T.O./9-game streak

GOAT

I wish TO would have stayed on at least 5 more years. Recruiting would have been better and I suspect we could have won 2 more NC in that time (although it wasn't the coach that fumbled the ball across the end zone line against texas in 1999!)

TO should have stayed on long enough not to leave Frank with mostly older coaches who didn't like to recruit. Frank was hurt by recruiting help, and there was no way he could ask very successful, older coaches to leave.

Seems like the majority of the bashing comes from the younger generation who like to remind everyone how the game has changed since TO's tenure and how the triple-option no longer is effective.

Your posts really do seem like you're a troll account. And your signature image takes the cake.

But tell us, what is your subjective cutoff point for "younger generation," age-wise?

Which of my posts, exactly, would lead you to think this? From the looks of this thread, it appears that there are plenty of others besides myself who feel the same way. Just seems like fans who weren't around (or old enough) for the 3 championships in the 90s are the majority of the ones who seem to quick to doubt.

I wish TO would have stayed on at least 5 more years. Recruiting would have been better and I suspect we could have won 2 more NC in that time (although it wasn't the coach that fumbled the ball across the end zone line against texas in 1999!)

TO should have stayed on long enough not to leave Frank with mostly older coaches who didn't like to recruit. Frank was hurt by recruiting help, and there was no way he could ask very successful, older coaches to leave.

That I can agree with. OR, work it out so the majority of the old ones would retire at the same time so Frank could hire his own staff.

That I can agree with. OR, work it out so the majority of the old ones would retire at the same time so Frank could hire his own staff.

The problem with that was Frank was never a great recruiter himself. So he would have had to hire a bunch of great recruiters to avoid what happened under his watch.

The problem with that was Frank was never a great recruiter himself. So he would have had to hire a bunch of great recruiters to avoid what happened under his watch.

ANNNDDDD.....the problem with hiring great recruiters as assistants is???

Even if Frank was a fantastic recruiter, it's not going to work if the assistants are too old to do it well. The HC is only allowed to meet with the recruits a certain amount. It's the assistants that need to be working hard recruiting.

When he cleaned house and brought in an entirely new staff, there was an immediate upgrade in interest amongst higher rated players. We never were able to see how that would turn out.

Seems like the majority of the bashing comes from the younger generation who like to remind everyone how the game has changed since TO's tenure and how the triple-option no longer is effective.

Who ran the triple option?

Oklahoma under Switzer

Switzer ran the wishbone at OU, not the triple option.

• Fire 1

jesus. When georgia tech surpasses us and accomplishes what we want on a consistent basis, then yes, ill surrender that the triple option is still effective.

And when you can show us how Osborne used the triple option as his base identity, then well agree that that topics actually relevant.

I think TO saw the writing on the wall. The Big 12 all voting against us, plus his promise to Frank. I know he seriously considered Michigan State at one point.

I won't say what would or would not have happened, but I think it's awesome he went out on top instead of fizzling out like Bowden in that awkward "we can't fire him but things are getting bad and his age is a recruiting liability...." phase.

I'm not saying that would have happened but I'm glad it didn't.

And how cool would it have been to see TO have the read option in his arsenal?

Not to mention, sit down and watch games from the 97 season. Youll see Osborne already using the spread concepts that we see almost on sn exclusive basis today. Osborne was using spread option before college football even knew what it was

Solich is the one that hinkered it back down and made the conventional option his go to identity. And that progression centered around the 4 year presence of Crouch and the need to get him the ball. Options. Qb runs. Etc.

• Fire 1

Your posts really do seem like you're a troll account. And your signature image takes the cake.

But tell us, what is your subjective cutoff point for "younger generation," age-wise?

Which of my posts, exactly, would lead you to think this? From the looks of this thread, it appears that there are plenty of others besides myself who feel the same way. Just seems like fans who weren't around (or old enough) for the 3 championships in the 90s are the majority of the ones who seem to quick to doubt.

This one, for example. Where you didn't answer his simple question.

But look how he did them. That was my point. Using a lit of spread concepts.

I think it was Frost where we first saw tje qb follow

My mainpoint was that theres this wrong perception that osborne ran the optio. 50 timesa game. That simply wasnt the case. And that it was Solich who began to overuse it.

Agree, my point was that TO used Frost very similarly to how Solich ran Crouch as far as numbers of QB runs. Solich over used it instead of moving away from it over time. However, he did have an awesome running QB.

There are some fans thst act like Solich all of a sudden came up with all of these constant QB runs. Fact is TO had started in that direction in 97.