Overtime: Purdue Post-game Overreaction

Mavric

Truthfully I don't understand why we fired Bo, without having a guy in our sights, or at least the RIGHT guy in our pocket to take the job.

If you're in an abusive marriage, you get a divorce. Period. Even if you don't have a supermodel lying in wait, even if it costs you the house, you get out of that relationship.

Yeah, cause obviously an abusive marriage is that same thing as a Bo Pelini coached team.

He resented the fanbase, the media, and the athletic department, he didn't want to be here, and it consistently led to the ugliest kinds of blowouts and losses or ugly close wins against inferior competition. What about that sounds at all healthy?

Bo was fired because he was a meanie head to Pearlman and Eichorst. Bo didn't like the media and the media didn't help his cause. Bo said F U to a few fairweather fans, but actually praised the majority Nebraska's fan base.

But here's the thing. Bo was fired because he couldn't get us over the hump to winning big games and championships. "Not going to let Nebraska turn into Iowa". Which is fine as long as you don't hire a coach worse than Bo. Guess what Eichorst did? He hired a coach who just lost to a 1-6 Purdue team and gave up 55 points.

Karma bit Eichorst in the a$$. Iowa is top 10 the year after he makes that remark and NU is now 3-6 on their way to 3-9

• Fire 2

Truthfully I don't understand why we fired Bo, without having a guy in our sights, or at least the RIGHT guy in our pocket to take the job.

If you're in an abusive marriage, you get a divorce. Period. Even if you don't have a supermodel lying in wait, even if it costs you the house, you get out of that relationship.

Yeah, cause obviously an abusive marriage is that same thing as a Bo Pelini coached team.

He resented the fanbase, the media, and the athletic department, he didn't want to be here, and it consistently led to the ugliest kinds of blowouts and losses or ugly close wins against inferior competition. What about that sounds at all healthy?

Bo was fired because he was a meanie head to Pearlman and Eichorst. Bo didn't like the media and the media didn't help his cause. Bo said F U to a few fairweather fans, but actually praised the majority Nebraska's fan base.

But here's the thing. Bo was fired because he couldn't get us over the hump to winning big games and championships. "Not going to let Nebraska turn into Iowa". Which is fine as long as you don't hire a coach worse than Bo. Guess what Eichorst did? He hired a coach who just lost to a 1-6 Purdue team and gave up 55 points.

Karma bit Eichorst in the a$$. Iowa is top 10 the year after he makes that remark and NU is now 3-6 on their way to 3-9

Exactly. And Nebraska has a good chance of getting the crap beat out them by Iowa.

So let's think who we could get? You have to be ready (even if you don't pull the trigger). Before today I thought Riley's chance of being gone after year 1 was like 5%. But it took a big jump today. I'd say it's up to 20%. Get blown off the field the last 3 games and it is going to be a 50/50 proposition so you have to be ready. I'll throw these names out there:

Justin Fuente - hot name, likely will be grabbed by one of the open programs.

Scott Frost - his name is always going to be in the discussion. Do I think he is going to win big right away? No, but I just don't think he'd tolerate the crap we have been seeing and I think he'd be seen as a longer term solution, likely doesn't have the crony staff baggage, brings offense and defense back to the style that wins here.

I don't think you could get David Shaw from Stanford (even with big $) but has anyone tried big $ on Dabo Sweeney?

Gus Malzahn - hearing from Auburn fans their season is pretty much done, so what about Malzahn? Most of their fans are saying this is a transition year and they are expected to be good next year. If he fails expectations next year he may be in trouble. I think Malzhan could be pretty good here. He'd be a name to watch if Riley performs poorly again in year 2 and Auburn fans tire of him.

Here is the thing. You CAN'T get a big name guy that is already a winner because he's not going to leave where he's winning at. Unless it's to the NFL.

So you either take a coach who struggled or is struggling somewhere and hope the resources at NU and dynamic of NU is a benefit to the coach and vice versa. Or you take a chance on the next up and coming guy.

To me, you have to look at 4 guys. THATS IT.

Justin Fuente

Tom Herman

Scott Frost

Troy Calhoun

• Fire 1

No excuse. Wisconsin's team is just as beat up, maybe even more beat up than we are and held Purdue to 7 points. I would've been upset, but understood losing to Purdue if we held them to under 20 points, and just couldn't get the offense going with Fyfe under center. But 55 points....c'mon man Indiana St. put up only 38 on them and we give up 55 points to Purdue? That's inexcusable.

• Fire 2

I see a high correlation between the Huskers performance and the negative remarks on this site. Since T.O. left everyone is calling for someone to be fired. Those who are unhappy should go find another team to follow because your attitude isn't the traditional Husker fan base. Soon we won't even be able to get a high school coach to come to Nebraska because of the back stabbers. Much less quality recruits. If you ever called for a firing you are the problem, because you have been wrong every time.

I see a high correlation between the Huskers performance and the negative remarks on this site. Since T.O. left everyone is calling for someone to be fired. Those who are unhappy should go find another team to follow because your attitude isn't the traditional Husker fan base. Soon we won't even be able to get a high school coach to come to Nebraska because of the back stabbers. Much less quality recruits. If you ever called for a firing you are the problem, because you have been wrong every time.

Correlation does not imply causation. But if you want to test out your theory, maybe we should take this board off the internet and see how our team plays. Most of us were pretty excited for Riley because it gave us hope that we would get better. Losses to Illinois, Northwester, and now 55 points given up to Purdue would turn any fan base sour. But sure, coaches should be like supreme court judges, ruling until they die. Sounds smart.

• Fire 1

I see a high correlation between you being a member of this board and a lack of national championships and conference championships. I think you should leave HuskerBoard as your membership has resulted in 0 championships.

I think Eichorst did do his job

I think the hiring of Riley was thoroughly vetted.

Neither Riley nor his staff has ever been successful except for a short period in the CFL.

IMO, Riley was not after a winning coach. He wanted a Ward Cleaver type of guy.

IMO, the hiring of Riley was a slap at Pelini

All of this is just my opinion

I think Eichorst did do his job

I think the hiring of Riley was thoroughly vetted.

Neither Riley nor his staff has ever been successful except for a short period in the CFL.

IMO, Riley was not after a winning coach. He wanted a Ward Cleaver type of guy.

IMO, the hiring of Riley was a slap at Pelini

All of this is just my opinion

Please tell me how taking a slap at Pelini is SE's job.

This is the dumbest thing I've heard in my entire life. And I once heard someone say they liked Crystal Pepsi.

• Fire 1