Timeline of Events

This is why it's important to make a more popular hire. A popular hire would be given more patience from the fans.

Riley had posted 3 losing seasons in the last 5 years. He's 62. He runs a pass first pro-style offense that doesn't match our current personnel. The hire didn't make sense on a number of levels and now he's losing here so fans are understandably frustrated.

• Fire 5

Here's a sobering addition to your timeline.

From 2003-2014, Riley was at Oregon State and many people here would say Nebraska was drifting in the wind.

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/calc-wp.pl?start=2003&end=2014&rpct=30&min=5&se=on&by=Win+Pct

In that timeframe, Nebraska had the 22nd best winning percentage in the country. Yes, even including the Callahan years.

Oregon State, where Pederhorst went to find his knight in shining armour, had the 47th best winning percentage during that same era.

And that's not including his earlier 2 year stint at Oregon State when he went 3-8 and 5-6.

Much of the toxicity is caused by Riley's poor coaching. He's already had too much time to screw things up. He's clearly in over his head and has no idea how to fix anything.

I wouldn't say that much of the toxicity is caused by poor coaching, and I do think we're underestimating the effect of the "attitude problem" that exists in this program and on this team. But that doesn't absolve Riley of any blame because I'm willing to bet there would be less of this stuff going on if the Huskers were 6-3 instead of 3-6 (ouch).

Basically, he's inherited a problem and hasn't done much to fix it. But to say the toxicity is caused by Riley is a bit of a stretch; the toxicity existed long before Riley's name came up for the Nebraska job.

Most of the players had bought in early. Through spring ball, we heard lots of good reports.

But how do you expect players to stay motivated when their coach repeatedly makes bonehead moves, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory? How do you expect 2nd string OL to feel when they have no chance of seeing the field? How do you think excellent running backs feel when they have no chance of running the ball due to their pass blocking abilities? How do you think any defensive players feel when they're stuck with Banker?

How do you think they feel when they know they would likely be 9-0 if Pelini was still here?

I don't think the record would be much, if any, better if Bo were still here. I am tired of hearing about him. He did his damage throughout the years. He is history. It's over and done. bo is NO MORE.

I personally feel like he and his 'contribution' needs to be forgotten and disregarded. We know he did some positive things but he did many negative things which for most fans and the University administration outweighed them. Move on from the Bo stuff. It is past and done. There is nothing positive left. Just damage repair and moving forward.

In this post, I'm trying to point out the obvious. How toxic of an environment Riley took over back in December 2014.

November 2014: Bo Pelini canned after defeating Iowa

November 2014: Almost all current players go with an online assault via twitter bashing the administration for firing Bo, for not having face to face meetings.

November 2014: Coach Kaz goes psycho in public over hearing the news

November 2014: Pelini audio tape comes out, bashing the Administration with slander.

December 2014: Mike Riley hired

December 2014: Mixed support felt around Husker Nation

January 2015: In Bowl Game, Coaching staff gets into it on the sideline (former staff)

March 2015: Spring Camp goes well under first year coach Mike Riley

March 2015: First Boliever casualty, LeRoy Alexander leaves NU and slanders the University on his way out via twitter.

March 2015: Randy Gregory joins in to continue to support former HC Bo Pelini

July 2015: Riley "accidentally" announces suspension of 5 Husker players for start of the season.

July 2015: Mike Rose Ivey tweets out something along the lines of adding fuel to the fire.

September 2015: Nebraska loses to BYU, Miami

September 2015: Alex Lewis drops bomb on NU fans on Facebook

October 2015: Nebraska loses to Illinois, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Purdue

October 2015: Alex Lewis mocks fans after loss against Illinois

October 2015: Matt Finnin tweets back to radio host that it's not the talent at N that's causing losses.

November 2015: Mike Riley is on the hot seat.

I know I'm missing a few things, probably major things, but this is such a toxic environment. I think we absolutely need to allow Mike Riley another year to continue to weed through the issues. Most of our issues reside in our players ability to handle adversity. Something Bo obviously never covered. When things go poorly, it's give up, blame everyone else and make sure everyone knows it.

It's so obvious that we could not have hired a coach this year that was going to lead us to the promised land. These players have been brain washed by Bo, that no matter who was hired, they weren't going to play for them the way you would see appropriate. Now, I'm NOT saying players aren't giving 100%. I am however saying, once things go wrong, they are quick to say amongst eachother, "what the heck are these coaches doing." Which is 100% NOT WHAT YOU WANT. Things went wrong under Bo as well, what happened do you recall? Players would question them, and Bo would just lose his sh#t on them. Do you recall the incident with a DB last year or the year before? Riley isn't going to do that.

Things will get better. It's a time issue. We need time to pass. It's going to be an extremely tough time for us, yes I get that. You have to buy-in. We can't continue to point the fingers when issues arise. Sure, do whatever you want in the privacy of your own home. But, if you want things to turn around within the program, just firing MR isn't going to get that done. You are going to have to change the way you handle yourself. Hopefully whoever our coach is, eventually in time, gets our players to do the same.

GBR.

"Almost all players go on Twitter to attack AD"

I stopped after this lie.

According to MattyIce "Almost all" is defined as at least one player

In this post, I'm trying to point out the obvious. How toxic of an environment Riley took over back in December 2014.

November 2014: Almost all current players go with an online assault via twitter bashing the administration for firing Bo, for not having face to face meetings.

November 2014: Pelini audio tape comes out, bashing the Administration with slander.

January 2015: In Bowl Game, Coaching staff gets into it on the sideline (former staff)

March 2015: First Boliever casualty, LeRoy Alexander leaves NU and slanders the University on his way out via twitter.

July 2015: Riley "accidentally" announces suspension of 5 Husker players for start of the season.

July 2015: Mike Rose Ivey tweets out something along the lines of adding fuel to the fire.

October 2015: Matt Finnin tweets back to radio host that it's not the talent at N that's causing losses.

I know I'm missing a few things, probably major things, but this is such a toxic environment. I think we absolutely need to allow Mike Riley another year to continue to weed through the issues. Most of our issues reside in our players ability to handle adversity. Something Bo obviously never covered. When things go poorly, it's give up, blame everyone else and make sure everyone knows it.

It's so obvious that we could not have hired a coach this year that was going to lead us to the promised land. These players have been brain washed by Bo, that no matter who was hired, they weren't going to play for them the way you would see appropriate. Now, I'm NOT saying players aren't giving 100%. I am however saying, once things go wrong, they are quick to say amongst eachother, "what the heck are these coaches doing." Which is 100% NOT WHAT YOU WANT. Things went wrong under Bo as well, what happened do you recall? Players would question them, and Bo would just lose his sh#t on them. Do you recall the incident with a DB last year or the year before? Riley isn't going to do that.

Things will get better. It's a time issue. We need time to pass. It's going to be an extremely tough time for us, yes I get that. You have to buy-in. We can't continue to point the fingers when issues arise. Sure, do whatever you want in the privacy of your own home. But, if you want things to turn around within the program, just firing MR isn't going to get that done. You are going to have to change the way you handle yourself. Hopefully whoever our coach is, eventually in time, gets our players to do the same.

GBR.

You are clueless. Go back and review. There were tons of players tweeting and spouting off.

GBR.

You are clueless. Go back and review. There were tons of players tweeting and spouting off.

Tons? At 200 lbs each, "tons" would be at least 20 guys. Link?

GBR.

psst...10...but carry on.

GBR.

Psst . . . tons . . . plural.

Matty, I applaud you for staying faithful. I also understand the stance of how firing another coach could be detrimental but I also disagree. That hinges on whether or not we hire the right guy.

Do we know for a fact that Tom Herman or Justin Fuente is the "right" guy? Do we know that Riley is the "right" guy?

No, we just have track records to look at. As has been stated over the summer, Riley, struggled at Oreg St. Career .500. Dennis Erickson did way better there. (Blah blah blah). Riley inherited a team that was 9-4 last year and we're currently at 3-6.

Herman, and this can be argued, is the reason for OSU winning the national championship last year. Ohio State returned every single major piece on offense and they are NOT the same group as they were before. What piece is missing? Tom Herman. Herman inherited at team that went 8-5 last year and currently has them at 8-0.

Herman is the perfect example of improvement in year 1. We HAVE to go get this guy before some one else does. It would be so completely foolish not to.

GBR.

Psst . . . tons . . . plural.

You're right!

This is why it's important to make a more popular hire. A popular hire would be given more patience from the fans.

Riley had posted 3 losing seasons in the last 5 years. He's 62. He runs a pass first pro-style offense that doesn't match our current personnel. The hire didn't make sense on a number of levels and now he's losing here so fans are understandably frustrated.

There was never a coach that would of been accepted by all. Hell it was a pissing match on who to hire anyway.

There was never a coach that would of been accepted by all. Hell it was a pissing match on who to hire anyway.

There were a lot of coaches that would've been a lot more acceptable than Riley. And all of them would've had more success.

There were a lot of coaches that would've been a lot more acceptable than Riley. And all of them would've had more success.

Ya sure. your good at speculating.