My son and I are both veterans, which is really not a big deal, but we'll be at the Iowa game together...our first game together since he enlisted 8 years ago. Can't wait. We'll be the loud, proud, standing most of the time duo in the North/West corner of the stadium.

!!!!!!!! GO BIG RED !!!!!!!!

Nice! My son and I are both veterans as well. I did 5 years 11 months and 17 days in the USAF from May 81 to May 87. My son did 10 years in the Army including 3 tours in Iraq. Almost 3 years ago now he was medically retired with 80% disability.

• Fire 1

I am hoping Elf that he is still able to carry on with life. It hurts most when we see our kids not able to live life to the fullest after what they have been through. Thank you for your service, and especially your son.

He has PTSD pretty bad, he and his family have no social life because of it. They don't go out to eat, they have it delivered or she goes and gets it. He broke his back pretty badly at one point (I never did get the story on that) and because of residual pain from that incident it got to a point where he couldn't wear his body armor all day w/o being shot full of pain killers. He also messed up a knee and a hip somehow. I'm just glad he made it home alive every time.

The statement some give all, often anymore is the easier, than what the families and kids go through. In my day kids died, now most or a lot of them are saved by medical advancement. It is terrible the lack of support for those family paying the price for rest of their lives. A friend of ours, son came home, not able to see, walk or use of one arm. Mentally diminished. We as a country need to do better by these kids.

• Fire 2

The statement some give all, often anymore is the easier, than what the families and kids go through. In my day kids died, now most or a lot of them are saved by medical advancement. It is terrible the lack of support for those family paying the price for rest of their lives. A friend of ours, son came home, not able to see, walk or use of one arm. Mentally diminished. We as a country need to do better by these kids.

Yes we do.

• Fire 1

Yes we do.

Agreed. The answers are difficult, though.

Sorry it's late, but yes happy V-Day. Thanks to all of those who have served.

It really brings perspective to life.