OWH: 1995 Nebraska national champions still lining up for each other

Kernal

Great story from the OWH about the 1995 reunion last night. Especially Christian Peter's story about McBride throwing his false teeth at him. :D

Link here.

[Christian Peter's] purpose here isn’t to grind over the present, it’s to embrace the past. As a 20-year-old, you don’t realize what you’re achieving, Peter says. You don’t realize the impact it has on fans. On history.

That’s why the bonds are even stronger now. If you were in the room Friday night, Peter says, you understood why Nebraska went 60-3. You could feel it.

• Fire 3

Here's another account of the events from Randy York at Huskers.com.

Veland realizes Friday night could be the last time to have such a reunion. “I wanted it to be a memorable moment,” he said. “What meant the most to me was reminding everyone that we believed in ourselves, we believed in our coaches and we believed in our brothers. That was big because family has always stood out to me when we came here.

"When I talk to people about my experience at Nebraska, it always comes back to family. That’s what we were. We epitomized it. Of course, we loved what we accomplished but the journey was more important. It was four years of an experience that we shared and believed in. We all had each other’s back and believed in each other. That’s why we were successful. If we didn’t have that, there’s no way we would have accomplished what we did.

My bolding.

This is something I've been thinking about with our current team: They just don't seem very close. That could just be my perception, because I'm not down there with them. But just by watching them play, most of them don't seem to be playing for anything bigger than themselves. They seem to play out of obligation or duty, instead of love. It's too bad if that's the case.

Great story from the OWH about the 1995 reunion last night. Especially Christian Peter's story about McBride throwing his false teeth at him. :D

Link here.

[Christian Peter's] purpose here isn’t to grind over the present, it’s to embrace the past. As a 20-year-old, you don’t realize what you’re achieving, Peter says. You don’t realize the impact it has on fans. On history.

That’s why the bonds are even stronger now. If you were in the room Friday night, Peter says, you understood why Nebraska went 60-3. You could feel it.

Fabulous article about THE GREATEST team in College Football History.

I about spilled my morning coffee reading the story about McBride's teeth! I had never heard that story before.

• Fire 1

Link here.

Fabulous article about THE GREATEST team in College Football History.

I about spilled my morning coffee reading the story about McBride's teeth! I had never heard that story before.

Me neither. It was a great story.

And it's nice to read Christian has grown up into a responsible adult. :D

My favorite part is when Osborne says "if we'd had instant replay, you'd have won three in a row." My jaw absolutely dropped.

Yeah. You always knew he "knew" that. But I don't recall him ever publicly question the outcome. He always had too much sense of decorum.

You’ve probably heard the one about (Christian) Peter’s pregame speech at Michigan State, when he busted a green Christmas ornament against his forehead. It fired up the team. It also punctured his skin.
Center Aaron Graham tried to wipe blood off Peter’s face. Christian grabbed the towel, threw it down and ran out of the locker room. NU won 50-10.

Ha ha! And I always though Jason was the crazy one! :lol:

You’ve probably heard the one about (Christian) Peter’s pregame speech at Michigan State, when he busted a green Christmas ornament against his forehead. It fired up the team. It also punctured his skin.
Center Aaron Graham tried to wipe blood off Peter’s face. Christian grabbed the towel, threw it down and ran out of the locker room. NU won 50-10.

Ha ha! And I always though Jason was the crazy one! :lol:

Christian was the crazy one. Jason was the one who (allegedly) pleasured himself with a hot piece of liver and was forced to miss the 1994 Kansas State game due to a "groin" injury.

The contrast of then vs now could not be any greater. I will love the day when we Husker fans can point with pride to something that occurred NOW vs 20 years ago.

Who would have thought in 1995 or 1997 or even 1999 (really TO's dominant team - being coached by Frank) that we would not win another conf championship, much less a NC to this point. It will take a special coach and a special group of players to get us back on that level.