on and on. Can't tell me we haven't had the talent to win the Nebraska Way.

It's funny to see the armchair keyboard warriors argue against TO ideas. smh

Other big reasons that system in the OP works better here is because of the walkon program and the homegrown talent. And, it's easier to recruit the types of players needed to run that system at Nebraska than to try and compete for recruits with all the warm, sunny teams.

I certainly don't expect Riley to even consider changing. Something about leopards and old dogs and spots and new tricks.

If it were so easy to duplicate what TO did, why wasn't Solich successful? Why haven't other teams run his system?

Under Osborne, we had coordinators and coaches who'd been here together for many years. We had a system that developed all-American linemen who taught and developed the underclassmen to replace them once they graduated. TO finally recruited speed on defense and that's when it all came together.

Riley has his system, we need to give him time to implement it.

Solich had six years. Three times he finished ranked in the top 10 (2nd once), played in the MNC once. Twice he finished in the top 20. Only once did he finish out of the rankings. That sounds pretty good compared to 2-4. Cally had 2 out of 4 losing seasons.

Good Grief gents: Smashmouth football was a by-product of having NFL caliber offensive line. Keep talking about the golden era of NU football, but reality gents, reality.

How many of these linemen will get drafted? How many have been drafted in the last 12 years?

Smashmouth football would be great, but you have to have the blockers.

Listened to 590am this afternoon. They pointed out on the last offensive series against Wisky that on 2nd down Cross ran right when the design of the play was left, where he had Jank, and linemen pulling to run the ball in that direction. It was blocked wonderfully, accept our RB went right where the whole defense was. Include that when bitching about this team, include that. Was that coaching or was that players not knowing left from right!

Sounds like piss poor coaching. The same sloppiness that gets you to the leading position in penalties.

This West Coast offense crap doesn't work at Nebraska. It was proven with Callahan and it's being proven again now. The more I listen to Riley, the more I feel like he's just telling fans what they want to hear. Then, he goes out and does something totally different.

Why won't it work at Nebraska? Is our field shaped different than other fields in the Big 10? Is our turf specifically designed for a running game?

To run a successful offense you have to have proper coaching and talent. Osborne was successful because he was a great coach and developed players to run his system. Not every coach can duplicate that. When we hired Riley, we knew what kind of system he wanted to run. It's going to take time to implement.

Actually if you look back or grew up watching Osborne over his entire career, you would see he changed his scheme. His offense in the 80's was much different then the 90's.

Other big reasons that system in the OP works better here is because of the walkon program and the homegrown talent. And, it's easier to recruit the types of players needed to run that system at Nebraska than to try and compete for recruits with all the warm, sunny teams.

I certainly don't expect Riley to even consider changing. Something about leopards and old dogs and spots and new tricks.

If it were so easy to duplicate what TO did, why wasn't Solich successful? Why haven't other teams run his system?

Under Osborne, we had coordinators and coaches who'd been here together for many years. We had a system that developed all-American linemen who taught and developed the underclassmen to replace them once they graduated. TO finally recruited speed on defense and that's when it all came together.

Solich was successful. He had more success in his first 6 years than TO did, and they both took over National Championship programs.

Sort of spits in the face of Riley's apprehension to not want to run Armstrong...basically Riley's just coddling QBs to not be physical and to just have them stand back in the pocket and gunsling all day. Wussy football at its best.

Edited by Thanks_Tom RR
Basically the same topic

Solich was successful. He had more success in his first 6 years than TO did, and they both took over National Championship programs.

True. But over time the talent was dropping off. Why hasn't he been able to build a juggernaut at Ohio? If the system is all that, he should be running roughshod over the MAC.

My point is: If it were so easy to just run the ball and win, lots of teams would be doing it. You have to have the talent and the size on the offensive line to be able to impose your will. Nebraska doesn't have to be a running team to be successful. Any kind offense can work here if you have the talent and coaching. Right now we don't have the talent and the jury is out on the coaching.

Lord knows I love a power run game, but with that being said you have to be completely committed to it. You have to be willing to have keep going to it when it isn't working. I am old enough to remember that it didn't always work at Nebraska against good teams, and I always remember people grumbling about not being able to pass more.

You have to be committed to it. Iowa vs. Illinois is a great example of being committed to the run. Did any of you watch the game or did you just see Canzeri's stat line. Forty two carries for something like 254 yards. Most would say that was a great day rushing. But at one point in the first half he was like 17 carries for 37 yards. Iowa stayed committed to it and it paid off in the end.

Are you willing to stay that committed to the run? I have sat in Memorial Stadium for 30 years and would have heard a lot of grumbling if NU and its RB had 36 yards on 17 carries and they kept doing that.

The power run game is harder to do than most of you think it is.

• Fire 1

True. But over time the talent was dropping off. Why hasn't he been able to build a juggernaut at Ohio? If the system is all that, he should be running roughshod over the MAC.

My point is: If it were so easy to just run the ball and win, lots of teams would be doing it. You have to have the talent and the size on the offensive line to be able to impose your will. Nebraska doesn't have to be a running team to be successful. Any kind offense can work here if you have the talent and coaching. Right now we don't have the talent and the jury is out on the coaching.

Nebraska =/= Ohio. But Frank did do incredibly well at Ohio compared to their past history. He's easily the best coach they ever had.

You're simplifying it too much. It's not just running the ball. Read the OP. There's a lot more to it than that.

Nebraska =/= Ohio. But Frank did do incredibly well at Ohio compared to their past history. He's easily the best coach they ever had.

You're simplifying it too much. It's not just running the ball. Read the OP. There's a lot more to it than that.

The OP says the only way to win at Nebraska is to run TO's system. Nebraska isn't some special snowflake that can only run one type of offense. My argument is we can run the WCO, or whatever system and be successful. It just requires talent and coaching.

The OP says the only way to win at Nebraska is to run TO's system. Nebraska isn't some special snowflake that can only run one type of offense. My argument is we can run the WCO, or whatever system and be successful. It just requires talent and coaching.

System=/=Offense. System means his entire philosophy.

Nebraska is unique. TO fully took advantage of the unique attributes of Nebraska with his system. A WCO could work if all the stars aligned perfectly, but you're swimming upstream trying to implement that type of offense. It doesn't fit in well with TO's entire philosophy.

• Fire 1