Talent Metric - All Conference Teams

There isn't an easy way to judge the talent on a roster. However, in a different thread a poster cited Nebraska's selection of players named to an All Conference team as an indication that there was some talent on the roster. I wanted to take a look and see how Nebraska's selections matched up with the rest of the Big Ten. The information was used from a sheet provided from BTN.com found here.

Note that this is simply a raw count, some players showed up on the media list and some on the coaches list. A few times a player showed up on both, but on different spots. This data can be presented in many different ways, so feel free to take a look at the sheet they provided and crunch numbers yourself. For tie breakers, I gave the nod to a team that had more players selected to the first team.

From the looks of things, Nebraska lags behind the rest of the conference, particularly the upper half of the league. Take a look at the list and my rankings and make of it what you will.

At any rate, here's the tally:

Coaches:

#1 - Michigan - 21 selections (14 Honorable Mentions)

#2 - Ohio State - 19 selections

#3 - Michigan State - 15 selections

#4 - Iowa - 15 selections

#5 - Minnesota - 12 selections

#6 - Illinois - 11 selections

#7 - Indiana - 9 selections

#8 - Wisconsin - 9 selections

#9 - Northwestern - 8 selections

#10 - Nebraska - 8 selections

#11 - Penn State - 8 selections

#12 - Maryland - 6 selections

#13 - Purdue - 5 selections

#14 - Rutgers - 4 selections

Media:

#1 - Michigan - 21 selections

#2 - Ohio State - 20 selections

#3 - Iowa - 15 selections

#4 - Michigan State - 14 selections

#5 - Minnesota - 13 selections

#6 - Illinois - 11 selections

#7 - Indiana - 10 selections

#8 - Wisconsin - 10 selections

#9 - Penn State - 9 selections

#10 - Northwestern - 8 selections

#11 - Nebraska - 7 selections

#12 - Maryland - 6 selections

#13 - Rutgers - 6 selections

#14 - Purdue - 5 selections

• Fire 2

Quick review from 2014, looks like we had 10 overall. Looks like we had 2 first teamers in Gregory and Bell. A total of 3 2nd teamers taking in both polls.

Bottom line, last year we appeared to have better talent although Collins and Gerry (2nd team) were both back this year.

I appreciate you putting this together. Although I would think we are/were more talented than our record shows, the coaches and media did not think so. Conversely we beat "better" teams in Minnie and MSU, and lost to all of the ones with "more" talent and lost to "less" talented Purdue. That list shows me that NU has a way to go talent wise, however when they play their best, we can beat good teams. This year, poor coaching and self inflicted mistakes killed us. I really don't feel we got "beat" by anyone.

Quick review from 2014, looks like we had 10 overall. Looks like we had 2 first teamers in Gregory and Bell. A total of 3 2nd teamers taking in both polls.

Bottom line, last year we appeared to have better talent although Collins and Gerry (2nd team) were both back this year.

I appreciate you putting this together. Although I would think we are/were more talented than our record shows, the coaches and media did not think so. Conversely we beat "better" teams in Minnie and MSU, and lost to all of the ones with "more" talent and lost to "less" talented Purdue. That list shows me that NU has a way to go talent wise, however when they play their best, we can beat good teams. This year, poor coaching and self inflicted mistakes killed us. I really don't feel we got "beat" by anyone.

Our team is certainly more talented than our record. However, I do think the stats tell us that Nebraska simply isn't 'there' with the talent. I would argue that Nebraska really isn't very close either.

Time will tell if Nebraska can recruit well enough to warrant better numbers next year.

Except Nebraska had 9 selections, not 8. They also led the Big 10 with 4 players being selected for the Big 10 All Freshman team.

Nebraska All-Big Ten Honorees

1. Sam Foltz, Junior, Punter

Eddleman-Fields Punter of the Year

First-Team All-Big Ten (Coaches, Media)

2. Jordan Westerkamp, Junior, Wide Receiver

Second-Team All-Big Ten (Coaches, Media)

3. Maliek Collins, Junior, Defensive Tackle

Second-Team All-Big Ten (Coaches)

Third-Team All-Big Ten (Media)

4. Alex Lewis, Senior, Offensive Tackle

5. Drew Brown, Sophomore, PK

Second-Team All-Big Ten (Media)

Honorable-Mention All-Big Ten (Coaches)

6. Nate Gerry, Junior, Safety

7. Cethan Carter, Junior, Tight End

Honorable-Mention All-Big Ten (Media)

8. Andy Janovich, Senior, Fullback

9. Joshua Kalu, Sophomore, Cornerback

Nebaska All-Big Ten Freshman Team Honorees

1. WR: Stanley Morgan, Jr., Nebraska

2. OL: Nick Gates, Nebraska* T

3. L: Freedom Akinmoladun, Nebraska* E

4. LB: Dedrick Young, Nebraska

Except Nebraska had 9 selections, not 8. They also led the Big 10 with 4 players being selected for the Big 10 All Freshman team.

I wonder why those four Husker freshman saw the field? Why didn't as many freshmen see the field from teams like, say, Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan State?

So take this, and compare it to the overall talent composite rankings.

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite

Big Ten Rankings (National Ranking in parenthesis)

#1 (#3) Ohio State

#2 (#9)Michigan

#3 (#21)Penn State

#4 (#23)Michigan State

#5 (#24) Nebraska

When you compare the All-Conference teams to the talent rankings, it seems we underperformed. And it happens that this coincide's with the CFBMatrix Coach Effect.

• Fire 1

#1 (#3) Ohio State

#2 (#9)Michigan

#3 (#21)Penn State

#4 (#23)Michigan State

#5 (#24) Nebraska

When you compare the All-Conference teams to the talent rankings, it seems we underperformed. And it happens that this coincide's with the CFBMatrix Coach Effect.

Good stuff. Your matrix is counter to the "Riley can develop, do more with less" argument. I think our losses agree with this matrix in that we should not have lost to those teams we did and that the cause wasn't a drop in talent, but self inflicted mistakes and poor coaching.

IOWA AT 52!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you have one to show the rankings last year? I would be interested to see how we did when we won 9 games... If talent rankings was less or more than this year.

#1 (#3) Ohio State

#2 (#9)Michigan

#3 (#21)Penn State

#4 (#23)Michigan State

#5 (#24) Nebraska

Good stuff. Your matrix is counter to the "Riley can develop, do more with less" argument. I think our losses agree with this matrix in that we should not have lost to those teams we did and that the cause wasn't a drop in talent, but self inflicted mistakes and poor coaching.

IOWA AT 52!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you have one to show the rankings last year? I would be interested to see how we did when we won 9 games... If talent rankings was less or more than this year.

Riley normally is a + Coach effect guy (gets more out of his talent), and Dave (the CFB Matrix) even said as much when he was hired. But this year, not so much.

I wonder why those four Husker freshman saw the field? Why didn't as many freshmen see the field from teams like, say, Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan State?

At least at MSU they do. Three of the MSU dbs starting against NU were true freshman.

That's because names showed up on one list and not the other. A total of 9 names appeared, but on one list 8 names and an additional name on another.

Citing Nebraska's selections isn't a good barometer of talent, considering we ranked near the bottom in terms of selections.

Using this data http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/big10/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2015-16/misc_non_event/2015FootballAwards.pdf I assigned 4 pts for a 1st team selection, 3 for 2nd team, 2 for 3rd team selection. I didn't include the honorable mentions. Total points for each team is below (if formatting doesn't mess up).

Ohio State 41

Michigan State 36

Iowa 23

Michigan 20

Northwestern 18

Wisconsin 14

Penn State 13

Indiana 12

Nebraska 9

Maryland 8

Illinois 2

Minnesota 2

Purdue 0

It seems to make more sense then number of selections.

Edit: Coaches selections, offense and defense only

Guys. Honors follow record. The notion that all conf honors are a good proxy for talent is fundamentally flawed. See, for example, trying to claim that Iowa has more raw ability than NU on its roster.

I know some of you want to cling to the theory that NU wasn't talented, but it just doesn't hold up to any legitimate scrutiny.

Guys. Honors follow record. The notion that all conf honors are a good proxy for talent is fundamentally flawed. See, for example, trying to claim that Iowa has more raw ability than NU on its roster.

I know some of you want to cling to the theory that NU wasn't talented, but it just doesn't hold up to any legitimate scrutiny.

Nothing is a perfect method of determining the talent on a roster. But would you not agree that the most talented teams in the conference were Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State? Or that the least talented teams were Rutgers and Purdue?

It's something that should be considered along with other measures, I simply wanted to find out how Nebraska compared to others.

Nothing is a perfect method of determining the talent on a roster. But would you not agree that the most talented teams in the conference were Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State? Or that the least talented teams were Rutgers and Purdue?

It's something that should be considered along with other measures, I simply wanted to find out how Nebraska compared to others.

I didn't have any problems with the selections for Iowa or Nebraska. If you consider the rest of the players on the teams to be adequate and the the B1G all conference players to be the difference makers that win games, it makes sense that it's a fairly accurate measurement of talent, IMO. We could wait a couple of years to see what the NFL thinks.