We're going to run when we want to

Pre-Monday night football talking about teams running in the league. Carolina clearly at the top with almost 48% (NFL does pass more i.e. Riley and Langs?)

Carolina Panthers-Coach Ron Rivera

"We're going to run when we want to. We're going to run when we have to and we're going to run when you know we have to......" I would love for this to be NU's mantra going forward either next season with Riley or a new coach, but impose the will. Run the ball.

Talking heads tonight said the team (Carolina) is built on toughness on both sides of the ball. Imitates the coach.

Under Bo, he was loose cannon, out of control at times (see penalties/lack of technique). Riley is incredibly nice (see a leaderless team with no discipline)

We need to go back to being physical, tough and mean on both sides of the ball.

Just interesting that the ESPN talking heads picked up on the success of the run first mentality and the physical toughness in the trenches and across the team. Also spoke highly of using Cam in the run game.

• Fire 2

I watched that Carolina team last night. Man oh man I wish we had an offensive and defensive system like that. Power running and tough as nails defense. Ron Rivera has done a heck of a job over there in Carolina, I wanted him to coach my Chargers but well....we stuck with Norv Turner. For a college team, Stanford is certainly a team I wish we would emulate.

Honestly? I think most NFL coaches would love to have a punishing ground game, but most NFL defensive coordinators operate "stop-the-run-first" defenses and it just isn't as simple as deciding to run the ball more.

Also, Cam Newton is a legitimate passing threat, who will turn it on big time as needed.

Stanford is a great example of how an offense can/should work, but they've been recruiting with a priority on the offensive trenches for years.

Sorry about your Chargers. They've always had great offenses and tons of talent, but end up with little to show for it at the end of the season. And for some reason Norv Turner always had "fail!" written all over his face.

Forget All-American, I don't see one lineman on offense that is an all-conference player. 1st or 2nd team. How are the Huskers supposed to have success running all of a sudden? I also do not see an all-conference RB on the team sooo.... :dunno

I love a good passing game. But again, the QB play is up and down too often. Nowhere near the level of the top guys in the B1G.

Not going to talk NFL because that's a different game with paid athletes.

• Fire 2

Talking heads tonight said the team (Carolina) is built on toughness on both sides of the ball. Imitates the coach.

Under Bo, he was loose cannon, out of control at times (see penalties/lack of technique). Riley is incredibly nice (see a leaderless team with no discipline)

Boy....it took 7 years for Bo to leave his impression on his players.

Impressive, Mike Riley apparenlty has all Bo's recruits taking on his "leaderless" personality, with no discipline.

Man, that was fast.

:sarcasm

Leaderless Ha! Gimme a f'ing break. Just because he doesn't flare his nostrils, make himself look like a complete jackass on the sideline, and swing his ball cap at the refs, doesn't mean the team is leaderless.

The leaders on this team are Bo's recruits. If we ever make it to a time when Riley's recruits are voted captains in their senior seasons, I can assure you they won't display the discipline and character issues we've seen from our "captains" this season. I'll stamp my word on that.

• Fire 3

Forget All-American, I don't see one lineman on offense that is an all-conference player. 1st or 2nd team. How are the Huskers supposed to have success running all of a sudden? I also do not see an all-conference RB on the team sooo.... :dunno

I love a good passing game. But again, the QB play is up and down too often. Nowhere near the level of the top guys in the B1G.

Nick Bahe on 1620 The Zone kept saying over and over that Nebraska needs to "FIND" their running game. As if it's something you just stumble upon or stub your toe on while wondering around in the dark.

The sh#t doesn't just happen. You don't just FIND it. You've got to have the guys to do it.

If Terrell Newby, Imani Cross, or Nebraska's offensive line looked like a group that was gonna FIND the running game on Saturday, then those people don't know what the f#*k they're talking about. It wasn't happening.

I don't care if BoBo and Beck ran it for a bunch of yards with Ameer Abdullah last year with 2-3 of the worst offensive linemen I've ever seen in this program. Those guys weren't out there Saturday, and the guys that were didn't look much better. News Flash: None of them were named Ameer Abdullah either.

I tried telling people when Abdullah graduated. We were going to hit a point in the near future where we finally appreciated how great that cat really was. Welp folks, it's time you recognize.

• Fire 3

I tried telling people when Abdullah graduated. We were going to hit a point in the near future where we finally appreciated how great that cat really was. Welp folks, it's time you recognize.

For those who may or may not have a short memory, our running game under Pelini was solid before Abdullah. For whatever recruiting failures Pelini had, running back was not one of them.

• Fire 1

For those who may or may not have a short memory, our running game under Pelini was solid before Abdullah. For whatever recruiting failures Pelini had, running back was not one of them.

Didn't say it wasn't good before Abdullah. I'm more concerned about after.

No running back was not a recruiting failure for Pelini, not ever. I can tell you an area that was though. Here's a hint: They block for the running back.

Didn't say it wasn't good before Abdullah. I'm more concerned about after.

No running back was not a recruiting failure for Pelini, not ever. I can tell you an area that was though. Here's a hint: They block for the running back.

I agree.....problem for Riley is Pelini won ball games despite the recruiting failure.

• Fire 1

Impressive, Mike Riley apparenlty has all Bo's recruits taking on his "leaderless" personality, with no discipline.

Man, that was fast.

Leaderless Ha! Gimme a f'ing break. Just because he doesn't flare his nostrils, make himself look like a complete jackass on the sideline, and swing his ball cap at the refs, doesn't mean the team is leaderless.

The leaders on this team are Bo's recruits. If we ever make it to a time when Riley's recruits are voted captains in their senior seasons, I can assure you they won't display the discipline and character issues we've seen from our "captains" this season. I'll stamp my word on that.

that's bullsh#t, speculation.......none of us have any idea what goes on inside this team......show me some proof!

• Fire 1

Nick Bahe on 1620 The Zone kept saying over and over that Nebraska needs to "FIND" their running game. As if it's something you just stumble upon or stub your toe on while wondering around in the dark.

The sh#t doesn't just happen. You don't just FIND it. You've got to have the guys to do it.

If Terrell Newby, Imani Cross, or Nebraska's offensive line looked like a group that was gonna FIND the running game on Saturday, then those people don't know what the f#*k they're talking about. It wasn't happening.

I don't care if BoBo and Beck ran it for a bunch of yards with Ameer Abdullah last year with 2-3 of the worst offensive linemen I've ever seen in this program. Those guys weren't out there Saturday, and the guys that were didn't look much better. News Flash: None of them were named Ameer Abdullah either.

its not just being without AA, the coaches don't believe in it, so why should the players? we, our kids, don't even expect the run to dominate......thanks MR!

• Fire 2

Man, that was fast.

Leaderless not aimed at Riley. No team leadership. Riley is nice and might get less respect from some of the team. The team appears to lack accountability. IMO, this can be attributed to Riley's more passive persona. I.e. Lewis, Collins if true etc.....

Man, that was fast.

Leaderless not aimed at Riley. No team leadership. Riley is nice and might get less respect from some of the team. The team appears to lack accountability. IMO, this can be attributed to Riley's more passive persona. I.e. Lewis, Collins if true etc.....

You could attribute this to Riley, if it hadn't been going on for a decade already.

• Fire 2