McKewon: Langsdorf, testing ingredients, seeks right recipe

zoogs

McKewon/OWH: Offensive coordinator Langsdorf, testing ingredients, still seeks right recipe for Nebraska offense

I do like the executive chef analogy here -- with Nebraska serving as the "swank" restaurant.

You really have to look at why, Langsdorf said. How can we put the players in better situations or a better situation to be able to execute?

There's a good, frank, and thorough discussion from here. No less than what I've come to expect. Worthy read, and a good discussion. What is going wrong with the offense right now?

• Fire 1

“I think his best routes are on the run,” Langsdorf said. “When we’ve been able to cut an edge and get him outside with a clean look, I think he’s been very sharp.”
In the pocket, Armstrong hasn’t seemed so sharp,

Tommy's ability to throw on the run is a blessing to us. There are a LOT of times when he gets flushed out of the pocket. Nearly every time he steps back to pass, it seems like. And really, it seems like Tommy is about as accurate on the run as he is sitting in the pocket.

• Fire 1

“I think his best routes are on the run,” Langsdorf said. “When we’ve been able to cut an edge and get him outside with a clean look, I think he’s been very sharp.”
In the pocket, Armstrong hasn’t seemed so sharp,

Tommy's ability to throw on the run is a blessing to us. There are a LOT of times when he gets flushed out of the pocket. Nearly every time he steps back to pass, it seems like. And really, it seems like Tommy is about as accurate on the run as he is sitting in the pocket.

There are also many times where I think he would do himself - and the o-line - a big favor if he steps up in the pocket.

I'm sure you've seen me say it before, but all the ingredients are in place for a good run game. We've seen speed option once or twice, and combined with Jano's belly option that's two of the ingredients for a classic triple option. Even if you dont run an actual triple option, if you call the FB trap followed immediately by that speed option, we can throw off a defense pretty well.

We've seen a Power O off tackle run go for good yards, add in a counter trey for balance and misdirection and we'd be rolling.

I'm kinda ambivalent about the zone runs this year, without a trancendant talent like Abdullah to run them, they aren't as effective.

The passing game, when it's working right, is a thing of beauty. Those first 4 games looked really good. Developing the run game by putting together those plays we've seen that work well, and put a greater emphasis on the run game, and we'll be much better off. If the run game is getting stuffed, well have a good passing game to fall back on, and vice versa.

The run doesn't necessarily set up the pass, and the pass doesn't necessarily set up the run. Rather, the two are complementary parts of an offense, and you need both to be successful. When a defense adjusts to counter the run by stacking the box, that's when you pass. When they try to counter the pass by going with a nickle, dime, or peso formation, it opens up the run game by taking people out of the box. That's why you have to be good at both. And we could be, if we just dedicated ourselves to the run a little more. About 10% more. A 60/40 run to pass ratio would be just about perfect for us I think.

• Fire 1

Let's crank up the Wishbone Offense and relegate the forward pass to a gadget play! chuckleshuffle

Think Barry S is up for a few more years of coaching? I'm game. Or how about this...integrate the forward pass as an active part of the wishbone....go run first, but have a good number of pass plays as part of the package. I know I'm a dreaming old fart, but I've often thought the combination would be deadly. Option and wishbone football got eliminated because it was soooooo run heavy that Ds could key on the run and be right 90% of the time, even if the option was well executed. But have a legit, even if it is limited passing package so that it is more 65/35 run to pass and the D would constantly be guessing. Don't think you can successfully defend both a passing threat and a finely executed option run offense.

For those of you who are unaware of the late 60's to late 70's TO ran a pro style attack. Jerry Tagge-Played some for Green Bay, David Humm-played behind Kenny Stabler in Oakland, Vince Ferragamo-led the Rams to Super Bowl, TO's advice to Riley "run the ball". If Riley and Langsdorf don't let the horse's loose, it could be a long season. Run Tommy in sprint out options with a tailback trailing. Deadly.