Dismal record in turnover margin

Saunders

This is Nebraska’s seventh consecutive season with a negative turnover margin. Since 2003, the Huskers have had more takeaways than giveaways just once — 2009. Once in 12 years!

» Here is perhaps the most important stat. Since 2012, Nebraska has played 28 games against Power-Five opponents who finished with winning records. Not great teams, just above-average.

Nebraska is 11-17 in those games with a cumulative turnover margin of — brace yourselves, folks — minus-35. That’s 34 takeaways (not good) and 69 giveaways (downright ugly). Of 390 offensive possessions in those games, 18 percent ended with a fumble or an interception.

» In those 28 games, the Huskers have won the turnover battle four times. They’ve lost it 22 times. (Twice NU was even). When Nebraska wins the turnover battle, it’s 4-0. When Nebraska doesn’t, it’s 7-17.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/chatelain-dismal-record-in-turnover-margin-perhaps-huskers-biggest-minus/article_326c5970-7f97-5b96-9aa7-6a53f27e0c9e.html

Not much else needs to be said. Fix it in 2016, or we'll be doing this all over again.

• Fire 4

This is Nebraska’s seventh consecutive season with a negative turnover margin. Since 2003, the Huskers have had more takeaways than giveaways just once — 2009. Once in 12 years!

» Here is perhaps the most important stat. Since 2012, Nebraska has played 28 games against Power-Five opponents who finished with winning records. Not great teams, just above-average.

Nebraska is 11-17 in those games with a cumulative turnover margin of — brace yourselves, folks — minus-35. That’s 34 takeaways (not good) and 69 giveaways (downright ugly). Of 390 offensive possessions in those games, 18 percent ended with a fumble or an interception.

» In those 28 games, the Huskers have won the turnover battle four times. They’ve lost it 22 times. (Twice NU was even). When Nebraska wins the turnover battle, it’s 4-0. When Nebraska doesn’t, it’s 7-17.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/chatelain-dismal-record-in-turnover-margin-perhaps-huskers-biggest-minus/article_326c5970-7f97-5b96-9aa7-6a53f27e0c9e.html

Not much else needs to be said. Fix it in 2016, or we'll be doing this all over again.

Yup. I thought that the offense this year would limit the TOs. I was wrong.

The TO margin, I hate to say it, was mostly on TA this year as I don't recall us losing too many fumbles. Really, and I also hate to say this, TA shoulders a good deal of the blame for a number of our losses this year. The INTs just killed us.

Penalties also a big issue again this year.

I'll give him blame for some of it, but the coaches have to put him in position to succeed. He's never been a precision passer, and asking him to transform into one is reckless. It's like asking a 7' guy to be your point guard, or a 5'6" guy to be your center. It's ill advised.

• Fire 3

From 2008-11, they were minus-8 in turnovers. From 2012-15, they’re minus-38! (There aren’t enough exclamation points for that sentence).

That’s not just last among above-average teams. That’s nearly last in the country. Only four FBS teams are worse over the four-year span: Hawaii (minus-54). Eastern Michigan (minus-48). Southern Miss (minus-44). Idaho (minus-42).

Their combined records: 39-155

This is not the company Nebraska wants to keep. Not if it has any hope of winning games like last Friday’s. Not if it has any hope of winning Big Ten championships

My God... There's your blueprint to success. Fix that, and fix it now.

The TO margin, I hate to say it, was mostly on TA this year as I don't recall us losing too many fumbles. Really, and I also hate to say this, TA shoulders a good deal of the blame for a number of our losses this year. The INTs just killed us.

Lost five fumbles this year.

From 2008-11, they were minus-8 in turnovers. From 2012-15, they’re minus-38! (There aren’t enough exclamation points for that sentence).

That’s not just last among above-average teams. That’s nearly last in the country. Only four FBS teams are worse over the four-year span: Hawaii (minus-54). Eastern Michigan (minus-48). Southern Miss (minus-44). Idaho (minus-42).

Their combined records: 39-155

This is not the company Nebraska wants to keep. Not if it has any hope of winning games like last Friday’s. Not if it has any hope of winning Big Ten championships

My God... There's your blueprint to success. Fix that, and fix it now.

Its amazing we did so well the past few years being that abysmal in TO margin.

I'll give him blame for some of it, but the coaches have to put him in position to succeed. He's never been a precision passer, and asking him to transform into one is reckless. It's like asking a 7' guy to be your point guard, or a 5'6" guy to be your center. It's ill advised.

Nailed it.

To me, it's a pretty 50/50 split for blame. I do feel some pity for TA this season simply because I don't think he's being asked to play to his strengths all the time. At the same time, he has to be better than some of the lame duck throws he likes to put up.

The team's 0-4 record this season when he throws 40 or more passes should be the big red flag.

• Fire 2

109th in fumbles gained, 95th in interceptions gained. This isn't all on Tommy. There's two sides of the story when you're talking turnover "margin" - and the defense isn't keeping up it's end of the deal.

They aren't good that's for sure, but also keep in mind the ball wasn't on the turf nearly as much as in past years. In Martinez's first 3 years, through 38 games he had 47 fumbles.

• Fire 2

Lost on top, gained on bottom...2008 through this year. That 13 is pretty rough. 26 seems about in line w/ where we've been. We took the risk from the zone-read exchange to the air so we're throwing INTs versus fumbling, but all-in-all about the same. Need to improve certainly, but not as dismal as some make this season out to be. The D needs to figure things out in this area more than the O IMO.

28, 23, 24, 19, 35, 29, 25, 26,

17, 28, 23, 18, 23, 18, 23, 13

Lost on top, gained on bottom...2008 through this year. That 13 is pretty rough. 26 seems about in line w/ where we've been. We took the risk from the zone-read exchange to the air so we're throwing INTs versus fumbling, but all-in-all about the same. Need to improve certainly, but not as dismal as some make this season out to be. The D needs to figure things out in this area more than the O IMO.

We need to flip those numbers. Averaging 2 turnovers a game is bad for any offense.

Frankly most of the interceptions aren't balls that require precision passes, he just has terrible decision making traits and thinks he can either throw the ball 70 yards off his back foot or hope for a miracle on a guy that is triple covered/bracketed.

And from some of the practice reports, it sounds likr langsdorf has made it pretty clear that crap can't happen.

I'll give you the argument that we should be running on 1st and 2nd down to put ourselves in more appealing 3rd down scenarios, but a qb at any level regardless of offense/skillset should know when to just chuck the ball out of bounds or take a sack if needed.

• Fire 1

We need to flip those numbers. Averaging 2 turnovers a game is bad for any offense.

Agree, but only 1 for any defense is far worse. You'd have to think a normal team would choke up 1 just on their own based on averages, which means we are rarely, if ever forcing turnovers. I can't think of a forced fumble this year - maybe Minny? And it's pretty damn hard to make an INT when the back of your head is to the ball.