Pick Six Podcast - Oct 14 (another good Sam McKewon rant)

Kernal

Another week, another podcast with Sam McKewon and Jon Nyatawa. This one seemed to start off a little slower, but they do a midseason review of the team, Husker fan support, preview the Minnesota matchup, and more.

I thought this was a good rant by McKewon about the interaction of fans, message boards, the media, and players (at about the 40:00 mark).

It’s a striking difference. Nebraska has excellent, consistent fans. And, you know, what frustrates me, and I see this on Twitter and social media a lot: again- media people!- will say: “Boy, these four fans that tweeted this guy… wow! Nebraska’s fans are just…”

No they’re not. It’s the internet. It is how the internet works.

If you don’t want to take the time to understand the context of our age and social media, and how the internet works, and the effect that it has on people: Don’t bother to comment because you don’t know what you’re talking about if you think that seven to 100 people on a message board, or whatever- and understand that there might be 1200 people looking at a thread, but only 15 commenting on it- and if you think that represents the majority of the fan base, you’re nuts!

And there are people who cover the team, who buy hook-line-and-sinker into that, and they shouldn’t. You’ve gotta understand when you cover this: it’s larger than football. And those fans in the stadium… most of those people absolutely adore Nebraska, and they don’t even think about going on a message board.

We have to stop defining ourselves by a handful of naysayers… as fans- I’m not a fan- but the players have to stop thinking that that’s what represents the fan base. And hopefully they will. Because I know this coaching staff doesn’t care about it.

Pick Six Podcast - Oct 14

• Fire 2

He's not a fan of our defensive scheme.

Is anyone?

Some people think we just need better players. While you can always apply that theory, Sam's take was that our secondary scheme is basically content to allow 5-7 yard passes with zero contention. The problem is, we've been having such bad gaps in coverage (ala Miami 1st quarter) that it's been 15-20 yard passes being completed easily. He also said our defensive gameplan against Wisconsin was bizarre because UW has the worst receiving corp in the conference, and one of the worst in the entire country, and yet we were giving them 10 yard cushions. For playing a soft zone, we're giving up a inordinate amount of PI calls.

He said what many of us have been saying, we need to play press more.

Is anyone?

Some people think we just need better players. While you can always apply that theory, Sam's take was that our secondary scheme is basically content to allow 5-7 yard passes with zero contention. The problem is, we've been having such bad gaps in coverage (ala Miami 1st quarter) that it's been 15-20 yard passes being completed easily. He also said our defensive gameplan against Wisconsin was bizarre because UW has the worst receiving corp in the conference, and one of the worst in the entire country, and yet we were giving them 10 yard cushions. For playing a soft zone, we're giving up a inordinate amount of PI calls.

Not to mention the TD last weekend. Even the commentator stated that Kalu(i believe it was) was 10 yards off the LoS when they were at the 6 friggin yard line. How do you play that far off a receiver when they are pretty much at the goal line? I was dumbfounded.

Is anyone?

Yep it really makes no sense. Not only did he say that Wisconsin has the worst receiving corp in the conference, but maybe in the entire nation. Saying they MIGHT be able to start at Kansas. I just don't understand why they want a scheme which allows the quarterbacks to easily complete these 5-7 yard slant plays. You're basically giving them a first down almost every time. Then Sam brought up another good point, if you're going to play that way you need to be able to force turnovers....something we simply aren't doing. So if you aren't forcing turnovers, and you can't stop the pass what exactly are you doing out there? I know we're stopping the run, but that means nothing if Stave and that receiving corp are able to throw 320+ on us. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see Minnesota throw for 250 on us, and if anyone hasn't seen Minnesota's offense this year, that's equivalent to about 1,000 Tom Brady yards

Is anyone?

This would also help give our blitz packages more time to hit home. Make the different positions help each other out.

So I listened to this last night on the elliptical. What saunders says an understatement. Sam seemed to rail for 5-10 minutes about how horrible our defensive scheme is. And he basically called Wisconsin's WR/TE crew the worst in the Power 5 conferences. And yet we continued to allow them to beat us and for Stave to put up 300+.

• Fire 1

So I listened to this last night on the elliptical. What saunders says an understatement. Sam seemed to rail for 5-10 minutes about how horrible our defensive scheme is. And he basically called Wisconsin's WR/TE crew the worst in the Power 5 conferences. And yet we continued to allow them to beat us and for Stave to put up 300+.

NU has big, physical CB's that should be good enough at bump and run. NU has the athletes to throw off opponents passing game at the LOS. But, Banker/Stewart puts those guys 10 yards deep, the WR's get a free release to go anywhere they want to. The short passes are open all day long and the DB's get in trail position on every deep ball. The scheme in the secondary is baffling.

Yeah, I was trying to be nice. We're just doing alot of baffling things on D.