Empty seats at college football games

np_husker

Much of the problem has been attributed to the lackluster Wifi or other internet capabilities inside of stadiums. Much of the younger crowd is more interested in tweeting about the game, instagraming pictures of them at the game, etc. than with the game itself. If the internet is bad, they don't show up, even with cheap tickets and the vigor of youth on their side.

What a world we live in.

Not to pick on you but, it bugs me when people complain about this.

I'm 48 years old and I'll be on my phone during the game. Friends sitting somewhere else texting back and forth.

Checking scores. Checking tweets about our game. Etc.

I'm VERY into the game.

Suit yourself, again, the world we live in.

To those who enjoy it because they get to be the center of attention, well....cool.

Much of the problem has been attributed to the lackluster Wifi or other internet capabilities inside of stadiums. Much of the younger crowd is more interested in tweeting about the game, instagraming pictures of them at the game, etc. than with the game itself. If the internet is bad, they don't show up, even with cheap tickets and the vigor of youth on their side.

What a world we live in.

I'm 48 years old and I'll be on my phone during the game. Friends sitting somewhere else texting back and forth.

I'm VERY into the game.

To those who enjoy it because they get to be the center of attention, well....cool.

What????

What a world we live in.

I'm VERY into the game.

What????

The second part wasn't intended to be in response to you.

I know one thing that kept me from going to games for years as a young professional was the cost of the games. To take myself and my girlfriend to a game on top of gas, food, drinks, etc., was hundreds of dollars. On top of everything we were saving for in our lives it just made sense to only do that maybe once a year. It's just not very feasible for a lot of families whereas watching at home is more cost effective.

• Fire 1

Sadly its not just college football. See a TON of lower level empty seats for college football & hoops along with MLB. I think alot of it has to do with a lack of Wifi connection like someonelse said for the younger crowd, ticket prices and just the simple fact that pretty much every game your favorite Div 1 team plays is on tv or internet somewhere these days. There is NOTHING like the actuall gameday experience for me and my family, Regardless of our record we still drive from central Indiana to Lincoln at least twice a season for football games. Factor that in with attending at least one Purdue & IU game each year just because they are local B1G teams.

I think a lot of college stadiums need to change some or all of their bench seating to individual seats. Decrease capacity, increase fan comfort, charge premium for nicer seats.

We went to the Northwestern game this year and paid nearly $100 per ticket and those weren't even great seats. That's pretty cheap compared to Denver Bronco tickets which would be around $350 for comparable seats. Except the Broncos have individual seats instead of bench seats. I'm not saying I'd gladly pay $350 for one ticket, but like you, I'd pay more for individual seats instead of bench seating.