Epley's comments on Talent

Warrior10

If Tom Herman or Jim Harbaugh had come to Lincoln instead of Riley and gone 5-7 in their first year with the same amount of talent on the roster, would people have this much hatred for them as they do Riley?

Honest... heart felt... accurate... criticism or critique... is not hatred.

It's actually a sign of respect, because it means you care enough about something to be honest which can sometimes be a very difficult thing to do in this crazy world of participation trophies.

Otherwise that would mean that Boyd hates the players... and we ALL know that's not true. I think Boyd would feel free to criticize or critique any player no matter what a big shot they are if he felt they deserved it. It's not hatred and it doesn't hurt the person.

It's part of life and a huge part of sports. Always has been.

• Fire 2

I revert back to the statement where someone said they are thinking you really have no clue what you are talking about.

Of course, that's got to be it. :thumbs

Chuck Norris described himself as being un-athletic and on top of that, he broke his shoulder during his first two weeks of marital arts training. Yet he retired as undefeated Middleweight Full Contact Karate champion. Do you think that was because of some "revealed talent" or because he practiced for five hours every day?

So....

You are honestly...with a straight face....telling me that if I had only worked harder when I was younger I could have been as good as Irving Fryer as a WR or Mike Rozier as a RB or Turner Gill as a QB...Or...if I so choose, I could have been the next Dave Rimington. All I was missing is the hard work they obviously put in.

• Fire 1
So because you think Harbaugh is a better coach than Riley you wouldn't sh#t on him as much as you have Riley?

Are we talking about the real Harbaugh at 9-3 his first year, or the mythical Harbaugh that would be 5-7 this year at Nebraska? I'm thinking a mythical 5-7 Harbaugh gets sh#t on as well, but a 9-3 Harbaugh doesn't...which means it boils down to the 9-3 vs. 5-7...and how that 5-7 transpired.

So because you think Harbaugh is a better coach than Riley you wouldn't sh#t on him as much as you have Riley?

Are we talking about the real Harbaugh at 9-3 his first year, or the mythical Harbaugh that would be 5-7 this year at Nebraska? I'm thinking a mythical 5-7 Harbaugh gets sh#t on as well, but a 9-3 Harbaugh doesn't...which means it boils down to the 9-3 vs. 5-7...and how that 5-7 transpired.

Reading up a few posts would have done you some good..

I revert back to the statement where someone said they are thinking you really have no clue what you are talking about.

Chuck Norris described himself as being un-athletic and on top of that, he broke his shoulder during his first two weeks of marital arts training. Yet he retired as undefeated Middleweight Full Contact Karate champion. Do you think that was because of some "revealed talent" or because he practiced for five hours every day?

So....

You are honestly...with a straight face....telling me that if I had only worked harder when I was younger I could have been as good as Irving Fryer as a WR or Mike Rozier as a RB or Turner Gill as a QB...Or...if I so choose, I could have been the next Dave Rimington. All I was missing is the hard work they obviously put in.

Ben Hogan always said that anyone that didn't have some sort of physical disabilty could learn to shoot scratch golf. I agree with him. But most people aren't willing to put in the amount of effort required, mostly because there are no guarantees.

So in principle, I agree with Bowfin.

So....

Honestly, I don't see how you could have ever amounted to anything in the past or will in the foreseeable future.

So you win.

• Fire 1

So....

Ben Hogan always said that anyone that didn't have some sort of physical disabilty could learn to shoot scratch golf. I agree with him. But most people aren't willing to put in the amount of effort required, mostly because there are no guarantees.

I'm not talking golf.

It's a simple yes or no question. You have never seen me, or know me or have any clue what I was like athletically as a child. Do you believe I could have been the next Irving Fryar, Mike Rozier, Turner Gill or Dave Rimington if I had only worked harder?

So....

Honestly, I don't see how you could have ever amounted to anything in the past or will in the foreseeable future.

So you win.

So....I guess you aren't going to answer the question? If you would simply have the work ethic, I bet you could answer it.

So....

BRB

I was a total sports nut the whole time I was growing up. I probably played in more than a thousand football games (city parks and school). We would sometimes play in 3 games every day in the summer in our cities parks plus playing at school in the fall. Great way to grow up.

And for guys who love the sport... the desire never leaves us... ever.

So....

I'm not talking golf.

It's a simple yes or no question. You have never seen me, or know me or have any clue what I was like athletically as a child. Do you believe I could have been the next Irving Fryar, Mike Rozier, Turner Gill or Dave Rimington if I had only worked harder?

Hogan didn't say you could be the next Hogan, or the next Old Tom Morris. He said you could play scratch golf.

Without knowing your build, I wouldn't say you could be the next Dave Rimington or the next Kareem Abdul-Jabar. But I would say, from the time you're a small child, if you love a particular team sport enough to spend every waking minute playing, learning and improving at it, then you could make it to the highest level of that sport.

I would never tell anybody anything different. Heh, and I get accused of being a pessimist.

If Tom Herman or Jim Harbaugh had come to Lincoln instead of Riley and gone 5-7 in their first year with the same amount of talent on the roster, would people have this much hatred for them as they do Riley?

People would be more patient with a hire they believed in more than Riley. People would believe that the better/more popular hire would turn it around after a bad 1st season, there's much less belief that Riley will, fair or not.

I'm hoping for the best but Riley's had 4 losing seasons in his last 6 years. There's ample reason for skepticism, although I don't like the mean spirited stuff, it's unnecessary.

So....

Perhaps Ben Hogan is correct with regards to golf. But you need natural athletic abilities to excel in football.

So....

BRB

I was a total sports nut the whole time I was growing up. I probably played in more than a thousand football games (city parks and school). We would sometimes play in 3 games every day in the summer in our cities parks plus playing at school in the fall. Great way to grow up.

And for guys who love the sport... the desire never leaves us... ever.

I hear ya. I have recurring dreams about playing football.

Reading up a few posts would have done you some good..

Nope. Same answer. Riley at 5-7 doesn't get a pass. This board had decreed last year that anyone can get nine wins at Nebraska, so anybody and everybody who would have went 5-7 gets the big dump.

If you disagree, go back about 40-45 pages and take it up with those who said it, not me.