Overtime: Purdue Post-game Overreaction

Mavric

So let's think who we could get? You have to be ready (even if you don't pull the trigger). Before today I thought Riley's chance of being gone after year 1 was like 5%. But it took a big jump today. I'd say it's up to 20%. Get blown off the field the last 3 games and it is going to be a 50/50 proposition so you have to be ready. I'll throw these names out there:

Justin Fuente - hot name, likely will be grabbed by one of the open programs.

Scott Frost - his name is always going to be in the discussion. Do I think he is going to win big right away? No, but I just don't think he'd tolerate the crap we have been seeing and I think he'd be seen as a longer term solution, likely doesn't have the crony staff baggage, brings offense and defense back to the style that wins here.

I don't think you could get David Shaw from Stanford (even with big $) but has anyone tried big $ on Dabo Sweeney?

Gus Malzahn - hearing from Auburn fans their season is pretty much done, so what about Malzahn? Most of their fans are saying this is a transition year and they are expected to be good next year. If he fails expectations next year he may be in trouble. I think Malzhan could be pretty good here. He'd be a name to watch if Riley performs poorly again in year 2 and Auburn fans tire of him.

First off, Malzahn isn't going anywhere. He has the #1 dual threat QB committed for 2017 and he is an absolute stud. Auburn is having a down year, but they'll be fine.

As for Frost, I like him... only because he won a national championship for us. However, had he never played for us, his name would never even be mentioned in these coaching threads.

David Shaw already has his "forever home." He's not going anywhere.

Dabo is great, but no way does he leave the recruiting hotbed of the southeast, where he's doing extremely well, to come to Lincoln.

That leaves 3 names that I consider to be logical, reasonable choices: Mark Richt (my personal #1 choice for reasons I've already mentioned numerous times), Tom Herman, and Justin Fuente.

So let's think who we could get? You have to be ready (even if you don't pull the trigger). Before today I thought Riley's chance of being gone after year 1 was like 5%. But it took a big jump today. I'd say it's up to 20%. Get blown off the field the last 3 games and it is going to be a 50/50 proposition so you have to be ready. I'll throw these names out there:

Scott Frost - his name is always going to be in the discussion. Do I think he is going to win big right away? No, but I just don't think he'd tolerate the crap we have been seeing and I think he'd be seen as a longer term solution, likely doesn't have the crony staff baggage, brings offense and defense back to the style that wins here.

I don't think you could get David Shaw from Stanford (even with big $) but has anyone tried big $ on Dabo Sweeney?

Gus Malzahn - hearing from Auburn fans their season is pretty much done, so what about Malzahn? Most of their fans are saying this is a transition year and they are expected to be good next year. If he fails expectations next year he may be in trouble. I think Malzhan could be pretty good here. He'd be a name to watch if Riley performs poorly again in year 2 and Auburn fans tire of him.

First off, Malzahn isn't going anywhere. He has the #1 dual threat QB committed for 2017 and he is an absolute stud. Auburn is having a down year, but they'll be fine.

As for Frost, I like him... only because he won a national championship for us. However, had he never played for us, his name would never even be mentioned in these coaching threads.

Dabo is great, but no way does he leave the recruiting hotbed of the southeast, where he's doing extremely well, to come to Lincoln.

That leaves 3 names that I consider to be logical, reasonable choices: Mark Richt (my personal #1 choice for reasons I've already mentioned numerous times), Tom Herman, and Justin Fuente.

What about Pat Narduzzi?

This entire staff should be fired. Period. There is no need for debate.

That being said, it's not going to happen on SE's watch. There will be some staff changes, and Riley will be given time to bring in his own guys. People will continue to convince themselves that things will get better. Well, I've got a spoiler for you: they won't.

Let's get Mark Richt. Georgia is only 5-3 after getting mud stomped by Florida today. I bet Bulldog fans won't miss him. :devil

Exactly what I said earlier this year. Both he and the fans are looking for a change. Come to Nebraska and bring his Top 5 recruiting class with him.

What about Pat Narduzzi?

I'd be OK with him, I suppose. My biggest concern is the ability to recruit, which is why I have Richt at the top.

While the miserable fair weather fans cry and call for firings, all the Coaches that have been fired are laughing their tailends off. Also none of you can fire me. So I'll stick around and grab you by the back of the neck and rub your noses in the pile of excrament you now live in. I'll support the Huskers and cheer for the effort given that day, I'll even applaud the other team for their showing. Thats how Husker FANS behave.

That being said, it's not going to happen on SE's watch. There will be some staff changes, and Riley will be given time to bring in his own guys. People will continue to convince themselves that things will get better. Well, I've got a spoiler for you: they won't.

Let's get Mark Richt. Georgia is only 5-3 after getting mud stomped by Florida today. I bet Bulldog fans won't miss him. :devil

Exactly what I said earlier this year. Both he and the fans are looking for a change. Come to Nebraska and bring his Top 5 recruiting class with him.

I doubt they'd follow him to Nebraska.

What about Pat Narduzzi?
I'd be OK with him, I suppose. My biggest concern is the ability to recruit, which is why I have Richt at the top.
Is Richt recruiting game really transportable? He gets this great talents in his backyard. That would not be the case at Nebraska, so could he convince those kids to leave Georgia? That is a serious questions with out a fact-based answer. Also, if he is not winning with all that talent, what chance does he have when he does not have equal talent at Nebraska? Those are some LARGE question marks that no one can answer. Not something you want for the next HC hire. If the next hire is a bust, we will be Minnesota (and not Jerry Kill's Minnesota).

I doubt they'd follow him to Nebraska.

Certainly not all of them, but some would.

What about Pat Narduzzi?
Is Richt recruiting game really transportable? He gets this great talents in his backyard. That would not be the case at Nebraska, so could he convince those kids to leave Georgia? That is a serious questions with out a fact-based answer. Also, if he is not winning with all that talent, what chance does he have when he does not have equal talent at Nebraska? Those are some LARGE question marks that no one can answer. Not something you want for the next HC hire. If the next hire is a bust, we will be Minnesota (and not Jerry Kill's Minnesota).

If you can recruit, you can recruit. That's the way I look at it. The best coaches assemble a top staff, recruiters that can lure big names to Lincoln.

Richt has wins over Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, and Les Miles, among others. He has multiple conference championships and has won BCS bowl games. The guy can coach. Things have just gotten stale and stagnant at Georgia, and it's time for a change. Richt certainly must realize that the road to the playoff is much easier in the B1G than it is in the SEC. He was born in Nebraska and cheered for the Huskers as a kid, and still has family here. He's as close to a slam-dunk hire as we can get, in my opinion.

What about Pat Narduzzi?
If you can recruit, you can recruit. That's the way I look at it. The best coaches assemble a top staff, recruiters that can lure big names to Lincoln.

Richt has wins over Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, and Les Miles, among others. He has multiple conference championships and has won BCS bowl games. The guy can coach. Things have just gotten stale and stagnant at Georgia, and it's time for a change. Richt certainly must realize that the road to the playoff is much easier in the B1G than it is in the SEC. He was born in Nebraska and cheered for the Huskers as a kid, and still has family here. He's as close to a slam-dunk hire as we can get, in my opinion.

It really does not make sense to take a chance on a guy that has not been performing up to his talent level of his teams. Why ask for more question marks with a HC hire? Pass.

While the miserable fair weather fans cry and call for firings, all the Coaches that have been fired are laughing their tailends off. Also none of you can fire me. So I'll stick around and grab you by the back of the neck and rub your noses in the pile of excrament you now live in. I'll support the Huskers and cheer for the effort given that day, I'll even applaud the other team for their showing. Thats how Husker FANS behave.

Real classy. You're really wanting us "fair weather" fans to be just like you. I'll cheer for the players like I always do, they're the real victims here. But there is no part of me that can cheer for the coaches after another abysmal performance.

• Fire 1

So in other words, you're content with being a national laughing stock and totally irrelevant in the college football landscape.

Sorry, but since 1983 I have considered Nebraska football to be the highest standard. I have never lived in Nebraska and have only visited the state twice in my 40+ years on this planet. Over the years Nebraska football was one thing I could always count on. I knew that nearly every week they would win and I came to understand what excellence was and the expectations this program should uphold.

Right now none of those expectations are being met. And it's not just this year, but for many years now. I refuse to sit by and just watch while this once mighty program is reduced to mush. We can be a power again. But sitting around and hoping for things to change just isn't going to get it done.

Riley was the wrong hire, plain and simple. He's in over his head and that became apparent the day he chose to hire all of his former chums to be on the staff, rather than assembling a top-notch one. They have failed and failed miserably. The experiment is a complete and total failure.

So, we have two options: sit back and languish in the bowels of the B1G for the next several years, or do something about it. Fear of the unknown should not be a reason for retaining a football coach -- especially one who is on his way to the worst season in the history of Nebraska football.

Therefore, I say we do something about it. Hire a young gung-ho guy like Herman looking to make a name for himself, or an established guy like Richt, who is looking to rejuvenate himself.

I refuse to accept the crap we have been served every week. I support the players, and feel sorry for them. They deserve better, and the only way they'll get better are if changes are made.

If that makes me a bad fan, so be it.

What about Pat Narduzzi?

It really does not make sense to take a chance on a guy that has not been performing up to his talent level of his teams. Why as for more question marks? Pass.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. But it's not like Georgia is losing against less-talented teams. They're losing to teams with equal talent -- Bama, Florida, Ole Miss, LSU. There's no way you're gonna win them all. It's not like they're losing to the Illinois and Purdues of the world.

What about Pat Narduzzi?

It really does not make sense to take a chance on a guy that has not been performing up to his talent level of his teams. Why as for more question marks? Pass.
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. But it's not like Georgia is losing against less-talented teams. They're losing to teams with equal talent -- Bama, Florida, Ole Miss, LSU. There's no way you're gonna win them all. It's not like they're losing to the Illinois and Purdues of the world.
He still lost to Nebraska two years ago. If he has equal talent to Alabama and can't win, what do you expect he can do at Nebraska, which has talent but not at the level of Alabama currently? Hard pass.