RUN THE BALL!!!

Mavric

Not sure which Alabama team you are watching Stumpy. They most certainly had a elite running game. They pounded people all year in the ground. I believe Henry had 4 or 5 games in a row rushing for over 200 yards. Alabama was able to throw for a lot of big plays because of their running game. Like I said earlier it's pretty easy to hit guys running WIDE OPEN down field. Something that could have benefitted tommy this year instead of asking him to throw it 40 times a game.

In the last 4 years, Alabama has finished ahead of us in rushing once and that was last year. They ended the season 32nd in NCAA while we finished 52nd. They had 642 carries for 2999 yards in 15 games. We had 496 carries for 2340 yards in 13 games. That does not scream elite running game to me.

I believe we have the staff to get back to the top tier.

Based on?

1) Improved recruiting class last year

2) early signs that this class could be special

3) head coach that acts more like a CEO

4) assistants across the board that have experience at a high level and or success

GBR!!!

I don't know if we have better coaching. Was referring to Osborne being about to out coach teams with more talent. Also you do understand that it's easier to recruit to a one Dimensional Offense. You can focus on recruiting more linemen that fit your system that may not be 4 stars.

agree that it is easy to recruit that way, however it is hard to tell an opponent that you are going to run thru a certain gap and do it unless you are far superior in talent then them. I think sometimes guys on here think it should be like the old days playing KU that we would joke with the dline by telling them what we were going to do and then turn around and do it.

• Fire 1

So a back with 395 carries for 2,219 yards with 5.6 per carry and 28 touchdowns isn't elite? Or having your top two backs average over 5.5 yards a carry still isn't elite?

it's seems like now you are saying they have 1 elite running back - that is not the same as a team that is elite at running. However you keep going - it's fun to see you continue to fire.

So the two don't go together? Explain how you can have one without the other? Not to mention over the last 5 years the have turned out several top running backs.

It's not that hard to explain. You can have an elite running game with a decent to good (non-elite) RB if your O-line is dominant. That's why Nebraska could put in their 2nd, 3rd and 4th string RB in the 90s and still get lots of yards. Maybe even 5th. I believe at one point it was Phillips, Benning, Green, Childs, Sims and when Sims was in he got lots of yards.

There are also other skill players besides the RB that usually factor into whether the run game is elite.

• Fire 1

I'm aware of the offensive lines part in a elite running game. I guess if Alabama didn't have a elite running game this year then I must be missing something. They ran the ball egainst everybody all year. To the point where people stacked the box on them. Opening up their passing game. Part of being a elite running team is commitment to it. If you guys can't see that Alabamas success over the last 5 or 6 years is based on defense and running the football you aren't ever going to get it. Spin it however you want but the numbers back me up.

• Fire 1

I'm aware of the offensive lines part in a elite running game. I guess if Alabama didn't have a elite running game this year then I must be missing something. They ran the ball egainst everybody all year. To the point where people stacked the box on them. Opening up their passing game. Part of being a elite running team is commitment to it. If you guys can't see that Alabamas success over the last 5 or 6 years is based on defense and running the football you aren't ever going to get it. Spin it however you want but the numbers back me up.

I don't know what this reply even is. I was responding to one comment you made, which I quoted.

• Fire 2

I think we can all agree that Nebraska ended up too reliant on the pass this year.

But the point remains that Alabama and other elite teams do a lot of things well, including passing the ball 30 times a game and delivering stalwart defense to go along with that punishing run game we all want.

In other words, EVERYTHING on an elite team is elite, including the discipline that limits turnovers and penalties.

I think your assessment of Tom Osborne is a bit skewed as well. Osborne did not out-coach teams with more talent. Quite the opposite. Tom Osborne built some incredibly strong, lineman oriented run-first offenses that could simply overpower the 9 less-talented teams on the schedule. When he went up against talented teams -- and clever coaches -- Tom got handed his two or three losses, some of them embarrassments. Osborne teams generally did not adjust well when its bread and butter plays failed to work. In the early 80s and mid 90s, Tom Osborne teams were loaded with talent on both sides of the ball, worked the scheme perfectly and those teams cemented his legacy. But for most of his career, Tom was not known as a "big game" coach and Nebraska's one-dimensional offense was exposed in those nationally televised games that I remember all too well.

As GBRFAN aptly pointed out, everyone would love to have a dominant running game, but it's never easy when you announce your intentions and limit your options.

• Fire 2

What do you consider "elite"? If I understand your meaning, maybe I will understand your reasoning and thought on the subject.

Alabama might not have been "elite" at passing but they were very efficient at it. The same could be said about their running game.

Nebraska had an elite rushing attack during the 90's. We didn't have an elite passing attack but we had an efficient one. Tom knew when to call a pass play and 9 out of 10 times, it worked perfectly.

So let me ask you this Guy. If you could choose between Osborne and Riley to coach the team next year who would you take? I also disagree with your statement on elite teams. Alabama was not a elite passing team this year. Nebraska never had a elite passing game in 93 to 97.

Tom is nearly 80 and I don't think he could handle the daily grind.

I have no idea how you define "elite" in terms of passing. Alabama threw the ball 30 times a game with a 67% completion average, 22 touchdowns and 8 interceptions. They ran 42/30 run/pass split, and averaged more yards passing than running. On a third and one in the fourth quarter of the national championship game where they were ahead, Alabama called a pass play to seal the game.

They passed to set up the run. They ran to set up the pass. They had an elite defense.

Alabama is the definition of an elite team. They ran essentially the same play calling scheme that some folks on here deride as "balanced" or "multiple" but executed it with better talent, fewer mistakes and the kind of defense Nebraska can't rely on.

If you'd like us to run the ball more, fine, but you don't need to make these kind of stretches trying to prove that good teams don't pass.

I've never said good teams don't pass. Those are the words you try to put in my mouth. My stance is that you need to be a team that is run first and stays committed to running the ball. Like Alabama. If you look at their stats they are pretty close to 60/40 run pass. That is a run first team. Balanced is 50/50 and the numbers show that it isn't the most successful way to win championship.