Older guy here, and alum. My user name reflects the fact I first became a Husker fan sitting on my grandpa's knee, listening to Husker games in he early/mid 60s...and remember hearing folks saying thing that made me think they were happy to have a winning season. So I remember both sets of glory years...the two in the 70s and those in the 90s. But I became a "love it to the core, this team is, and always will be MY team with the deflected two point try in the 83 orange bowl. I was a big fan of the stability and longevity of the entire coaching staff in those days as much as I was of the actual team on the field. It was all part of one program.

As for Frost, I'll echo what a lot of folks have said already. It is good to see him get some experience at a place other than Nebraska. A young coach like him, if successful at his first gig, is going to be a hot commodity, and want to leverage that spotlight to "take a step up". I think it would be ideal for us to have Riley for another 3 years, maybe 4 (if he can pull it together and get back to having good seasons), then open the door for a successful Frost to return home. He'd have gotten the "hot shot new coach" recognition and might be less likely to bolt in 2 - 3 years if he does well at NU. Maybe then he'd have a chance to put together somewhat of a stable, long term team of coaches here as well.

One can hope. I'd take him if he shows well at UCF for the next few years.

That is an old guy's opinions.

FWIW...welcome to the board, and to the Big Red family young scholar.

You are missing the point Grandpa.If and probably when he is successful in florida. I seriously doubt he will becoming here, he will be getting better offers than us. Be realistic

and not a homer, why would he? Really why would he

Simply because he won a natty here silly. I ran with Scott in track in high school and he loves the state, the people, and is a HUGE husker fan. You want to know why he'd come here, look no further than that.

How about this" Show me the money" that might be the fly in the ointment. I am stunned how people think we are still some destination job. Guess what we ain't and every yr. we get just a little bit smaller on the national scene.

Stunned that some people think this is not a destination job.

1. One of the all-time winningest programs

2. State-of-the-art facilities

3. Pay check that will be in the millions and comparable to other big time programs

4. Rabid fan-base that has sold out every single game for a half-century

• Fire 4

You guys should really consider writing some of this down so we don't have to go over it again and again.

No body with any brains thinks Scott is qualified to come here from Oregon. See what he can do elsewhere first.

New first time head coaches at Nebraska in the last 50 years:

Tom Osborne - .836

Frank Solich - .753

Bo Pelini - .713

New "experienced" coaches at Nebraska in the last 50 years:

Bill Callahan - .551

Mike Riley - .417

• Fire 5

You guys should really consider writing some of this down so we don't have to go over it again and again.

No body with any brains thinks Scott is qualified to come here from Oregon. See what he can do elsewhere first.

Tom Osborne - .836

Frank Solich - .753

Bo Pelini - .713

Bill Callahan - .551

Mike Riley - .417

Quit using your facts to prove a point. We perfer the use of speculative fiction around here.

• Fire 1

Tom Osborne - .836

Frank Solich - .753

Bo Pelini - .713

Bill Callahan - .551

Mike Riley - .417

Quit using your facts to prove a point. We perfer the use of speculative fiction around here.

But those two are the same thing in RADAR's world.

Tom Osborne - .836

Frank Solich - .753

Bo Pelini - .713

Bill Callahan - .551

Mike Riley - .417

GBRedneck...

That's a very smart comment... thanks.

Interesting and very informative.

• Fire 2

Older guy here, and alum. My user name reflects the fact I first became a Husker fan sitting on my grandpa's knee, listening to Husker games in he early/mid 60s...and remember hearing folks saying thing that made me think they were happy to have a winning season. So I remember both sets of glory years...the two in the 70s and those in the 90s. But I became a "love it to the core, this team is, and always will be MY team with the deflected two point try in the 83 orange bowl. I was a big fan of the stability and longevity of the entire coaching staff in those days as much as I was of the actual team on the field. It was all part of one program.

As for Frost, I'll echo what a lot of folks have said already. It is good to see him get some experience at a place other than Nebraska. A young coach like him, if successful at his first gig, is going to be a hot commodity, and want to leverage that spotlight to "take a step up". I think it would be ideal for us to have Riley for another 3 years, maybe 4 (if he can pull it together and get back to having good seasons), then open the door for a successful Frost to return home. He'd have gotten the "hot shot new coach" recognition and might be less likely to bolt in 2 - 3 years if he does well at NU. Maybe then he'd have a chance to put together somewhat of a stable, long term team of coaches here as well.

You are missing the point Grandpa.If and probably when he is successful in florida. I seriously doubt he will becoming here, he will be getting better offers than us. Be realistic

Simply because he won a natty here silly. I ran with Scott in track in high school and he loves the state, the people, and is a HUGE husker fan. You want to know why he'd come here, look no further than that.

How about this" Show me the money" that might be the fly in the ointment. I am stunned how people think we are still some destination job. Guess what we ain't and every yr. we get just a little bit smaller on the national scene.

1. One of the all-time winningest programs " Do you think that carries much weight when we haven't won anything that matters in far too long? No top 10 rankings, ass beatings on TV "

2. State-of-the-art facilities " We are far from alone in this"

3. Pay check that will be in the millions and comparable to other big time programs " I am not sure but I don't think we are even in the top 15-20 of salaries paid"

4. Rabid fan-base that has sold out every single game for a half-century " Do you really think this is that much of a draw? really! "

Ya haven't ya noticed how people have been lining up for this "Destination" job

If he succeeds at UCF he will be in the market for a football powerhouse. Sadly Nebraska has fallen out of that category. We are Oregon State, Kansas, Indiana, all rolled into one. It is sad but true. And I am not sure how long it will take to get back into the top ten. Recruiting is much more difficult than it was back in the Osborne years plus neither Riley nor Frost are TO. The only way we succeed in the next decade is if Riley can win a conference championship before he retires because if he doesn't then we will begin the rebuild process once again with a different guy.

Also, there has to be a reason it has taken him so long to get a head coach job. One would think that with the winning Oregon did while he was there under Chip Kelly, he would have been snapped up by a mid major sooner than now.

Tom Osborne - .836

Frank Solich - .753

Bo Pelini - .713

Bill Callahan - .551

Mike Riley - .417

What facts would that be.

1. One of the all-time winningest programs " Do you think that carries much weight when we haven't won anything that matters in far too long? No top 10 rankings, ass beatings on TV "

3. Pay check that will be in the millions and comparable to other big time programs " I am not sure but I don't think we are even in the top 15-20 of salaries paid"

4. Rabid fan-base that has sold out every single game for a half-century " Do you really think this is that much of a draw? really! "

we don't have a job opening for people to line up for. So, no we wouldn't have people lining up for this.

Tom Osborne - .836

Frank Solich - .753

Bo Pelini - .713

Bill Callahan - .551

Mike Riley - .417

Osborne was a longtime asst.

Frank was a longtime asst, that failed when he ran out of Oz players

Bo won mostly meaningless games

Frost is just another risk with more downside right now than promise.

Tom Osborne - .836

Frank Solich - .753

Bo Pelini - .713

Bill Callahan - .551

Mike Riley - .417

Osborne was a longtime asst.

Frank was a longtime asst, that failed when he ran out of Oz players

Bo won mostly meaningless games

Frost is just another risk with more downside right now than promise.

At least you didn't make excuses for the experienced group.

There are maybe a half dozen coaches who wouldn't be considered a risk, and that assumes they are available, affordable and willing to come to Nebraska.

We're kinda special at Nebraska, but not THAT special. We have to take risks.

I don't think Scott Frost would have been a bad risk. But not a slam dunk, either.

I'm wide open to giving hotshot young assistants and coordinators the keys to the Nebraska football team, especially if they thought it was cool and were willing to work their ass off.

And I'd give them at least three seasons before second-guessing every move they make.

Tom Osborne - .836

Frank Solich - .753

Bo Pelini - .713

Bill Callahan - .551

Mike Riley - .417

Looking at these two posts I see a very rare situation: Both of your arguments are wrong.

RADAR: While Frost has not yet been a head coach he's a proven leader and has plenty of coaching experience. He's seen how things work at Nebraska both on the field and on the sideline. He held multiple positions at Oregon, one of the better run programs in college football, and also Kansas State. And I'm sure he picked up a bit of know how from his playing days with four NFL franchises.

GBRedneck: Ha ha! Those are some nice stats. But you know what they say about statistics. Numbers aside though, you can't possibly think that lack of experience trumps experience when comes to selecting a coach. It doesn't.

we don't have a job opening for people to line up for. So, no we wouldn't have people lining up for this.

Hey Einstein, I didn't mean this very moment lol